It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #1

mobee HB User
Post swimming good for weighloss????

I am one that does not enjoy exercising through running and sports because i dont like the feeling of heat and sweating.
therefore i swim quite often. Ive read in stuides and journals that swimming is not a good form of weighloss because you body stays cool during swimming. They say that most people dont lose weight or lower cholesterol. But then Ive read other reports that say swimming is one of the best forms or exercise for weighloss.
Now i know that swimming not better than running, but still better for nothing... But i want to know if i continue swimming will I lose any weight at all??
Just wondering what the truth is...

thanks

Old 09-07-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
dunno what youve been readin, but actually swimmin IS better. did you know that 20 min of pool times equals 1 hr of on land aerobics?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise because you are using so many different muscles at once. The means of course actually swimming and not lounging! lol, also water aerobics or running is great. Andrea wears aqua joggers and next year I plan on getting some!!

Old 09-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
rofl!!!

HOW did you remember that?! (funny cuz i think next year im gonna need new ones) i like the the wet vest brand& the aqua jogger. i wear the aj over the wet vest.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #5

mobee HB User
The sites i read about the weight gain or lack of weight loss from swimming are below.

I know that your muscle tone will be better and more toned.. my only concern though is that i will gain weight or have no weighloss......
i find it weird that there are so many different opinions.... some say its the best, some say its not effective....
[url="http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7208.html"]http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7208.html[/url]
[url="http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0746.html"]http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0746.html[/url]

there were many other sites as well..

Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 PM   #6

Swimmer33 HB User
Swimming is great for muscle tone. There is still much debate as to weight loss, but a calorie used is a calorie used. Elite marathon runners are much more petite than elite marathon swimmers. There has not been much scientific study as to the reason for this. One plus for swimming it that it is definitely easier on your joints.

As for 20 minutes of pool time compared to 1 hour of land time, I think you need to clarify how the 20 minutes of pool time v 1 hour of land time is spent. I competed in the US Open in swimming 1997, and I can tell you that an hour of an intense aerobics definitely burns more calories than 20 minutes of regular aerobic swimming. I've never heard that comparison before. In fact, Amanda Beard, the 1996 silver medalist in the 100m breast did aerobics twice a week before school as cross training to stay lean.

I think your best bet is choosing which exercise you enjoy, because you are more likely to stick with it for the long haul. I think any form of excercise you choose to do will help tone your muscles and lower your cholesterol. As for weight loss, I don't know what to say. Obviously you do burn calories by swimming. By getting your heart rate up, you do get over heated (yes, swimmers do sweat). Why elite runners are leaner than elite swimmers is a mystery to me.

[This message has been edited by Swimmer33 (edited 09-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Swimmer33 (edited 09-08-2003).]

Closed Thread