It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
Post Low Carb Questions

I was just kind of wondering for those that are doing low carb.... do you still count calories and watch fat intake or just try to be reasonable? Is it faster if you do?

Also are there big price differences at places that have low carb foods. I just purchased some at our local grocery store and think I depleted our bank account...just for a few items! I bought one small candy bar to try it and it was almost $3!!!

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #2

libby HB User
Snoopy....you paid way too much! Atkins peanut Butter Cups are 96 cents at wallmart. my Preference is reeses sugar free peanut butter cups. BUT!!! you have to be careful...they are NOT fat free, and they are high in calories. On top of that if you eat too many it does a number in your tummy and intestines...yikes!(either kind)

I have met several people who combine a low cal program with a low carb program.They like it. I tried it, but I got too hungry. The Atkins plan really does cure the hunger thing. I think the high fat content has something to do with it. Also!!!! Drink LOTS of water! it does 2 things for starters...1. it keeps your body flushed. it is easy to get constipated on Atkins if you don't drink enough. 2. it satifies some some of what we think are hunger pangs. I read an article recently saying that the majority of the time when we think we are hungry we are actually dehydrated. The concept resinated with me.

What ever method or plan you use....be healthy.

Libby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
thanks libby! I couldnt believe it when I saw it...I will have to try wal mart out.

I have just been afraid that I am sabotaging things with having high fat foods. It is hard to believe that you could eat this AND lose weight. It is all that programing from 8-10 years about about low fat diets etc!

Also..do you know how to figure out the "net carbs" of something? It looked like the fiber content was subtracted or something... Is it in the Atkins book?
I have it but havent looked at it in a while. It has been a few years since I tried it and just did induction and not anything long term...i am trying again!

Old 06-05-2003, 04:34 PM   #4

annes73 HB User
Hi there, You subtract the fibre and any sugar substitute ie: malitol or other sugar alchohol. Example: 10 carbs
4g fibre
2g malitol
equals 4 net carbs! Pretty easy!
I don't count calories or fat unless I am doing the 'fat fast'. I have found that when you are watching your carbs normally your caloriesstay under control. You could try keeping a food diary for a week or so and see how it goes. I find when I am on a plateau or need some motivation that the food diar really helps me keep my day in perspective.....I record the food, carbs, calories, and fat grams and total each day. Good Luck!

------------------
Children are Precious.....Lets keep them Safe!!!
H-5'5" F

Old 06-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
that sounds good..but most reg. food will not give you the sugar alcohol or substitute content, I noticed alot of the low carb foods will. I guess you could at least subtract the fiber and know that it is that or less....

thanks for your help!

Old 06-05-2003, 07:06 PM   #6

libby HB User
Snoopy.....just remember, if it is low fat, it is probably loaded with sugar.

Also know that if you go with high fat....you MUST cut out as many carbs as you can. I just had an omlette for dinner. it was sooooo good. I used cheese ofcourse, but frying in butter is heavenly. And...to stretch the egg I add whipping cream. YUMMY! I had to look pretty hard to find whipped cream without sugar or carbs...but I did!

Tomorrow I weigh...yikes...actually I cheated and weighed a couple of times already. I'm happy! Can't wait until tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
snoopy63, No, I don't count calories and, yes, I do watch my fat intake . . . but to make sure I get enough. It's a very hard idea to get used to after all the years of hearing cut fat, cut fat, cut fat, but eating enough fat is an important part of the low-carb formula, IMHO, and in my experience. The biggest and most difficult plateau I hit was when I decided I wanted to lose weight faster, so I started cutting out fat wherever I could. Big mistake. It had exactly the opposite effect.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
I do moderated carbs, I don't count calories... I pretty much know how many I am getting though. I do watch my fat intake though. I don't eat alot of "low fat" prepackaged items, but I prefer say, turkey bacon over regular bacon, ground chicken rather than ground beef, etc... Low carb is more expensive because most everything you buy is fresh... processed and package foods are cheap (that has to tell us something!!!) As for the candy bars, etc. Try not to get to addicted to that stuff.. it really can sabotage any program... too much of anything can and will put the weight on... Maybe use it as a weekly treat, etc.. even though the sweetener is not technically sugar, it can keep weight on you... goood luck

Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
thanks everyone! It is soooo nice to know there are people out there like you guys that are going through what I am. My family is not dieting so it is not always easy.

Cruisin' - I know what you mean about packaged foods!
One thing my hubby and I have talked about before is that the healthy stuff is sooo much more expensive than fattening things. In fact, I think that is why I had gained the last 10 pounds that I did. I left a job and was looking for another and because of a lot of unexpected expenses (cars breaking down etc) we had to really cut back and I couldnt afford to buy the FF potato chips at almost $3 for a small bag when I could buy a bigger bag at 1/2 that (yes...I know chips arent healthy..but I know i have to have them so Wow chips were a God send to me!) 1/2 the calories and no fat!
And then buying fresh...if you dont use it right away you have to throw it out...Frustrating...I finally understand overweight poor people!

Judy..thanks also...it sounds like i should kind of watch calories but not worry about fat. Right now most of my carbs are coming from low carb vegetables and nuts.And it IS hard to not worry about fat and have regular cheese and salad dressing when for the past 10 years, I have been careful NOT to have them! I keep thinking I am going to GAIN weight! reprogram, reprogram, reprogram!!!

Happy Friday everyone!

Old 06-18-2003, 05:45 PM   #10

WinnieWoo HB User
The beauty of low-carb dieting is that you do not have to watch your calorie or fat intake, just the carbs. I am pregnant and eat over 1800 calories a day, yet I eat low-carb (except I eat a LOT of veggies and fruit) and I am still losing weight, but the baby is fine because I eat enough. Of course you should never gorge yourself on burgers and cheese and bacon, just moderate here and there. A good menu to try:
Breakfast: 2 Atkins lemon poppy seed muffins with 1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup coffee with cream and Splenda
Lunch: Big salad with Feta cheese or Atkins ready to drink shake
Dinner: chicken or fish with steamed veggies and butter or a salad
Occasional drink of whiskey mixed with DietRite
This is filling and the weight will fall off.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 PM   #11

Rixtar HB User
Whiskey AND pregnant?

Old 06-20-2003, 12:16 PM   #12

quinn2 HB User
Red face

Just my 2 cents. But alcohol and especially hard liquor such as whiskey is bad for the baby.

Closed Thread