It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 08:54 PM   #1

frusturatedteen8852 HB User
Unhappy how do i loose my sides?

hello. i am a 15 year old girl..im about 5'3" and weigh 135 pounds, and its not muscle either! I want to loose 20-25 pounds by two months... How can I do this? Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
At your age, height and weight I think it would be better to work on toning and building some muscle. You aren't really overweight so what you need is to tone up (building muscle also help with burning fat AND with the overall way your body looks) DON'T get obsessed with looking like a super-skinny model; it's not real it's NOT healthy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
(female)

giddyup715 HB User
Best thing I can tell ya frustrated teen is this...I've raised 5 teens, the youngest is now 17 and she is a girl too. My oldest was just a little overweight (boy) and took up bodybuilding. I was afraid of the drastic change but the doctor said it is good for him to get into body building and even ok'd him using Creatine. He got into sports as well and was getting lots of exercise. He ended up becoming a model and even got a part as an extra in American Pie II.What a difference it made for him!
My daughter plays volleyball and basketball and softball, and swims in the summer. When she is not active in sports she puts on about 20#. When she is active in sports she loses weight just from all the activity. A lot of her friends are really skinny and some are very heavy. My advice is to get active. Burn some "fun" calories. Fun calories meaning getting more active physically in what you enjoy! Eat what you normally eat, but cut the amounts in 1/2.
PS. This may sound crazy to you all, but we have never had cable TV here ever! When we moved here, it wasn't in our area. When it finally got here, I declined getting it, not only cause of the extra bill every month, but because I didn't want to see the kids sitting on the couch all day (along with my husband) watching TV, sports, and MTV. They all get bored with regular TV and find something to do. Keep busy, active, get involved and you gain lots of new frineds too!

Old 09-14-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
Giddyup: I agree with you on the tv issue. With everything on the tube and computers today---many kids (and adults alike) spend way too much time sitting!!!!

I limit the time my children are allowed to watch tv and use the computer. On nice days--I encourage them to go out and play; swing, jump on the trampoline---anything to get them up and moving. We've become a society of "convenience" and convience isn't always healthy in the long run!

My advice to the original poster would be to not worry about the numbers so much. Afterall, you're 15 and still growing. Please don't get caught up in the "ideal body" by looking at models today. They may be stick thin but most are by no means "healthy"! You only have this chance to really be a kid--enjoy it!!!!!

Jen

Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #5

Talking

thanks for ur guys responses. dont worry i am not trying to look like a model or anything. and i dont really have a whole lot of free time to watch TV, i just watch it at night time to fall asleep...i am on the dance team, and then in the spring i have tennis. But dance isnt really the active, so I have been doing at least 30 minutes or cardio if not more a day...n' i am only going to eat 600 calories a day. It's what helped me last time loose some weight... thanks again!

------------------
**kallie**

Old 09-14-2003, 07:59 PM   #6

julez85 HB User
The working out sounds like a great plan, but be careful with cutting back your calories too much. MANY many studies have shown that by reducing your caolric intake by too much causes your body to go into a starvation mode, and then it will STORE calories more easily because it believes that there is a world-wide famine. Your best bet is to concentrate on ONLY eating when hungry (true hunger, not emotional eating) and concentrate on when you are full and satisfied. Restricting yourself caloricly can have many many mean side effects. It also encourages bingeing (and that is a REALLY mean habit to kick - trust me, nbeen there)

So, just get out, and have fun! Sign up for sports you like; start biking and walking places instead of taking the car. Park a little further away in a parking lot. Just start enjoying life!

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Veteran

posie HB User
600 calories a day?! That sounds a bit extreme to me. I would just do a little weight training to tone, like the others said. You may have lost weight on 600 last time but you'll end up being a yo-yo dieter (like I was) and when you get older it'll catch up with you. For some people I know it's easier to starve themselves to quickly lose the weight than to weight train and exercise, but it's very unhealthy.

You sound pretty active but cardio with no weight training may not be cutting it.

Also, maybe you could just cut out the junk food (ie. sugar, white flour, sodas, etc.) if you haven't already.

So do I sound like your mom yet?

"Now eat your vegetables!" http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Old 09-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #8

thanks, posie.... I am just trying to eat lots of fruits...and on some days i will have more than 600 calories...I guess i could have my dad help me with weigh training , cuz doesnt lifting weights help u burn fat off?
Actually u dont sound like my mom haha...Shes on the atkiens diet

Old 09-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Weight training helps you build muscle and tone you up .Cardio helps burn calories.If you do just cardio it will help burn calories but you'll be left with flabby skin.

------------------

Closed Thread