It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #1

skybornmusic HB User
Question eating at night

I have always found that I can lose weight more successfully when I do not eat at night -- no huge late dinners and no snacking between dinner and bed. What I have never been able to figure out, though, is this: do I lose more weight that way because I tend to eat unhealthy things if I snack late? Or is there something inherently bad about eating at night? In other words, if I were to eat the exact same foods two days in a row, but one was in meals spread out over the day and the other was all at night, would I gain or lose the same amount of weight?

(In that extreme, it's kind of a moot point for me because I never eat all my day's food at night. But sometimes, if I eat dinner at 6:00 and then rehearse from 7-10:30, I am starving for a snack when I get home at 11:00. By eating that snack am I hindering my own weight loss?)

Old 06-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Generally, the reason you should not eat late at night is simply because you will be sleeping, not burning calories.... we burn calories through the day, just through our normal activities... when we eat before we sleep, that food basically just sits around, turning into fat Typically, they say don't eat carbs past 4... but not to eat 3 hours before you go to bed... That is the premise of all of those "liquids" you drink before going to bed (you will notice they say not to eat 3 hours before bed...but they promise weight loss... well duh! You will lose some weight if you stop snacking at night... gimmicks, they are all gimmicks!!! LOL) If you snack at night, make it fresh veggies or protein... nothing with sugars or starchy carbs...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2003, 01:37 PM   #3

skybornmusic HB User
So my nighttime snack won't just sit idly in my stomach until I get up and start burning it in the morning? Darn.

How is a cup of warm milk as a nighttime snack? It keeps me from waking up starving at two a.m. and it helps me get to sleep.

Old 06-12-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
some may disagree since milk has carbs... but I don't see the harm in it, I would make it skim milk... but me personally, i see nothing wrong with it... I would go with a smaller amount of milk... but I love warm milk at night

Old 06-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #5

annes73 HB User
As a rule I don't eat after dinner. If my dinner is at 4pm or 7pm, I don't eat past dinner. Your body needs that sleep time to just rest! It doesn't want to have to spend its time digesting a snack. Besides, you will wake up with much more energy in the a.m., I promise!!
Try a mug of warm herbal tea like chamomile (sp?) or lemon. It will relax you and help you fall asleep. just my opinion! Good Luck!annes73

------------------
Children are Precious.....Lets keep them Safe!!!
H-5'5" F

Closed Thread