It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 02:58 AM   #1

n0b_n00ber HB User
Post Loose Weight / Built Muscle

Hey, im 17 and im fairly chubby, but not so far as to say im obeese.
I wieght 90kg, and am about 5ft10" or 11" - Is this a bad weight?

I recently bought a bench press and some free hand weights. I want to built muscle, but I also want to loose my body fat. Some people try to only build muscle, some try to only loose weight, im taking the equalibrium approch which logically would make it the easiest approch right?
To build muscle, you must convert fat into muscle. Ive got plenty of fat so thats not an issue. But i also want to loose wieght. What is the best way to just loose body fat? I want to meet the body fat and weight 1/2 way. I can do the bench press and weights everyday thats not an issue, the know how to loosing the weight is.

What type of food do I eat so I can still build muscle, but loose weight! loosing the body fat is my no1 preference, the building muscle as i see it is a bonus that helps to loose the weight.
Also, what type of excersies should be done to compliment my workouts? Note- I only do weights as a work out. And play basketball once a week.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!
thanks

Old 09-17-2003, 05:45 AM   #2

2boys'momma HB User
Hey Nob,
Well, first of all you cannot turn fat into muscle. Fat is fat and muscle is muscle. You have to burn fat and build muscle. Your weight lifting will help build muscle. Any cardio exercise will help burn fat. So playing basketball is great, but you'll need to do it more than once a week. It's great that you like the weight lifting, because just having more muscle on your body will help you to automatically burn more calories.
As far as what to eat, just start with the basics...try to eat more fruit and vegetables and less bread, white rice, white potatoes and fried foods. Also drink plenty of water. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

[This message has been edited by 2boys'momma (edited 09-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #3

blondiebiker HB User
research for some sample training plans on the web and you will find some great weight lifting plans to help you get the look you want. You will want to alternate some muscles and not do the exact same exercises every day.
As for food, depending on what you eat now, just be sure you are getting enough calories for your age and activity level. You may want to read some of the low carb threads, or low fat even.
basically you don't really "lose" fat either, the cells simply shrink is all as the cell is depleted of fat storage to be used for energy.
You might read up on the "krebs cycle" you should find easily enough in any search engine. It will explain how your body breaks down and uses calories.
and lots of water...

Old 09-17-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
In short terms, you probably won't be able to build muscle efficiently during a calorie defficiency. Protein is the stuff that muscles are made of. Most people build muscle on a calorie surplus.

There are a couple of approaches to both losing fat and building muscle. My personal approach is to lose weight by diet, cardio, and weight training. During this phase the weight training is good for many things, including "after workout calorie burning," cardiovascular health, and muscular strength/endurance. I cannot lose weight efficiently and add lean mass at the same time. In fact, if i tried to maintain weight while "turning fat mass to muscle mass," this process would be inefficiently slow in my opinion.

Okay so in finishing my approac: First lose the weight, then add the muscle. One step, two steps.

Another approach (which may even be much better for you) is to cycle 4-6 weeks of calorie defficiency and cardio, and then 4-6 weeks of calorie surplus and weight training. then repeat. Resluts should be acheived much more efficiently this way (as opposed to building lean mass on calorie defficiency).

Of course, both of these cycles requires a lot of knowledge on both excercise and diet. there is much to be learned yet!

Closed Thread