It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
(male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User
Thumbs down Too Skinny?

I'am a 6' tall male and I weigh 180lbs. I used to weigh 245? at my highest.

I, no longer, want to lose anymore weight. I would like to hit the weightroom some more and cut down on the cardio because I feel like I am at a good weight.

Over the past 2 months, I've had 3 different people tell me that I am now too skinny. There are people who are skinnier than me that never hear this but because I used to be overweight, I guess I am.

Do any of you that have lost weight ever get this? I thought that I would like to hear people say that but its really starting to bother me.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I'd say you should learn to enjoy it. Big deal if people think you look too skinny. That's better than them thinking you look fat. Also consider that they're probably saying to make you feel good. They may not really mean it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
(male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User
At first it was cool to hear but one specific lady I work with gave me a 20 minute talk about how worried she was about me as if I am starving myself or something. She made me promise her that I wouldn't lose anymore weight Oh well, like you said, I'd rather hear that I was too skinny rather than too overweight.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I would politely tell her to mind her own business. Some people are so used to seeing you one way that if they see a big change, they automatically assume something's wrong. I'm in a similar situation where I work, except I never got a 20 minute talk. If it feels like I'm about to get such a talk, I usually cut the person off.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
V6 -

I know that eating disorders are nothing to laugh at, but this lady at work may be just trying to sabotage your good results.

I think you should discuss your weight with your physician.

However, as for the lady at work, Could you go to lunch with her one day, take a sandwich out of a bag, cut the crusts off, eat the crusts, and throw the sandwich away? Then have a grape for dessert. Sorry, I just get snotty when people get too in depth in my business.

jdog

Old 06-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
I agree with everyone here. Unfortunately I have had much experience losing weight(because I cant seem to keep it off), and I hear similar comments every time - not to the extent of lecturing though - but people saying I'm getting too thin - and I would still be 20lbs away from what I am supposed to weigh! I agree that people are used to seeing you heavier and to see a change takes a while for them to get used to. I also believe that some of them dont want to see someone else succeed because they are having a hard time succeeding themselves. Then there are people that are already thin that I feel are treatened in a way because you are getting in on their territory, so to speak...
Congrats to you! I would just enjoy having people saying that I am skinny and just laugh people like that lady off and ignore them....
Have a great day!!

Old 06-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy63:
I also believe that some of them dont want to see someone else succeed because they are having a hard time succeeding themselves. Then there are people that are already thin that I feel are treatened in a way because you are getting in on their territory, so to speak.
Yep, people can have all sorts of motives to hinder your weight loss. They could be jealous and not want you to succeed. They may be thin and feel threatened if you're thin also. They may even be the type who just loves to find something wrong with someone else so that they can come in and give advice. Bottom line is to ignore this person.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

SunKissed HB User
Don't worry about the other people! They are jealous to see you suceeding most likely because they can't. I lost 45 pounds and a person who I used to be friends with commented "Did you see how skinny her legs were?" In reality-they were not like "bone" thin or w/e, I had just been working out and losing weight and they were more muscular and toned. But she cannot get over the fact I have lost the weight and she is still her same size. I basically do not worry about these people because it's my body, my life, I'm going to do what's good for it. Do what you want and lose the weight you want, because it's your body not theirs and they are just jealous!! Good luck

Old 06-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
(male)

V6 Jeep 4x4 HB User
Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said above. I've actually been on both sides of the fence I must admit.

I joined a gym 4 years ago with a buddy of mine. I was about 215 and he was 265. In a years time, I was 230 and he was 185.

He tried everything to get me to go to the gym with him but I'd always have an excuse or a reason not too.

After the year, I was ******. (not necesarily at him but for whatever reason I did hold some resentment towards him.)Human Nature I guess.

Finally, all is good. (Now I'm the one dragging him out there)

Old 06-12-2003, 03:29 PM   #10

Alexandros HB User
Maybe they are partially right. Who knows, we do not have much information.

Be honest, is your physique in proportion? Or are you arms really skinny, your neck skinny, your legs skinny, etc. with most of your weight centered around your gut. With your height and 180 pounds as long as you are in proportion you should look fine. If you are not proportioned and fit then it is possible with a baggy shirt on to look skinny.

Closed Thread