It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 08:34 AM   #1
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Post Question about cooking chicken...

Whenever I cook chicken in a frying pan, it gets dried out - what am I doing wrong? Last night, I made this yummy dish that has cut up chicken breasts, pasta, several kinds of peppers, black olives and tomato sauce. It's a delicious dish (although not the best for my diet b/c of the pasta!), but would have been even better if the chicken was juicy.

I've tried cooking it slower by using a lower temperature, but that didn't do the trick. When I bake chicken, it's nice & juicy, but not when I cook it on the stove. I eat lots of chicken when I'm trying to lose weight, and it would really taste better if it was nice & juicy, even when I cook it on the stove. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Houdini,

What do you cook the chicken in? I put mine in a frying pan, but I still kind of 'boil' it, I add wate, but I don't cover it...and then I drain the water and fry it in Pam to brown it up.

Other than that I always try and grill it unless it's snowing or raining, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
PS, what's your recipe??????? Sounds yummy!!

Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Ok, I don't cover it completely with the water, but I do cover the pan with the lid.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Ever tried doing it in the Crock Pot? I put mine in in the morning and when I come home, it is to tender and juicy- falls right off the bone.
Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2003, 09:14 AM   #6
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
maak, what do you cook the chicken in? water?

I love cooking in the crock pot, but all my dishes are fattening..........

Old 09-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Smile

Shel-
I buy a roaster chicken and put a few stalks of celery or some onion in with it- no water, the juice of the meat itself and the celery / onion will create a wonderful broth actually that you can save and freeze to use as a base for soup in the winter! The chicken has a wonderful flavor and satifies everyone because kids like dark meat- we like white meat- etc. etc.

You can do this with about anything really- roasts, ribs, etc.

Good Luck!
Maak

Old 09-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
My crock pot chicken-

Put some boneless chicken in the crock. Pour a jar of salsa on it.

That's it! It's delicious in 8 hours! Having it tonight, as a matter of fact!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Shel - What I cook the chicken in depends on what I'm using it for. Last night I cooked it in wine, butter & onions. Sometimes just butter, but then it gets a little watery because I put the lid on & condensation forms.

The recipe is really yummy although (like I said) not all that great for the diet - it's called Chicken Riggies (made with Rigatoni noodles). You put 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of white cooking wine & 1 large onion (chopped) into a deep pan & simmer until the onion is tender. Then add about 1 lb of cut up chicken & cook on low until chicken is completely cooked. Then add 1 cup of chopped cherry peppers, 1 cup of hot banana pepper rings, 1 small can of black olives, and 1 to 1.5 cups of tomato sauce. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until some of the liquid cooks off. Mix with approx. 4 cups of cooked rigatoni noodles, and dinner is ready! The recipe also calls for "mushrooms if desired," but in my mind they're definitely not desired!

I'll have to try cooking the chicken your way, or cook it on the grill next time. We grill year round, so the snow won't stop me!

Maak823 - Nope, I haven't cooked it in the crock pot, but I should try that - thanks for the suggestion! I usually only use my crock pot for things like chili, stew, etc. I never think to just cook meat in it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Froggie98:
My crock pot chicken-

Put some boneless chicken in the crock. Pour a jar of salsa on it.

That's it! It's delicious in 8 hours! Having it tonight, as a matter of fact!
Yummy, that sounds good! I'm gonna have to try that one - nice & easy!!! Thanks, Froggie!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #11
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I marinate chicken to keep it juicy! Oh, and never turn your chicken with a fork (or pierce it in any way) that allows the juices to escape!!! Hope this helps!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #12
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Thanks, Jen!!!

Old 09-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
I buy those big bags of frozen chicken breasts and boil them all at once in water that I've added chicken base or bullion cubes and garlic powder to then I freeze them all. When I want to make something with chicken, whether it be stir fry or anything really, I just thaw it out and throw them in. I almost always have chicken already cooked in the freezer. It's great for a diet because you can decide to have a chicken salad for lunch and you don't have to mess around cooking it.

I also cook it like Shel does, let it boil, not all the way covered, for awhile in a skillet until done then pour out the water and brown it. The browning goes fast.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #14
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Great suggestion, Linarella! I'll have to stop by Sam's club & pick up a bag of frozen chicken. Pre-cooking the whole bag will be really helpful, especially on the evenings when I'm rushed to make something quick for dinner. Thanks!!!

Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #15
(female)

Orchidz HB User
Question

Hi all,

I would like that to get more Chicken recipes using the Crock Pot and Oven. I prefer white meat than red, but I am getting tired of my recipes.

Maak, is the roaster chicken recipe cooking in the Crock Pot? no water it all? and for how long?

Jen, How do you marinate your chicken?

I'll appreciate if you are a "little" more specific about the recipes. I'm new here at the board.. and also I don't cook too much. It's not fun to cook just for myself.

Greetings from Texas,
Orquidea

PD: BTW, I'm on the Atkins diet w/Z3 & exercise. I really enjoy comming to this board and read your msgs. You are all fun and very helpful.

Closed Thread