It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #1

JennyG HB User
Question Paging those who succeeded in Atkins ( please help..)

Hi everyone,
I just started Atkins for 2 days. I think no matter what I would be following it strictly thru induction phase. I am paging those who succeeded in Atkins because your words and response are really helpful for us.

These are my questions, please answer whichever you could, thanks!
Q1. Has anyone measured her body-fat change while doing Atkins? Can anyone specify her own body-fat change results? ( I just really want to know if body-fat can be greatly reduced by doing Atkins, or Atkins has more impact on losing muscles and water)

Q2. For those who succeeded, does any of you gain back those weight very fast after reaching your goal?

Q3. Do you adopt exercise program from induction phase or at the maintenance phase? ( I am doing aerobic every other day, I am not sure if this is helping my induction phase or I should wait later)

Q4. If you tried Atkins and succeeded at the first time, then you gained weight back later. When you re-started Atkins induction phase at the second time, does your body become harder to reach ketosis mode? Or it still work like first time you did your Atkins diet?

Q5. What are most significant side-effect or sickness you felt at the beginning?

Thanks to whomever take time answering me or having anything to share with me....^_^

------------------
HW:244
CW:203
GW:145
CW 200
GW 150 ( by the end of this year)

Old 08-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #2

RedSoxgirl518 HB User
I can't answer most of your questions because I have only been doing Atkins for under a month. But, in that time, I have weighed myself once a week and measured my waist, hips, and thighs each week as well. In this 3+ weeks time, I have lost 15 pounds. But I have lost 2 inches off my waist, 3.5 inches off my hips, and 2 inches off my thighs. In addition, I can personally say that I "see" myself building muscle rather than losing it. As my legs have gotten visibly smaller, I have seen more of a muscular quailty, as well as in my arms. I consistently do cardio (stationary bike or ski machine) for 30-45 mins per day and do weight training every other day. But, I was doing this before I began Atkins with much less in the form of results. This is the first diet that I have been able to look in the mirror or put clothes on and see a dramatic difference in a period of time. I've lost 15 pounds before and not seen this extent of difference. This makes me believe that I am losing fat and not muscle, and still building muscle which explains the more visible results but not a huge loss on the scale. That's about all I can tell you from my experience, hope it is a little bit of help to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 03:44 PM   #3

JennyG HB User
Thank you so much, RedSoxgirl518 you are the first one to reply me..

We seem to have some experience in common. I have been doing low-fat diet with exercise program for a full year and things didn't go as I expected. I too do cardio almost everyday and go weight-lifting every other day since last July. Before then I never tried exercise at all. But guess what, I only lost 30 Lb. For working on it for a full year, 30 Lb is not a good result and weight did stall. Even I exercise that much and eat so light, my body-fat % only went down 4% ( from 48%-44%). Frustration made me turn to Atkins... Even my doctor wonder how I could lose weight that slow and not significant by combining low-fat and workout. So he said I might try Atkins and see if it works on me.

Today is my second day of induction phase and I do really very sick. So I came up here keep on typing to distract myself a bit..

Wish everyone can reach their goal~~
Thanks again~~

------------------
CW 200

Old 08-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #4

annes73 HB User
I will try to answer your questions as I followed atkins very strictly for 4 months and am now back on it.
1. Yes,your body fat will dramatically reduce by doing atkins strictly and exercising. I went from 45% to 34% in 4 months! I lost inches everywhere! You lose fat not muscle and water. You will completely reshape your body.

2. I did not reach my goal after my 4 months but was about 10lbs from it and YES it wil come back very quickly if you start eating bad carbs again. it comes back so fast your head will spin!
If you folow the program you will not gain, but atkins is a lifestyle change not a diet.

3. definately do exercise through the whole process. It will help you lose fat. the weights are great too!

4. For me, going off atkins didn't lengthen the time it took for me to get to ketosis BUT the weight didn't come off AS quickly. It still worked but not as quick. better just to stay with it then have to start all over again..like me!!

Good luck with atkins..i love it and it is the only thing Ihave found that I can see dramatic results!
I was like you...started at over 200lbs and went down to 145 last december but I have now gained about 15lbs or so this summer from too many bbqs and camps! I gained it all back in my staomach too...grrrrr!!!
Anyways, i am back on it and I will lose it again!

annes73
H-5'5" F

Old 08-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #5

JennyG HB User
bump~!
Hello.. anyone... please answer.. Thank you ..

