It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 06:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Post Need Help Getting Back On Track

I need help finding motivation. For the first half of the year, I was doing really good. I started back in March at 22% body fat and by the end of June, I dropped down to 11%. I went on vacation for a week and pigged out. But ever since then I haven't been able to get back on track. Before vacation, I had no trouble getting up at 5 to workout. I had no trouble eating healthy and only going out to eat once a week. And I had no trouble working out after work. But now, I struggle to wake up and I never feel like working out. I have no discipline when it comes to food. I eat out of boredom and after work, too often I stop for fast food and never work out. This morning I checked the scale and I'm right back to where I was in March. All the work between March and June wasted. I'm so angry at myself but at the same time, I don't feel compelled to try harder. I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't believe how much I've fallen. Getting down to 11% body fat was a major accomplishment for me. Another 3% and I would've been able to see my abs. Now all I see is a big fat belly. I wish I knew why I'm no longer motivated. I know it's not emotional eating or stress-related cause nothing's changed in my life. I just can't see what's different. I've almost taken on a "I don't care anymore" attitude. I need inspiration. I need incentive. Nothing I think of seems to be enough anymore. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 06:46 AM   #2
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
(((Donuts)))) I feel for you-really I do; because I've been there! No matter how disappointed in yourself you may be--sometimes you just got to forget everything that happened before and start over! Worrying or bashing yourself about it only creates a viscious cycle; the one you are in now! I lost 50 pounds (quite easily) several years ago and gained about 30 back. Now, I'm desperately trying to get rid of them (yet again) and what worked back then isn't workin now. I've still got a good 20 to go--which at times can get depressing. But, I know that if I want to reach my goals; I've got to move on from that! You've got to do the same. Forget the past and make a fresh start. It will be hard at first; but I know you can do it. When that alarm goes off at 5--drag yourself out of bed if you have to. Wash your face, brush your teeth, put on those workout clothes and do your exercise of choice--even if after 10 minutes you crawl back into bed. push yourself to do a little more each day and it will get easier. i promise, it will! One thing that I've found (especially with weight training) that when I've fallen into a slump and have skipped it for a long period of time--once you start up again--it really doesn't take that long before you begin to see those toned muscles again!

You can do this--I know you can! You did it the first time around, didn't you??? You are one of the posters here who really kept me motivated not to give up and I'm not about to let you give up on yourself! You are worth much more than that!!! Take baby steps and build upon them. I'm here for you----you know that. Don't give up---no matter what because I'm NOT GIVING UP ON YOU!!!! You just let me know what I can do for you to keep you motivated! We're all in this together and we all have our down times. What makes us winners is the fact that we can pick ourselves up and start again.

I want you to promise me that you will atleast try to do this! I'll be expecting you to keep us posted; of course! I'll be checking back soon--you better be here! :smile:

Jen

Old 09-15-2003, 06:49 AM   #3

CoolHandAmanda HB User
Donuts, while you were doing really well with losing weight, were you depriving yourself of your favorite foods? Maybe following a less-strict diet plan that would allow occasional indulgences would be easier to stick to long-term, and wouldn't give you that all-or-nothing feeling when you mess up. Even though you wouldn't lose the weight as fast, it might be less painful and more permanent. Just a thought...

------------------
~ Amanda ~

Old 09-15-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran

amberseattle HB User
Wink

Lets start fresh and new today! Nobody is judging you here. We are all friends and here to help eachother. You check in throughout the day, and we will do everything we can to get you thru it! YOU CAN DO IT!! And it might even be fun...You might just meet some cool friends on here! yea! I sure did.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
For those of you who are new to the board---Donuts & coffee has been part of our special group for a long time now! She took a short hiatus and is now back to join us again. She has lots of friends on this board who know that SHE WILL DO IT!!!!!!! We will all help her.

Jen

Old 09-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
well, donuts, I'm pretty new here and new to this whole weight loss thing, but I really hope you find your motivation again... You sound like someone who has been really respected in here and I hope you get past your roadblock and back to where you want to be. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2003, 09:50 AM   #7
Inactive

JoJo1972 HB User
Wink

Donuts is a man! I wish you the best Donuts. I can't get motivated at all, so I know how you feel. Good luck!

JoJo

Old 09-15-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
Thanks for the support. By the way jennielynn, I'm actually male. I guess everyone just assumes only women post to the weight loss board.

CoolHandAmanda, my diet wasn't too strict. I made sure to set aside one cheat day per week, partly as a reward for my hard work, but also to keep any cravings from getting too big. It worked well. By the end of the week, if I wanted junk food or a big fat meal, I could have it and the next day, I'd feel good for getting it out of my system. And then I'd just back on track.

I've finally figured out what's changed. There was one added incentive which is no longer present. At the risk of sounding like the typical insecure male, what really kept me going was the thought of this one girl I knew who was in incredible shape. She had abs like Anna Kournikova. I kept wanting to impress her, but by the end of June, I discovered that I didn't like her as a person. So all the sudden, I had nothing to look forward to. Eating right and exercising just for myself never seemed like enough incentive. I guess I need to find some other woman to impress. It's a stupid reason to lose weight, but boy does it work.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
hi dnc! u can do it!!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:33 AM   #10
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
dnc: I must apologize!!! There are so many people on this board that it's hard to keep the genders straight!!! And no--I didn't assume that because you were posting on a weightloss board that you were a gal---fat has no preference! Anyway; I'm apologizing profusely and I hope you'll overlook my blunder! The gender issue is besides the point. What I do know is that in the past you've been a valuable part of this board and I've received much support and motivation from you! And I'm hoping to continue doing so!

Sorry again!

Jen

P.S. If it makes you feel any better--tell everyone I (meaning myself)"used to be a man"!!!LOL Which, by the way--isn't true!!!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:56 AM   #11
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by DonutsNCoffee:
...I've finally figured out what's changed. There was one added incentive which is no longer present. At the risk of sounding like the typical insecure male, what really kept me going was the thought of this one girl I knew who was in incredible shape. She had abs like Anna Kournikova. I kept wanting to impress her, but by the end of June, I discovered that I didn't like her as a person. So all the sudden, I had nothing to look forward to. Eating right and exercising just for myself never seemed like enough incentive. I guess I need to find some other woman to impress. It's a stupid reason to lose weight, but boy does it work.
No reason is stupid, if it's giving you the incentive to do what you've gotta do! Sounds like you need to set your sights on someone new, Donuts!

I know how hard it is to get back on track once you've fallen off. For about 3 weeks, I crashed. I knew I was going on vacation and probably wouldn't eat right, so before I even left, I got the "I don't care" attitude. I ate terribly, and didn't exercise once. I gained a whopping 9 lbs during that time. I do believe some was water weight, but I know that not all of it was.

The thing that is helping me get back on track is the 3-day diet. I needed something strict, but with a short-term goal... small steps, you know? Not that I'm saying you should do that exact diet (because I know you had your own diet that worked for you), but maybe you could do some sort of small challenge to yourself like that - just a few days, not even a whole week. Push yourself to meet that one little goal. It might start the process of getting you back into your healthy lifestyle. Worth a try, isn't it?

I hope you are able to get back on track soon - you've been such great inspiration to many of us here, I don't want to see you falling backward! You can do this, Donuts!!!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Closed Thread