It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #1

ML84 HB User
Post ***FINALLY***

OK I fianlly got it that FAD DIETS DONT WORK, and you will NOT loose 35lbs in 1 month and keep it off! It has taken me years of dieting to relize that. I was nevr fat I just alwas had a "few" extra lbs to loose, and I would always go on these FAD diets to try to loose them FAST! But it never worked, I was always unable to stay on the diets because they were to extreme! And then the "few extra lbs I was trying to loose became 30 extra lbs, and then I got preg and gained an extra 60lbs (but my son was worth every single pound!) And now here I am STUCK WITH 90 extra lbs to loose! (Well 70lbs, I lost about 20 since the delivey of my son 9 weeks ago) Anyways, I am trying to say is that I finally relized that the only way I am successfully going to loose weight and keep it off is to, eat heathy, low fat, low cal, and low carb, NOT SOME EXTREME DIET. SO I started today A NEW WAY TO LOOSE WEGHT. And I feel alot more at ease knowing that it is going to take some more time to loose weight, but the long term effects will be worth it!!
Mandy

Old 06-15-2003, 09:05 AM   #2

luvPeace HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by ML84:
OK I fianlly got it that FAD DIETS DONT WORK, and you will NOT loose 35lbs in 1 month and keep it off! It has taken me years of dieting to relize that. I was nevr fat I just alwas had a "few" extra lbs to loose, and I would always go on these FAD diets to try to loose them FAST! But it never worked, I was always unable to stay on the diets because they were to extreme! And then the "few extra lbs I was trying to loose became 30 extra lbs, and then I got preg and gained an extra 60lbs (but my son was worth every single pound!) And now here I am STUCK WITH 90 extra lbs to loose! (Well 70lbs, I lost about 20 since the delivey of my son 9 weeks ago) Anyways, I am trying to say is that I finally relized that the only way I am successfully going to loose weight and keep it off is to, eat heathy, low fat, low cal, and low carb, NOT SOME EXTREME DIET. SO I started today A NEW WAY TO LOOSE WEGHT. And I feel alot more at ease knowing that it is going to take some more time to loose weight, but the long term effects will be worth it!!
Mandy

Sensible thinking..wish I realize that soon..GOODLUCK!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2003, 09:06 AM   #3

ML84 HB User
Thank you! What diet are you on and how much did you loose. And how long did it take you to get there?
Thanks
Mandy

Old 06-15-2003, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Good for you Mandy!! You are well on your way now! It took me years to realize that, but once I did, I found such a wonderful sense of well being as well... I am a much happier person... I still get intrigued of course when I hear the newest fad, but I don't obsess... I am in a funk right now because I need to lose my last 10 lbs before a cruise in a couple weeks... but I also keep everything in perspective and try to remember everything I endured to get to this "happy spot" in my life ... I'm so happy you have reached this point in your life, you may also find the weight comes off quicker since you are no longer obsessed with "losing weight"!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2003, 09:31 AM   #5

ML84 HB User
Thanks!! I hope that you loose the weight you want to by your cruise! YOU CAN DO IT!!! You just have to work hard! You might even have to try a FAD diet, but as long as you relize that it is a fad diet, and when you get back just go back to your reg diet. Good luck!!!
Mandy

Old 06-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #6

annes73 HB User
Mandy, it sounds like you are exactly where I am right now in terms of a whole new outlook! I have to be happy with what I am doing and realize that just because I ate 3 peanut butter homemade delicious cookie (yes I did that this morning!) that it is not the end of the world. Normally I would be very upset by now but I just put it in my ****** and moved on! If you can't enjoy what you are doing to be healthy and lose weight than what is the point?! Good Luck and i am glad we have seen the light! annes73

------------------
Children are Precious.....Lets keep them Safe!!!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-15-2003, 08:14 PM   #7

vanna HB User
Hi Mandy,
Congratulations on your weight loss!
I know exactly how you feel. I never had a weight problem until I had my children. You are right when you say "they are worth every single pound". But I have been struggling with this weight problem for 6 years now, and I have finally come to the realization that no fad diet is going to work. I recently tried the Atkins Diet which I did really good on, but it is very difficult cutting out carbs and fruits all together. So I have now realized that YES carbs are one of the things I have to really watch, and sugars are definatly a NO NO, but I have to just watch what I eat and exercise - even if its just a few minutes a day - and the weight will came off.
Good luck to you and thanks for the post. Its nice to hear that others share the same thoughts!
Take care,
........Vanna

Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #8

MidnightToker HB User
Hey I'm not sure whether maybe I read your post wrong or not but if you meant that you are planning on doing a diet that is low in all three: fat, calories, AND carbs then I would say you can't do all three at the same time! Low-calorie is subsequently lower in fat but low-carb needs fat and calories.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:16 PM   #9
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I would have to disagree... I watch everything and I do pretty well with it... I do low carb (stay within 140-160), low fat (around 20g), low calorie (1200) and higher protein (around 100-120)... This has worked quite well for me... I find that if I increase the fat, I gain... if I increase my carbs too much, I gain... If I increase the calories too much, I gain... I have found a pretty good balance, I eat 5-6 small meals each day and do a good deal of exercise... I don't believe in the theory of "low carb equals high fat", I really think you can have a healthy lifestyle by reducing bad of each, ie: bad carbs, bad fats, empty cals, etc. I guess we all have something that works for us Good luck!!!

Old 06-15-2003, 09:58 PM   #10

ML84 HB User
I agreewith you goingcrusin! You can do all three, and if you do all three it will benifit you better heath wise, and long term weight loss!
Mandy

Old 06-15-2003, 11:42 PM   #11

skybornmusic HB User
ML84,

WTG on your realization! You know, I realized a similar thing yesterday: I keep dieting in preparation for things. Like, I wanted to lose weight before I came home from a year away at school, and then I wanted to lose weight before I saw my last summer's fling, and then I wanted to lose weight before this graduation I went to yesterday. And what I realized is that dieting in preparation for things doesn't work for me! It makes me put so much pressure on myself, so I mentally beat myself up like crazy if I "cheat" or eat more than I should. Also, it makes me concentrate purely on what other people think of me instead of on how I feel. I guess some people probably do really well under the pressure of dieting in preparation for things, but NOT ME!! Now that I've realized that, I can stop doing it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif Hurrah! Isn't that a great feeling?

Old 06-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #12

ML84 HB User
skybornmusic...it is a great feeling!! Good for you that you relized that also!!! I am at ease now with knowing that all the weight is not going to come off and stay off in 2 months! I am goin to do it the right way and not have a short term goal that will not work, now I am going to concentrate on a long term goal, like 6 months insted of 2. If I could concentrate on loosing most of the weight by oct then that is better then concentrating on loseing all the weight in 2 months, I know that wil not happend (well now I know that!) Every time I was going to start one of these fad diets, I would bye all the foods, and products and then never due them, BIG WASTE OF MONEY! I am taking diet pills though, but I do not expect t loosethe weight fast with them, I am just usig them as a boost in weight loss, and energy. Good luck in your weight loss! Please keep me updated! And if you dont mind me asking what is your start weight/current/goal and when you began. Thanks!
Mandy

Old 06-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #13

skybornmusic HB User
ML, funny you should ask... I would be happy to share my starting and current weights with you, except that I have no idea what they are! I stopped weighing myself for a couple reasons. First, it was causing me to do crazy things like get really depressed about my weight and starve myself all day (or else get really happy that I had lost and then have a huge meal to celebrate). Second, I realized that since I started working out and am probably gaining muscle in addition to losing fat, my numerical weight was not going to be a great indicator of my progress anyway! So, I am currently going by how I feel and what I see in the mirror, and that has been doing great things for my mental health.

What I CAN tell you is this: I am about 5'3" have weighed around 120 for most of my life. This past semester, while away at school and extremely depressed, I started binge eating and gained about 15 pounds (would have been more, but I also went through periods of starving myself, which is just as bad). So I'm mainly trying to lose those 15 pounds, while (more importantly!) re-establishing the normal eating habits that I managed to forget.

Good luck to you too, and let's definitely keep each other posted! And YAY US for developing such a healthy outlook!

BTW... my name is Amanda too!

Old 06-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #14

ML84 HB User
Hey Amanda, I am not a Amanda, my parents just named me Mandy..(I know it is not common..lol) How long have you been on "Heathy Diet" for? Me I started yesterday..(did not have the best diet day..lol..but I am ok with knowing that I ate a litte more then I should of, at least I did not go over the deep end (I have been known to do that whe I go on one of my "Bad Diets", I will do good all day and then I will blowit big time!) Today I let my self have a little extra, and tat prevented me from going over board. I know that I will loose weight as fast as I would like but it will come off and it will come off the heathy way! But today am going to try to have a good day but not be extreme! I am off to the gym in 2 hours, and then I will see how the rest of my day goes. Good Luck!
Mandy

Closed Thread