It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 10:16 PM   #1

KARATE MOM HB User
Wink thoughts on Dr. Phil last night

I watch the show and i realy got me thinking. I can not wait for monday show. I hope and pray this is my big lite bulb that is going to go off for me. God nows i need it to be. I feel like this is a good change. Finding out why i eat so much on emotion than just for hunger. Hope how ever watch it was helpful for you all.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:58 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I agree with his saying that it is a lifestyle change. But....he did not really touch on the food pyramid and the foods that are consumed. There are so many "FAKE" foods out there with manmade ingredients that are highly questionable. It is not fully known what the long term effects are from them. He didn't mention that refined foods and white foods such as white rice, white flour, white sugar all have ZERO nutritients, that they are turned into glucose immediately and then sugar levels are raised causing an insulin spike. That causes the pancreas to work harder to control your sugar levels. That explains the high diabetes in this country.

I just did not get that woman who was complaining about how nobody understands how hard it is. Life can be hard, but if someone chooses to eat unhealthy by consuming large portions, not exercising, eating all of the wrong foods what do they expect from people. She had insulin dependent diabetes, do you know how much hell she has put her body thru to get there? She wasn't born with it.

I also did not like the fact that he did not attribute any of it to perhaps a medical reason. I am hypothyroid. I have about 20 pounds to lose, I have been trying to lose this weight for 2 years now with little results. I have 100% changed how I eat ( I used to follow the food pyramid-big mistake) now I eat whole foods nothing processed or manmade, no refined foods at all, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week (I switch my routines often), and as I have said little to no results. Now according to Dr. Phil I am this way because I want to be this way. Well he is just plain wrong, and not just in my case. I usually agree with most of what he says, but I don't think he has thought thru on this one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I don't think that Dr. Phil meant to imply that everyone is fat by choice! But, I agree with him--most of us are. We make a conscious choice not to exercise (for whatever reason) or eat those oreos instead of apples! I realize that some people have medical conditions that hinder weightloss. We all do the best that we can.

I didn't expect him to give us a list of forbidden/allowed foods. Anyone who is familiar with Dr. Phil knows that he takes a psychological approach to everything. Get to the root of the problem; and then begin to solve it. I myself, thought the program was very insightful. Now, when I make my choices--I tell myself that they ARE MY CHOICES and I have total control over them. Hate to bug out early ( I could talk all day) but I'm choosing right now to GET MY BUTT MOVING!!!LOL

I'm also looking forward to his new upcoming season--where he will make the issue of obesity a priority!!!

Jen

[This message has been edited by jennielynn (edited 09-13-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #4

lindago9 HB User
I think he is sounding more like Oprah everyday. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by lindago9 (edited 09-13-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 07:36 AM   #5

italianlace HB User
I didn't understand the part where he said its not about willpower???? Don't you have to have willpower to enforce the discipline it takes to make yourself walk before bed or whatever?

Old 09-13-2003, 08:29 AM   #6

KARATE MOM HB User
Wink

You all have brought up so realy good points. I did not pick up last night. I think as the shows go on that he will touch on them. I think this is going to be a hugh wake up call for millions of emontional (i think that is how you spell it I am one and do not no how to spell it ) eaters. Last night I think it finaly hit why I am. Now the thought of having to deal with it is scary. If i don't then I will never lose this weight. I think it is a awsome way to battle weight lose. At least for me i need to arm myself mental now to battle this. Gods nows i have tryed every thing.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
I think when he says that it is not about will power is that if you tackel the emotional issues, you won't need will power.

For example, it's 9:30 at night, I had a horrible day, and I want to eat some ice cream. The key is not to use will power to overcome the urge, but to examine why I feel this way. If I really start to think about it, I can probably come up with why I am upset, maybe my boss embarrassed me, or something else. Then I can learn to deal with the issues that are really bothering me, instead of just turning to food. And I envision that I will be more fully living, b/c I will be aware of my feelings more.

Of course, discipline is necessary. It takes discipline to even decide to look at these things. And it is much harder to examine your feelings than to grab a Snickers.

But I think Doctor Phil is trying to look at the root of the problem. Not just cure the symptoms (poor diet, no exercise, etc.) but cure what is causing the symptoms.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:09 AM   #8
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I think you hit the nail on the head, Denvergal! Alot of people expected Dr. Phil to say: you should eat this way or do this amount of exercise. But I think he touched on something more important than that---the WHY'S of our weight dilemma! On Monday, he starts his Weightloss Challenge--I'm planning on both watching and taping!! For those of us on the east coast--beware: he's on at 5 now instead of 3!

It's funny--but I whenever I get a craving for something I know I shouldn't have or when I don't feel like exercising; I find myself saying: " you are making a CHOICE to carry out this behavior." That usually stops me from making the wrong choices!!!! I'm choosing "NOT TO BE FAT!!!" That is my new mantra!!!!!!

Jen

Closed Thread