It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 08:03 AM   #1

FatBoy Roy HB User
Post Fat Boy Roy with a quickie tip!

FatBoy Roy here...with a quickie tip that has helped little O' me...I used to guess at the quantity of stuff I stuck in my pie hole...If I wanted a "serving" of cereal, I would just fill up my bowl and I thought that was a serving...then a buddy on my journey to lose 130 pounds of blubber, told me to run out as quick as I could and invest in a little food scale to weigh my food...So I got my little red wagon out and raced out and bought a little thing called, "The Gourmet Weigh" It's cute...and has a stainless steel tray with a 2 lb. limit, which also shows grams...You can also adjust the needle so it starts on zero. It cost O' FatBoy Roy about $15.00...you can do a google search..(put in "Gourmet Weigh")and get a picture of it and some prices...Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Target may have something similar...

Anyways...FatBoy Roy was surprised at how WRONG he was in guessing what a serving was or what something weighed...I was way off!!! My one serving of cereal (29 grams) actually was weighing close to 50 grams!!! I started weighing my fruits, meats, and what-nots and I was shocked!!!

So...a quickie tip here...If you don't already have a GOOD QUALITY food scales...RUSH out and go invest in one Also, one of those clear, see-through measuring cups that has cups and fluid ounces marked on the side is a must have...

Why do we need one of these??? Isn't that getting just a bit too technical and demanding to measure and weigh our foods??? FatBoy Roy says...NO...We need all the advantages we can get in this battle with flab...and knowing how much we consume is something intelligent to do...Even FatBoy Roy knows this now!!!

SO...Let's get it in gear...Get the "stuff" we need to have a best chance at success...In the long-run...it will help us feel more confident about the TRUE quantity of food we are gobblin'...WE CAN DO IT!!!!

Last edited by FatBoy Roy; 01-03-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran

amberseattle HB User
Awesome idea..Im going to get one today! I measure my cereal, but I use a coffee cup..which here in seattle can be the size of a small dingy..

Old 09-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #3

FatBoy Roy HB User
Amber...I measured my cereal in a bowl and I thought a bowl full was one serving...WRONG...It was closer to two servings than one!!! FatBoy Roy knows better now...I was shocked at how much difference there is between something as simple as an apple!! Some of them weigh 6 ozs, with the skin... and some weigh 10 ounces, with the skin...Little stuff like that can throw us off...BUT..Not anymore...We are Large..But in CHARGE now!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-15-2003, 08:35 AM   #4

FatBoy Roy HB User
Losing it...You have THE PLAN!!! Why guess when we don't have to...We're on the way...SO WATCH OUT!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM   #5

ChicagoChris HB User
Thanks for the tip, Roy!!

You can find some inexpensive food scales on Ebay!!

I have great measuring stuff from Weight Watchers. I like them because the cup size looks much bigger than a cup... lol

Old 09-15-2003, 08:48 AM   #6

FatBoy Roy HB User
Chris...You are on the ball... I found one of those digital food scales...with the little red lighted numbers that you could set on grams or ounces...Right now I'm sticking with my little "Gourmet Weigh"... But Ebay is a good source...I've never had the weight watchers measuring stuff...Sounds neat!!! We're on the right track...so let's get on down the road!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-15-2003, 09:13 AM   #7
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
first, lmao on thyat red wagon!!!!!!!!!!

second, abolutely. i have a food scale but id also like to suggest measuring cups& spoons.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:22 AM   #8
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
I have a farberware scale (not digital) that I picked up at our local Scratch & dent market for peanuts and use it faithfully!!! Another suggestion with the cereal & snacks: measure them out & put them in baggies; that way you won't have to measure them out each time!

Jen

Old 09-15-2003, 11:53 AM   #9

ChicagoChris HB User
Thanks for the tip, Jen.

Last night I spent about an hour measuring all my food for all my snacks and lunches for the next three days. It saves me time in the morning, that's for sure!!

Old 09-15-2003, 03:52 PM   #10

FatBoy Roy HB User
Andrea...Way to go!!! The measuring cups and spoons and little food scales are what we need...Every little thing like that helps us to get our O' bod' in condition to dance the night away... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-15-2003, 03:56 PM   #11

FatBoy Roy HB User
Jen...I love that idea of weighing or measuring stuff out and puttin' it in baggies...COOL!!!! So if O' FatBoy Roy is in a hurry...he can just whip out one of the baggies and chow down, but since it measured out...he won't PIG OUT too much...Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing and helping everyone with your knowledge!!!

Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #12

FatBoy Roy HB User
Chris...that's super weighing your stuff out for the next three days...That's got to help you save time...especially when you get in a hurry...and it acts as a deterrent to eating other stuff, because you already have this measured out and ready to go...I LIKE IT!!! We are making some smoove moves on the dance floor now!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #13

MyLilButterball HB User
Hey Roy,
Thanks again for another great tip! I have to say that I love reading your posts. You are so upbeat and funny. I've been diagnosed this past week with a condition that not only causes me to gain weight but also makes it very hard to lose. I've been quite discouraged all week but reading your posts have given me some humour and motivation. As small as it is, I've done 30 min of Advanced TaeBo yesterday and today. I also took a 2 hr walk with hubby and baby yesterday. Both days I've done some push ups and stretches and I'm really trying hard to drink enough water. It's gonna be a long road but your posts do make my day. Just wanted to say thanks.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #14

FatBoy Roy HB User
MyLilButterball...you are a totally sweet person...So far from family and friends...BUT coming home soon!!! I can feel the LOVE on this board...there are a lot of wonderful people here...and we are loving and supporting each other...With all this support...We can do this...one pound at a time!!! Your walking and TaeBO, stretches and pushups are just awesome!!! Way to go!!!! Let's keep it grooving!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 09-16-2003, 05:48 AM   #15
Inactive

happyphantom321 HB User
Nice tip Roy...so funny you mentioned cereal...it's SO deceiving! (Not like they say "about 53 flakes" on the cereal boxes like they do on other things) I have a nother tip for anyone with a little cash and already heading to the kitchen dept. Buy smaller plates. It helped me a lot. If I absolutely say no seconds, I eat much less b/c you just can't FIT 2 cups of mashed potatoes on a sandwich size plate with the rest of your dinner. It's defintely a less accurate portion control than measuring, but it really has helped me a lot (along with having pretty small tupperware containers for lunch packing). Anyway, good luck to all and thanks for the cheer Roy.

Closed Thread