It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 09:33 PM   #1

flutterbybaby8703 HB User
Question no pop

i've heard from people that if u drink alot of pop-which i do-that if you stop drinking it, you will lose about five lbs. a week. has anyone else heard of this and if it works?

Old 09-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #2

angelmagic HB User
Hi Flutter! Yes, I have heard that if you cut out your pop consumption, you will loose weight, but I'm not sure how much a week. I think it would depend on each individual, cause everybody's body is different. But hey, it's still worth trying, good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Don't know how true this is but....if your are drinking regular pop (soda) you are consuming about 1 Teaspoon of sugar for every ounce! I'd switch to diet...no carbs etc. There are a lotta calories in one bottle of reg pop!

Old 09-05-2003, 05:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
I was drinking a lot of pop and I stopped 2 months ago I have lost about 15 lbs but I am doing atkins.
One thing I do know is pop makes your belly really bloated. just about all of my bloating is gone. I now dring diet ice tea. I thought I would have a hard time giving up my pepsi but I didnt and now if I should take a little taste it taste really crappy and sweet. cant believe I drank it my whole life.
good luck.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:01 AM   #5

JPIPES HB User
just alittle input her.....i think i'm probably the coke cola queen of texas. i could drink 5-6 a day without thinking twice about it. all i did was cut down to 1 a day. i'd drink half and save the rest for later. it did help me lose weight. i don't think it was five a week. but it was a big difference.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
It's so funny how different regions of the U.S. refer to it as Pop or Soda. I was talking to a friend from down south and she said they never call it soda down there, is that true??

Anyway, back to the orginal post, Yes I've heard this, I have never heard as much as 5lbs a week, but definitely a couple!! Good Luck!!

Old 09-05-2003, 08:55 AM   #7

JPIPES HB User
shel......the words pop and soda don't exsist in my neck of the woods. i'm in southeast texas and everything here is coke. it could be pepsi, coke cola, spite, dr pepper....anything....it's all coke here. i guess we have a smaller vocabulary...lol

[This message has been edited by JPIPES (edited 09-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by JPIPES (edited 09-05-2003).]

Old 09-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #8
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
ha ha too funny Jpipes

Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
jpipes - i was remembering that too..i grew up in VA - most of my family is from Blacksburg (VA Tech) area and and my cousins always said "pop". I grew up in Roanoke which is a much bigger city and my mom was from CA so i always said "coke" for everything too...then i moved back out to CA to go to college 22 yrs ago (argh!!) and trained myself to say "soda" because that is what everyone says out here! interesting....

as far as the original question..it is all a matter or calorie deficit really... sodas have 110-140 cal per serving so you can imagine what 5-6 a day would do...
as far as the 5 pounds goes..i guess it would all have to do with how much you consumed to begin with...and also if you changed you eating habits... i switched to diet soda when i was 14, so unfortunately i have adjusted my eating so it is not as simple as changing what i drink.. oh well...

Old 09-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Yes, here in Texas it's COKE no matter what it actually is. Up in Michigan (where I grew up and lived until I graduated college) it was POP. Imagine my confusion when I came down here...

I still call it pop.

I drink Diet Coke and Diet Rite (no caffiene or sodium). Never the real thing. I didn't drink that much of it before I lost all my weight, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, I think if you drink a lot of regular pop and then swtich to diet, you'd probably loose some!

Old 09-05-2003, 11:58 PM   #11
Veteran

amberseattle HB User
lol..I grew up in E washington where its kinda country and we said pop..I moved to western WA (seattle) and all the big city folks say "soda" its funny..same state just different terms..but all together I did the same..cut out soda completely and almost 10 lbs in 2 weeks..(along with eating better and excersize)

[This message has been edited by amberseattle (edited 09-06-2003).]

Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 AM   #12

Tigrazhia HB User
This is what someone told me a while back, & it makes sense:

The carbonation in soda/pop fools the body somehow into thinking it will be dehydrated & it stores more water to prevent from dehydrating, so when you stop drinking soda, your body will release of the excess water it is storing when you drink sodas. So yeah stop drinking soda will make you lose weight, but it's water weight.

Of course, if you're drinking sodas full of sugar, you Will lose weight if you stop drinking it. My friend recently went from regular coke to diet coke & he has lost a lot of weight! Amazing how much sugar there is in those things.

Old 09-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #13

flutterbybaby8703 HB User
Wink

Thank ya everyone! you are all awesome!!

Old 09-06-2003, 11:56 PM   #14

april1270 HB User
There was a study completed that my husband found about this exact subject.

Soda has many adverse effects. Yes, it can promote weight gain in that it increased appetite. It is not the calories, sodium or carbs that are the main culprit. Diet Soda contains Aspertame which, if you do the research, has many advers effects on your body. It includes the promotion of weight gain, fatigue and so much more.

We stopped drinking it and felt better and started loosing weight. I do think that the water, we replaced our large consumption of soda with, played a large role in it. If I can find the Aspertame article I will share it with you.

Best of luck.

April

Old 09-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #15

Adilald HB User
Is Diet pop ok to drink on a low carb diet? It has no carbs but does have caffine.

Closed Thread