It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #1

ash_elizabeth HB User
Smile Looking to cut back on carbs

Hi, I'm unfortunatly not new to dieting and weight loss in general, I was cursed with the heavy genes in my family. Anyway I've tried various methods and decided that regular excersise and portion control are in order. I walk 6 miles every day and weight train for 15 minutes every other day, I've cut back on what I eat, paying attention to what goes in my mouth as well as how much of it, and in addition am taking dietary supplements, however I haven't been seeing very good results at all, after some heavy consideration I decided to cut back on carbs, which I love so much. So just now I've taken the iniative and made some egg salad with whites only as well as tuna and boiled some chicken. I guess I'm looking for other suggestions, I'd rather not do the entire atkins or anything else, just something to that effect. I'm thinking I'll watch the carbs at dinner and every other meal none at all. Can someone help me out?

Old 09-17-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
Inactive

jennielynn HB User
My advice is to just watch the type of carbs that you do eat. Make sure they are complex; like brown rice and pasta. Sweet potatoes and whole wheat bread are other good choices. Stay away from white bread, white pasta, white potatoes...see the pattern here? And it goes without saying; keep those chips, sweets and other snacks on the grocery shelves where they belong--not on your shelves! Get you sweets from fruits instead. Hope this helps!

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Inactive

andreaphilip3 HB User
ash: join us on the lowcarb low fat thread since it sounds like yre still eating low fat as well.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #4

blondiebiker HB User
for me the easiest thing has been just to accept I "cant" eat certain foods. Really I don't want to, but by thinking in the "can't" mode it has been easier.
I never eat pasta..ever. I almost never eat bread.
I do have rices, even tortilla's once in awhile, which is a form of a bread in a way, so I just traded out.
Another thing that can help is to have some carbs in the morning..then taper off to where dinner is carb free...and lots of water...
also ...you might try increasing your weight lift time amounts....if you lift lighter weights and do more reps, you won't get bulky like so many worry about. I usually train people to do at least 3 different exercises (alternate upper & lower body days) with 4 sets of each exercise with a goal of 12 reps...each set each exercise..start with 4 reps if 12 is too many and work up and depending on what is easily lifted now once you find a comfi weight ( i use only about 12lbs for my upper body workout) then work on increasing the reps and/or sets.......and less rest inbetween...
youll be surprised the difference it will make.

Old 09-18-2003, 07:28 AM   #5

Rikimaru HB User
If you drink soda, consider how much you drink. A lot of people focus on food.. not drink.. and kill their diets because they're used to drinking 4 or 5 cans of non-diet soda a day. When I started thinking about what I ate, I realized I contributed about 300 calories to any meal I had when eating out because of all of the soda I drank.

As for the carbs, it's as it is with anything... be responsible. I personally don't advocate the tee-totaller approach, because that makes it harder to stay away from foods you love, rather than allowing them every so often. I'm a subscriber to Men's Health, and one thing I see working for many folks is allowing themselves one day to eat what they want. For me, it's Saturday. I'll abstain from desserts (save maybe one small ginger cookie) every night.. but on Saturday, I allow myself to either make a trip to Krispy Kreme or a local gourmet bakery for something tasty. That way, I haven't totally denied myself for months, and the dessert is that much tastier because I waited.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 AM   #6

ash_elizabeth HB User
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. I haven't been drinking any soda or anything besides water every day, some mornings tea, and milk at dinner, I've never been into soda's anyway so it wasn't a big adjustment.
I also have been alternating what excersises I'm doing during the day and which part of my body I'm targetting every other day. Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully if I keep it up the results will begin to show.

Closed Thread