It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

jenniscott77 HB User
Question alcohol and weight gain??

Hello,
I am wondering if any one has any info on alcohol and if it makes you actually gain weight. I have been reading on it and it sounds to me that the actuall weight gain comes from eating after drinking and that in fact drinking makes most women loose weight due to a rise in metabolism and more cals being burnt. I read this all on a web site which I will go back and get there info and post it so you can read what I read. So to end this does any one have any different info. I am asking all of this cause I am a 24 year old who enjoys going out on the weekends. I am trying to loose a couple lbs though so if the alcohol cause weight gain then I will put a stop to it.

------------------
Jenni Scott

Old 09-13-2003, 06:41 AM   #2
(female)

jenniscott77 HB User
here is that web site-
[url="http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html"]http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

jenniscott77 HB User
here is that web site-
[url="http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html"]http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html[/url]

if you have any problems with it just do a search and type in alcohol weight gain, you will see it there also.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
I was listening to a radio health program the other day and this very issue was raised... according to the dr's on this program, alcohol depresses the metabolism, thereby slowing calorie burning. In addition alcohol (with the exception of vodka, I think) is high in calories, high in sugar and high in CARBS... basically empty calories which turn into FAT pretty easily! Hope that helps!

Old 09-13-2003, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
I read that you body basically burns three things...fat, carbs and alcohol... alcohol gets burned first so if there is any in your system, then your body is going to concentrate on that after it is gone it burns carbs...then fat. that is how atkins is supposed to work, but giving your body low carbs so it can get to the fat quicker. the alcohol in the long run doesnt have an effect on metabolism but will slow it down while there is alcohol in your system.

I hope this is somewhat helpful...good luck!

Old 09-13-2003, 12:18 PM   #6

Shane S HB User
Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. It's hard to lose with a calorie source such as that, unless the calories are going down somewhere else. There is some evidence to suggest that drinking alcohol may be good for you, but it should be in moderation, the risks may outweigh the benefits, and the benefits are unlikely to be healthy weight loss.

Old 09-13-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

jenniscott77 HB User
Thumbs up

Ok thank you everyone! So its pretty much sounds to me like I need to stay away from alcohol in order to maintain a good weight loss system. That is what I will do.
Thanks Again!!

------------------
Jenni Scott

Old 09-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
Inactive

~aaliyah~ HB User
alcohol has about as many calories as cola i think?

Old 09-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Hi JenniScott! The Atkins Diet is a re-version of the old "drinking man's diet" that's been around for ages, only now there is scientific backing on it, thanks to Dr Atkins. I started the old atkins diet back in the early '70's. I was 19-20 years old at the time. I liked to party and go to the bars with my friends. Drinking age back then was 18. But I wanted to lose a little weight while still be able to go out to the bars with my friends. So, the basics of the "drinking man's diet" was eat all you want, just eat no or very little carbs. Drink as much as you want, just make your drink of choice is "no carb" like whiskey and diet 7up or diet sprite, rum and diet coke, etc. Check the carbs on the booze and mix with a diet mix. Add a lot of dancing on those nights off and yes, you will lose weight. Ever hear the phrase,
"candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" ? Bad thing about going out on a low carb diet and then drinking on it especially at your age, you'll get a hangover, and those hangovers will give you the carb munchies bad.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #10

Tigrazhia HB User
Also, even though drinking lowcarb drinks don't stall the Atkins or make you gain weight, it actually slows the weightloss process because your body will burn alcohol for energy instead of burning fat if it is given a choice.

Closed Thread