It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 05:56 AM   #1
(male)

Scout- HB User
Question How do i go back onto carbs after being on Atkins without gaining weight?

As the thread says, i'm due to come off of Atkins in 11days time and i'm worried i'm going to gain weight during my first weigh in after being on carbs!

Is there a method to avoid this? Someone with prior experience of doing this please contribute some info..i'd b grateful.

thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:11 AM   #2
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Add your carbs back in gradually; and make them complex carbs. Whole wheat bread and pasta, sweet potatoes, etc. If you find that you are beginning to gain weight again---then you are adding too many or not the right type of carbs back in. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can go right back to eating lots of sweets, sugars, and white starchy things---the weight will come back with a vengence! Believe me, I've been there! I find that even while doing Atkins, I can take a break for a few days by eating complex carbs, more fruit & veggies, even milk and still maintain my weightloss. Then, when I'm satisfied and ready to begin losing again--I just become stricter with my carb intake. it works for me; and I don't become bored with doing Atkins. Listen to your body, it will set your limits for you! Good luck!!!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 06:23 AM   #3
(male)

Scout- HB User
hmm, the last time i came off i gained a pound. That was ages ago tho. I ate complex carbs that time and my calorie intake was low. I really don't want to gain anything this time is there any high percentage method to avoiding it? I've been on atkins since May so i assume the carb punishment could be really harsh if i go back to carbs wrong.

Do you have foods in particular that you eat to avoid gaining? and what kind of portions and cals are we talking about here also?

thx for your reply much appreciated

Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
I have stayed on Atkins for almost 8 wks now. I find that I am able to eat regular food, potatoes, bread but not every day. I try to stay on atkins and when I want to "cheat" I just do . then I go back on. I have added fruit, mashed potatoes and pizza and I had cake over the weekend. I also try to walk everyday. If you stay on atkins but gradully add things you will be fine. just dont go off of it totally. still watch the carbs but insted of 20 now you can probably go to 50 or 60 per day. try to exercise. if you are gaining back. start restricting again. I dont want to go back to all the bad carbs again. I ate way too much "junk" and I feel pretty good without it. just monitor yourself.
good luck.
PS make sure that you dont go back to old ways of eating or you will gain it back.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
In the book he recommends adding them back gradually - start with 5 extra grams per day for a week then each week at 5 more grams.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:12 AM   #6
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Like I said before; I think alot depends on the type of carbs that you are adding back in. If you start eating more veggies, whole grain foods, and milk--you should be fine. If you start eating chips, cupcakes, lots of white bread, things that made you gain in the first place---the pounds will come back! If you keep track of the amount of carbs you are adding back in-it will be easy to determine how many you can add before you start gaining weight. Don't obsess too much about gaining "it all back". Just take it a few carbs at a time to determine what is right for you. If you find that you can't restrict your carb intake after adding some back and you being to gain back weight rapidly then maybe Atkins isn't for you. It works differently for everyone--there's no set standard for all people. Hope this helps!

Old 09-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
read the book.

It isn't a matter of "coming off" atkins after several days. atkins is structured to take you through several phases, most of the structured thinking in his diet is in fact in answer to your question--when and how to add which carbs, and so on.

can't be answered in a two paragraph post. that's why he wrote a couple of books about it. they are available second had and cheap on the net.

sena

Old 09-10-2003, 01:23 AM   #8

Tigrazhia HB User
Atkins is more or less a lifelong change of eating habits. After you have gone down to the weight you were targeting, I think Atkins is suggesting going up to no more than 110 carbs a day, which to an Atkins dieter is a heck of a lot of carbs.

The trick is too, like a couple of posters mentioned above, to stay away from sugars still. Sure one piece of cake for an aunt's 50th birthday party is okay but on a daily basis, just continue to avoid sugar in your diet.

Also I hear that people in that stage of the diet give themselves a weight limit, i.e they monitor the weight & allow themselves to gain let's say 10 pounds, but once they hit the 10 pound mark the go into ketosis for a few weeks to shed it off.

Also remember that going back to more carbs will automatically mean gaining water weight, so don't freak out once you gain a couple of pounds the first week

Personally I havent gotten to that stage yet, but I can't wait. Congrats & good luck

Old 09-10-2003, 03:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout-:
hmm, the last time i came off i gained a pound. That was ages ago tho. I ate complex carbs that time and my calorie intake was low. I really don't want to gain anything this time is there any high percentage method to avoiding it?
If you're worried about gaining a single pound (!) after changing your eating habits (and going through Atkins and then back again is quite a drastic change for your metabolism!!!) then that's quite worrying - as long as you maintain the healthy weight loss in the long run you really shouldn't worry about a single pound or two.

If you freak about a single pound then maybe you shouldn't be dieting but instead seek help for eating disorders (or at least disturbed eating behaviour/attitude to weight).

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
(male)

Scout- HB User
What i posted has been miscontrued.

I'm dieting and have about 41lbs left to lose. I've been on Atkins for 4months and have lost alot of weight. I'm not on it for life, and i have the book and know all the do's and dont's - Atkins has been very good to me but now it's time for a change. The 'i don't want to gain a single pound' issue relates to the fact that i will still be dieting when i do come off of Atkins and i don't want to have to retrace my 'weight steps' again.

There'll definitely not be any 'crazy eating' or cake/biscuit/sweet food consumption as this is counter productive to my weight loss. I exercise 4hrs a day. 2hrs in the morning and 2 later in the day an hour cardio for both and alot of specific training (i'm a martial artist) so exercise wise i'm ok.

I want to make as sure as possible that my transition from low carb, high protein&fat to higher carb, low fat eating is a smooth one and i don't want or would hope not to experience a gain during this time. That is why i'm trying to find the best possible method.

I hope this clears up any issues i may have left open ended in my previous posts.

Is there any possibility that the week i come off Atkins i could lose weight during the transition back to carbs?

Old 09-11-2003, 02:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
OK that makes more sense, although I feel that as long as you maintain & continue the weight loss overall you shouldn't beat yourself up over a pound or two!

Why don't you follow the earlier suggestion of keeping the carb intake low & sticking to healthier and complex carbs, leaving out sugar as much as you can?

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-11-2003, 03:33 AM   #12

Jolieanna HB User
Question

I am not on Atkins but I do have a question. I had always thought tha with that lifestyle, there is no returning to more carbs. Why do some people go back to carbs if the diet is working? Is it necessary for the body to do so?

Old 09-11-2003, 05:42 AM   #13
(male)

Scout- HB User
Boredom, repetition and the fact that I don't see crbs as the devil incarnate are the reasons why i'm coming off Atkins.

There is no law that you must do it forever, it is a way of life certainly but I feel no need to live my entire life under restrictions from any foodstuffs i may so want. The issue of Self-Control and correct eating is the factor i think should be taken on by everyone in life - but unfortunately some find they can't control their carb intake - luckily for me i'm not in that boat so Atkins is certainly not something i would do for my entire life.

It's more of a bother to 'stick to it' for some then it is for others and that can be another reason people come off it.

As long as you train/exercise enough and control your carbohydrates I see no reason to just completely ban them for your life *forever* - that's a long time without the for at the front!

Closed Thread