------------------
CW 200

Old 08-28-2003, 09:54 AM   #6

JennyG HB User
Unhappy

bump!
Are my qestions really too hard to answer? Hello~~~
Please~~~please please
CW 200

Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Hi Jenny, 5 wks of atkins for me and Im really gettin tired of the same food. I didnt measure myself but lost 15 lbs. most of which is belly weight. my friend and I walk a mile each morning and I know I should add another mile when I go home but Im lazy. I have noticed the results but like I said Im sick of eggs and salad. have to read the book more (dr atkins new diet revolution) and get some more ideas.
I think you will like it as you get fast results.
join us you will get a lot of support.

Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 PM   #8

JennyG HB User
Sue~~~ Thanks. It is so kind of you..
I did join you guys on another thread. I wish everyone will hang in there and be super devoted to lose those unwanted weight.. How much you still need to lose?

I asked about body fat because I had a body-fat machine for two years. All my family and friends ( that's a lot people ) tried weigh on it. End up I confirmed that body fat % really has great impact on person's look. Two women, exact same weight and height, the one who has low body fat % would really look lean and solid, much better shape. After trying so many bad diet and never lower my body fat, I just want to ask around if Atkins truly help on burning fat...

Take care.. ^_^
CW 200

Old 08-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #9

magnolia HB User
Q1. Has anyone measured her body-fat change while doing Atkins? Can anyone specify her own body-fat change results? ( I just really want to know if body-fat can be greatly reduced by doing Atkins, or Atkins has more impact on losing muscles and water)

i went from a size 22 to a size 2..but i also did resistance training and cardio...so both helped to decrease the percentage of body fat and increase lean muscle mass...
you should not lost muscles on atkins, only body fat...

Q2. For those who succeeded, does any of you gain back those weight very fast after reaching your goal?

only when i cheat...afterall, atkins is not just a weightloss program but a way of life...as with any diet plan, once you go back to the old way of eating, you will gain again...i continue to weigh myself daily as atkins gives us a 4 lb leeway with the goal weight before we have to buckle back down on eating right again....the weight from cheating is lost very easily in the next day or two by clean eating and plenty of water as it is often water weight that is gained initially from the cheating

Q3. Do you adopt exercise program from induction phase or at the maintenance phase? ( I am doing aerobic every other day, I am not sure if this is helping my induction phase or I should wait later)

i added resistance training and cardio while on owl...waited several months after i started losing before i began an exercise program

Q4. If you tried Atkins and succeeded at the first time, then you gained weight back later. When you re-started Atkins induction phase at the second time, does your body become harder to reach ketosis mode? Or it still work like first time you did your Atkins diet?

cannot answer as i have been maintaing at goal for the past 3 months i think...

Q5. What are most significant side-effect or sickness you felt at the beginning?

didn't do the induction phase

best of luck to you!!!

Old 08-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #10

JennyG HB User
Hi magnolia,
Thanks so much for your keen response. I will keep your words in mind.
If not too much, can you please simply tell me how long it took you to become size 2 from 22?Did you just follow Atkins book exactly? Didn't your weight ever stall? I felt very proud of your achievment. And I will be hell happy just to be a size 8.. What is your secret of success? ^_^

Thanks again...
CW 200

Old 08-28-2003, 10:25 PM   #11

magnolia HB User
hi jenny...just noticed your stats...i started out at 240...with a goal weight of 140...maintaining at 139..so yes the clothes sizes went down dramatically...not only from doing atkins but also the exercise program i did...took me 18 months as i am an emotional overeater/cheater as well as stalls because of the exercies...(weightlifting 3x a week alternating with cardio 3x a week)...for example, i went from a 12 to a 8 with only a 10 lb loss and a 8-6 with zero loss on the scales, all with the same brand and style of jeans...so the exercising really helped to shape things up for me...
i was low carbing with cheats when i started atkins, so i just went straight into owl...
all my cheats were due to emotional reasons...so always examined the reasons behind the cheats and swore off that particular food...i allowed the kids and to store their snacks in their rooms....i used ****** for months....if i wasn't losing pounds or inches in a week's time, i analyzed what i was eating or doing to figure out what the problems were...i weighed every day and very rarely showed an increase...when i cheated i upped the water to help flush out the temp water weight from the cheat...i kept my ratios at 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs on ******...and calories averaged 1200 (with any weightloss program you still have to have a calorie deficient to lose)...atkins is a designer style program in that you have to determine what works for you to continue with the weightloss...

atkins has been the only weightloss program that i could stick to long enough to lose more than 15 lbs...

and thanks for the compliment!!

Closed Thread