It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
Post Is it possible to gain 12 pounds in a week if you are not cheating?

My sister-in-law has lost almost 300 pounds.

It's a sad fact that she got to be 479 to begin with. A long story, but the end was that my husband and I were called when she was taken to the hospital because she couldn't breathe.

For the past 20 months she has been on a diet. She now weighs 194.

My question is: She is weighed each week on a Tuesday. Some weeks she loses quite a bit, like 10 pounds, a few weeks she has gained as much as 12 pounds. Most of the weeks, she loses about 2 to 4 pounds.

Is she cheating on her diet to gain as much as 12 pounds in a week?

Is this just a trait of being so large?

I really would appreciate information.

Thanks

PS: she excercises every day - mainly by walking. Now she is up to 5 miles a day.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I really don't know the answer to your question. But good for her for losing so much weight. I am sure it helps to have a loving family helping and encourging her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
I dont know either..i am curious though did she have a bypass or did she do it the old fashioned way??

these weight gains..were they when she weighed a lot more...i wouldnt think that at her present weight she could gain that much unless she really did something to cause it. it sounds like it might have been water weight of some kind, I guess...is she on any medications?

congrats to her for the hard work...i feel frustrated at having to lose 40-50..i couldnt imagine needing to lose 300+ ... good for her for taking charge of her health!

Old 09-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
(male)

roboto HB User
keep in mind...if you are on a diet at a set calorie total, and you "cheat", alot of the weight will be water, glycogen, salt retention. ive put on 6 lbs in 2 days from "cheating". it goes away when you get back to a normal stablazied calorie intake.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
The weigh gains have been in the last three months.

For the entire time, until now she has always lost weigh each week.

Now for the past few weeks, it's up and down and when it's up, it's up by a lot, like 12 pounds.

When it's down, it's by a few, like 1 to 3 pounds.

Today at her weigh in, she lost one pound form last week.

Yes, we are all very proud of her and happy that she is doing so well. She swears that she doesn't cheat, and I'm not asking you for your opinion to "catch" her in a lie. I truly just want to know if with large weigh losses, that it works like this sometimes?

Old 09-09-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
personally..i dont see at the weight she is now, how she could gain 12 pound without cheating...it might have been more plausible at a higher weight...

maybe not totally out of the realm of possibility, but i have never heard of that happening...hopefully she is not cheating and if she is hopefully not really badly...it is not good on your heart to gain weight quickly and it sounds like her health was compromised before because of the extra weight...good luck to you and her!!

Old 09-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
(male)

roboto HB User
ah ok i thought it was over like a week or so. the only thing i can think of , is that when you diet, you eat less, hence you metabolize less food, and your metabolism slows down. some times a "cheat day every so often gives your metabolism a jump start.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
She did it the old fashion way. By diet and exercise.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #9

Snowkitten HB User
Wink

There is absolutely no way she can gain 12lbs. in a week. To gain a pound you have to eat 3,500 calories over what your body needs. To gain 12 pounds she would've had to have eaten around 42,000 extra calories! Which is pretty much impossible. I would guess maybe she gain a pound and the rest is water weight, or if she's not going to the bathroom regularly that could probably add some pounds. Also if she's eating salty foods that can make her retain more water.

That is great though that she lost that much! Good for her!!

<3 Shannon
18 5'3"
SW 156lbs.
CW 135lbs.
GW 125lbs.
CW 125lbs.
TG GW 115lbs.

Old 09-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #10
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Snowkitten,
It is possible to gain that much in a short period, if she has a medical problem.

Does she have a thyroid problem? That could explain her struggle with weight and the rapid weight gain. Just a thought. Something worth looking into.

Old 09-11-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
Is it possible that the scale is off-kilter and not being accurate? I know that I had a scale before (i bought a new one!!) which had weights that jumped all over... just a thought....

Old 09-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
(female)

elephantlvr HB User
Nope, no way is the scale not accurate. It is a scale designed to weigh items for business use. It's accurate. The same scale that has weighed her since the begining. Also, my husband weighs himself at the same time each week. His weight would go up and down if the scale wasn't working.

She has been known to binge (sp??) So, I wouldn't put it pass her to eat all night? (Just a thought) Also, I know that sweets are one of her weaknesses (as it is mine)

She regularly has seen a doctor and I'm sure he has looked into health problems. She really doesn't have any health problems (amazing for the weight she was at) except fluid build-up, which she takes pills for.

Any other ideas?

It really puzzles me how she could gain 12 pounds in a week.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I wouldn't rely on the numbers so heavily, as weight can fluctuate greatly-- even within a days time. I'm not saying that this is definately the cause of her gain. But just for an experiment--try it yourself. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning and then again in the eve. wearing the same clothes. I've done this before (call me obsessed) and my weight can fluctuate anywhere from 2-6 pounds! If I've eaten alot of carbs and salty foods during the day--it's usually the higher #. It also depends on the time of the month too! Like I said before--there could be a variety of factors affecting her gain. She's come a long way--be proud of what she's accomplished!!!

Jen

Closed Thread