It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 09:53 AM   #1

shanlgree HB User
Post Teeth Wired Shut

I would like to know if there is anyone who has had there teeth wired shut for weight loss purposes. Please email me so I can get more details on this procedure and how it has worked for you. shanlgree@msn.com

Old 06-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #2

nville1 HB User
What are your stats? Why are you considering something so drastic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 09:57 AM   #3

hobbitgirl HB User
I'm no professional, but I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST such a procedure. I would also advise seeking a second opinion if a doctor advised to get such a procedure.

Why? Because with your mouth wired shut you are limited to a liquid diet. Sure, you will lose weight, but you will not be learning how to eat real food. What happens when the wires come off?

Old 06-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #4

Cepedaa HB User
Hi,
I knew somebody who got this procedure done, I agree with the last post. Yeah you'll loose weight but that's because ur only drinking liquids. As soon as the person I knew was able to eat she gained all the weight plus some more really fast. You shouldnt go through that extreme. Knowing everything you know about nutrition it just doesnt make sense.

Old 06-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #5

meily HB User
Oh my cousin had it.
It was horrible... she could only drink soup... soup and more soup... and that is all.
She quitted really fast so i really did not feel that she really lost weight. I am not sure if it was the doctor's opinion since she was a tennager, that was long long time ago.
Also, it would be cute when you are a child (nah, she look weird to me... haha) but as a older person... Ah??

[This message has been edited by meily (edited 06-04-2003).]

Old 06-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #6

hobbitgirl HB User
Went out to the web and did a little more research on this. Again, I am very much agains this procedure. The one doctor (orthodontist) that does it only does it for people who are compulsive overeaters. To me, if you are a compulsive then there are underlying issues that MUST be addressed. Such a procedure does nothing to address this.

Lately in the news there has been much talk about bariatric surgery (gastro-bypass and the like). This is generally for the morbidly obese but at least one would still be eating real food.

As the other person asked, what are your stats and what is making you consider something so very drastic?

Old 06-04-2003, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran

GoinCruisin HB User
Sounds a little drastic to me, and not a long term solution. Have you talked to your doctor? Maybe he/she could refer you to a dietician... that is where I started and it really helped. Please don't do anything so drastic. Once you are "un-wired" you will still have real life issues to deal with and more than likely will end up in the same place you are now... start at the source and work your way there. There are healthy ways to lose weight, mouth wiring is not going to teach you how to eat and exercise, it's just going to make you miserable and tired of liquid Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-04-2003, 10:35 AM   #8
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Hi Shanlgree,

I have not had my jaws wired shut, but my sister did. It was not for weight loss purposes, but because she had surgery on her jaw. She wore the wires for something like 6 or 8 weeks, and lost a lot of weight. She lived mostly on protein milkshakes. She really looked good by the time the wires came off.

BUT... she gained it all back as soon as she started eating normal foods again. She didn't pig out, either - just ate normally, and BOOM the weight was back, plus a few more pounds.

So please, think long & hard before doing something like this. Hate to see you spend your money & go through the anguish (my sister used to cry while she drank her shake & we ate our normal dinners). Please, please consider your other options first. Good luck to you!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 07-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #9

jv92 HB User
Jaw wiring is a very safe and effective method of weight loss. I am currently trying to find someone in my area that does it (Wisconsin) if anybody knows of a place in wisconsin that does it please let me know. There are two places that I know of that do jaw wiring one in NY [url="http://www.drted.com"]www.drted.com[/url] and one in L.A. [url="http://www.dryury.com."]www.dryury.com.[/url] Jaw wiring is a good weigh to drop the weight but once it is off you still have to work to keep it off. Let us know if you do it and good luck!!!

Old 07-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #10
Inactive

JenJen1021 HB User
omg, i didn't know that wireing your jaw was that bad to weight loss! i'm thinking about getting surgery on my lower jaw, to move it forward, so i no longer have a drastic overbite, that i have. (yes, i have tried braces and everything.. for 8 years to be exact). but, after hearing all this, i'm fine with my overbite. *kinda laughs*

Closed Thread