It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #1

annes73 HB User
Cool Water or Juice Fasting

Has anyone tried or know an information about Water Fasting. I have been reading about it on-line and it seems very interesting. I have heard of doing a 24hour water fast before doing a fat fast to break a plateau. These wateror juice fasts generally last 10 days plus. Some even 30 days. Supposedly they are very popular in Europe! Anyways, they are suppose to cleanse the body and rid it of toxins. it is also know to heal many ailments. As well it is supposedly great for weight loss at the same time. At the end of the fasting period you spend a number of days drinking fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh juices so as not to 'shock' your body. Anyways, anyone heard or tried it? this is something that really interests me and was hoping for some feed back!

------------------
Children are Precious.....Lets keep them Safe!!!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I have done 2 different fasts before... one was a juice fast (similar to the 48 hr "hollywood" crap that is out now) and one fast where I had nothing but fresh fruit... both I used as a cleanse and it did just that... cleansed... I lost weight but gained it right back... I was not doing it to lose weight, but I try to do some sort of "cleanse" monthly in order to keep everything flowing... fruit fasts are good for that but I would not do it for more than 2 days... make sure you are taking a multi and discuss it with your dr. first. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #3

annes73 HB User
What about the water fasts..where you only have distilled water or herbal tea for lets say 10 days or so.......are they effective or dangerous? It says if you have a slow metabolism (like me) then you can handle a water only fast as opposed to a juice fast. Then you introduce your veggies and fruits slowly to accomodate your cleansed body......I guess I am looking to see if anyone has not only cleansed their body but kept weight off after they broke the fast. Does it screw up your metabolism or help it? thx
H-5'5" F

Old 06-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #4

annes73 HB User
Well, I am going to start with a 4 day water fast. It says to start with short fasts. I also read that it is ideal to start at 12noon because then your first day is not so long. Anyways, I started today at noon. The funniest thing is at 1150am I was saying'oh my gosh, I better eat now!!' I ate a pbj sandwich and a banana...things I haven't had in soooooo long! So I have done my first day. I will keep you all posted on how I do. I will continue having only water and herb tea until 12noon on Sunday (fathers day) and that evening plan on having a light salad*no dressing* and maybe some clear soup. On Monday I will go back to very low carb and see what happens. I am very determined right now. I want to cleanse my body and start fresh! Wish me luck and any input would be great!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-11-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Just be careful... I don't see how only water for 4 days could possibly be healthy... I know that when I did a juice fast for half the time, I was very lightheaded, dizzy and nauseated... and I was getting juice at least... be careful and listen to your body. Good luck!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #6

annes73 HB User
Just wanted you to see a piece of what I read......this is a driving force to me and also reassures me that it is safe............
*** detoxification is an important corrective and rejuvenative process in our cycle of nutrition. It is a time when we allow our cells and organs to breathe out, become current, and restore themselves.***
another quote............
***From a medical point of view, I believe that fasting is not utilized often enough. We go on vacations from work to relax, recharge, and to gain new perspectives on our life; why not take occasional breaks from food? Or, for that matter, we might consider fasts from phones, cars, computers, talking, or from whatever activity/consumption we feel is excessive. Most people cannot break out of the conditioned pattern of eating three meals daily. Eating is a habit, an addiction. Most of us do not need nearly the amounts (and types) of food we consume. I have discussed allergy-addiction in many sections of this book; in a sense, eating itself is an allergy-addiction. When we stop and let our stomach remain empty, our body goes into an elimination cycle, and most people, especially when toxicity exists, will experience some "withdrawal" symptoms, such as headaches, irritability, or fatigue (only pure hunger is a clear sign of need for food). When they eat again, their withdrawal symptoms subside, and they feel better. This situation is worse when it involves allergic people eating allergenic foods. ****

I find this very interesting. I hope that I can experience the same...annes73 http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif

H-5'5" F

Old 06-12-2003, 07:35 AM   #7

annes73 HB User
well at noon today it will be 24hrs since I started my body cleanse. I have to say I feel pretty good. Didn't get alot of sleep last night but I read that it is common to get an energy boost while fasting. I am enjoying my herb teas and water is my fav anyways. So I will plug along today. taking it easy and reenegizing my body!!!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-12-2003, 09:48 PM   #8

microelvis2000 HB User
I got the book, read the mainpoints, will return probably (bookclub) because it recommends a enema, which to me, is disguisting. I believe the body works the way its supposed to. I'm interested in knowing about which foods are good, what amounts, types of exercises, and even fasting, but to me, a whole chapter and vivid descriptions of it, was gross. Ew!

Old 06-13-2003, 10:09 AM   #9

annes73 HB User
Hi microelvis2000
From all that I have read ect, the only people who they recommend have an enema are those fasting longer than 4 days. I am only doing a 3-4 day fast as any longer you are to be under a DRs supervision. I am 48hrs in now and am amazed at how I feel. I am not doing this as a weight loss program by any means. Weight loss is a by-product of the cleanse but all the weight will not stay off and is not suppose to! I am doing this to prepare my body and cleanse it before starting back into my weight regimen. From what I have read as well, it is beneficial to do a 3-4 day fast 4xs per year to keep our body clean! I am planning on doing that. I have lost some weight since starting, in a day and ahalf I Lost 7 pounds. But as I said, that is not my main goal in doing the cleanse. Good Luck if you decide to do it. It isn't very difficult but just do your homework on shorter fastings because it is much different and does not have the dangers of longer fastings. Keep me posted!
annes73
H-5'5" F

Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #10
(female)

FMY HB User
Due to my colon disease I had to do a 7 day fast once and lost about 20lbs. After I was allowed to eat again I couldn't for at least a week or two. My stomach had shrunken right away. But I only regained a couple of the pounds that I lost.

In a little over a week I have to get surgery, and will not be able to eat for between 10 days and 2 weeks. So maybe I'll be able to lose the rest of the weight that I want gone.

5'3"
SW 150 6-2-2003
CW 145 6-9-2003
GW 115

Old 06-14-2003, 06:27 PM   #11

annes73 HB User
I just completed a 3 day fast....only water and herb tea. I did it as a cleanse and time to readjust my current weight loss strategy because I have not been able to stick to it lately. I did really well. I did lose 11lbs in the 3 days but I know to expect a few back on. That is ok because I wasn't doing it for weightloss persay. I definately think my stomach shrunk a bit these past few days because I wasn't too hungry today. I did only eat fresh veggies and fruit at first and then had a nice turkey sandwich for lunch. By then I was pretty full! I am happy with all that I came out of it with. A whole new perspective on my weight loss! Thanks for the info and good luck with the surgery! annes73
H-5'5" F

Closed Thread