It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 09:51 AM   #1
Inactive

happyphantom321 HB User
Question Soup, soup, soup...

I'm thinking of buying a little crock pot because I'd like to eat more soup but never have time to make it for dinner. Any input...is it a good thing to buy, or just another kitchen appliance that I've convinced myself that I need? Also, any good healthy vegggie recipes out there from any of you for a crock?

It seems like those darn "naturally" thin people often eat a lot of soup...anyone ever noticed that?

Old 09-15-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Hi Hap, I love my crock pot. I make beef stew in it and my roast. I have a small one and a large one.
also I bought myself a soup pot to make soup.
you will use it and you can go on the internet and find recipes also a book usually comes with it. you will use it a lot in the winter. its great. put stuff in there and leave it cook all day.
enjoy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
happy, one of the best things I ever got was my crockpot... (and I got it free with my save-on-more points, Bonus!) I have cooked some awesome meals in it just because it is so easy, turn it on in the AM and dinners cooked when I get home. I would definitely recommend it!!

Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 AM   #4
Inactive

happyphantom321 HB User
Thanks chipmunkis and sue! I just took a little walk over to the thrift store where I work and got one for $5. Woo-hoo! Now if I can just find a place on my counter for it! Mmmmm....I can't wait until tomorrow when I walk into my house afterwork to the delictable smells of the meal I don't even have to cook! Maybe it will be like having a husband who cooks!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Happy LOL. A husband that cooks ???????

Old 09-16-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suej1946 HB User
Now I know I will be in trouble with any of the men on this board but lets face it guys there are not many of you out there that cook.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #7

Rikimaru HB User
I'll agree, most guys don't cook.. but I'm one exception. I actually do almost all of the cooking for my wife and I. The kitchen isn't a work place to me, it's a playground. I even do the dishes after I cook with the rationale that I played with my toys, and now I have to pick them up. I do a lot of Asian style cooking. I don't use a crock pot, but I have considered a fondue pot for heating broth for what is known as "hot pot" cooking in Chinese cuisine or "shabu-shabu" in Japanese.

One of my favorite soups is as follows. (Note: I don't do a lot of measuring.. I eyeball a lot. If you really want a measured-out recipe, this is a modification on most wonton soups)

Shiitake Noodle Chicken Soup:

*4 cans chicken broth (I find Butterball to be the best)
*1/2 lb. cooked chicken breast or cutlets (cooked to taste, quantity modified to preference)
*2-3 scallions, sliced on the bias (use the whites too... that's where all of the best flavor is!)
*thinly sliced carrots (quantity to taste.. I buy pre-sliced carrot chips and juilienne them into matchsticks)
*about 1 serving of udon noodles (quantity to taste)
*sliced shiitake mushrooms (quanity to taste.. I like a lot. They add bulk and a meaty flavor without a lot of actual meat. You could try baby bella mushrooms, but they take in more flavor whereas shiitake contribute more)
*1 tbsp soy sauce

Slice the mushrooms, scallions, and carrots and place in a bowl or on a plate, ready to dunk into the soup. Set some of the green parts of the scallions aside for garnish. Cook the chicken to your preference with whatever seasonings you like. Break the chicken up into little pieces. Cook the udon noodles and have ready to add to the soup.

Pour the 4 cans of chicken broth into a pot and add the soy sauce. Bring the broth to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, add the noodles, chicken, mushrooms, carrots, and scallions. Allow to return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.

Ladle soup into bowls, making sure to get some of all of the good stuff in there. Sprinkle some of the reserved bits of scallion onto the soup and serve.

As I said, it's not a really formal recipe. Just look for any wonton soup recipe in an Asian cookbook and there's your basic recipe. Obviously you'd leave out the noodles and chicken if you're making wontons. For other variations, you can add some sambal (Asian chili paste), mirin (sweetened cooking rice wine), and spicy prawns.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:07 AM   #8

Rikimaru HB User
Oh, I forgot to mention you can substitute leeks for scallions, if you want. They give a slightly different flavor, and can be more powerful than scallions. I slice them on the bias, like with the scallions, and then separate out the layers. As I mentioned, with scallions or leeks, definitely use the white parts. This is where a lot of the flavor that can contribute to the soup really resides. The green parts are good when you actually eat them, but the whites are where it's at for flavor enhancement.

Closed Thread