It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #1

Determined2Lose HB User
Talking Hehe, my new diet...

So I decided to do a diet I shall dub "The Back to Nature Diet." Basically eating only natural unprocessed foods that shall only include water, fruit, veggies, and nuts. Let's see how long it lasts. I think this is pretty much a vegan diet although I'm not sure about all the vegan details. I just really wanna lose the weight and figure these are all healthy foods and people survived on them for centuries before. Do you guys think I will lose weight if I stick to this, and the xenadrine??

------------------
We can do it!!!

Old 09-17-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran

posie HB User
hi determined,

Veg. diets can be good as long as your careful about getting enough protein. I couldn't do it myself because I like chicken and fish and even a little meat occasionally. But if you can get enough protein elsewhere, it should be good. Make sure you get enough natural fats too (helps with feeling full) of course not too much

GOOD LUCK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Inactive

happyphantom321 HB User
Hi determined,
It seems like it might be a good "cleansing" type of diet (lots of fiber), but I wouldn't keep it up for long. I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now, and gone through the various degrees from vegan to ovo-lacto and I have to say that even when you know A LOT about nutrition and combining proteins, it is very difficult to get enough protein without ANY dairy or eggs. It's not impossible, but you really need to be careful and do a little reading (diet for a small planet has some good info on combining proteins, but they promote ovo-lacto vegetarianism). You may also want to look into various supplements, like iron, some of the B's and calcium because those can also fall really short. Good luck though! I'm sure if nothing else, you'll feel, well, CLEAN.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
i really dont know much about this but like what was said protein is a major issue with veg. diets... you really need to do some research on this... i know that beans have protein but they have to be combined with rice that as a diff type of protein to make a "complete" protein like that is found in meats...
good luck with this I hope it works out for you!!

Old 09-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #5
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
It's true: beans and peas are high in lysine, low in methionine (soy is the exception). in contrast, grains such as pasta, rice, corn, and also almonds, and sesame seeds are high in methionine, low in lysine. you need to choose complimentary proteins.

also, zinc absorption is greater from a diet high in animal protein than a diet rich in plant proteins. vegetarians need as much as 50% more zinc in their diet than the RDA value; furthermore, people with "inadequate" calorie intake are at higher risk of zinc defficiency.

in addition, only 1% to 7% of the iron in vegetables such as rice, maize, black beans, soybeans and wheat is absorbed when consumed as a single food. However, dietary factors can significantly improve iron absorption. Meat proteins and vitamin C will improve the absorption of iron. you need twice as much iron and it should be consumed with vitamin C. supplementing is not necessary if you're thoughtful about your diet planning.

there are many other things to consider. I'm no vegetarian or i'd know a little more about the important considerations; however, you can see that there is something to be said for animal protein. it's no wonder that many vegetarians you see are kindof pale and weak looking- no offense-- i'm just saying that some people i know who are vegetarians, but not nutrition conscious, could use a lesson or two.

[This message has been edited by stabmaster (edited 09-18-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 01:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
I agree somewhat with stabmaster... many people who "try vegetarian diets" have no clue what they are doing and are undernourished and malnutritioned. That being said, however, there are many vegans who put a great deal of thought and planning into eating well so that their diet does contain all the essentials.
While I was never a full-out vegetarian (I ate fish and white chicken/turkey meat on occasion), I knew that I would not do the required research and planning to ensure that I could do Atkins in a safe and healthy way, so I chose to add meat to my diet. I am eating pork chops and bacon now, although I can honestly say H#LL will freeze over before I ever eat any beef (I have hated it since I was a little kid!) Even the smell makes me nauseous
Just remember that, whichever route you choose, you have to ensure that you are getting all the nutrients your body needs to stay or get strong and healthy!

Old 09-18-2003, 02:43 PM   #7

CoolHandAmanda HB User
Actually (speaking as a lifelong vegetarian and 2-month vegan) humans really require very little dietary protein. A diet composed exclusively of fruits, vegetables, and grains will easily provide sufficient protein, especially if you are eating small amounts of nuts and beans. As long as you are getting balanced amounts of the other nutrients you need (vitamins, calcium, etc.), which you will if you eat a wide variety of plant-based foods (meaning not just carrots and apples, or something crazy like that), the only nutrient your diet will be unable to provide a sufficient amount of is B-12. If you have been eating meat your entire life, your body probably has a large enough store of B-12 to last you 2-3 years; if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet longer than that, it would be wise to take a supplement.

I think that a lot of people like the idea of becoming vegetarians without actually knowing how to give themselves balanced nutrition on a vegetarian diet. I had the benefit of being raised a vegetarian, and am living proof that a vegetarian diet can produce an extremely healthy, robust person. It is just important to be informed, and the unfortunate fact that many "veggies" aren't is probably responsible for the frail or unhealthy-looking ones that many of you know. That said, don't spend too much time fretting about protein. Just eat enough food, and a good enough variety -- and talk to your doctor if you feel you are malnourished in any way.

Edited to add: Forgot to say this. Determined, yes, you will absolutely lose weight (not to mention the other health benefits) on a diet like you describe, especially if you limit your intake of nuts and other high-fat foods like soy products, avocados, and oil.

[This message has been edited by CoolHandAmanda (edited 09-18-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran

posie HB User
So stabmaster, should we be calling you Professor Stabmaster? You could very well be from UC Davis . You definately know your stuff http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 09-18-2003, 05:54 PM   #9
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by posie:
So stabmaster, should we be calling you Professor Stabmaster? You could very well be from UC Davis . You definately know your stuff http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
haha! that's very flattering. I just graduated with a degree in biochemical engineering from UCDavis. Although I specialize in microbes, much of what i have learned is easy to apply to the ol' humanoids we know and love best! Beleive it or not, i pretty much gathered what i know about nutrition from websurfing- learning is kindof a habbit of mine :wink: -- i guess it's not a bad one.

Old 09-18-2003, 07:55 PM   #10

Autumn26 HB User
hey, isn't UCDavis where they filmed the first season of Soroity Life on MTV??? I LOVED that show!!!!!

Autumn

Old 09-18-2003, 10:34 PM   #11
Inactive

stabmaster HB User
heh. yeah it is. I'm so (1) anti-MTV and (2) anti-sorrority/fraternity crap that whenever i saw cameras around i'd toss **** and yell profanities because i really didn't want them around. It's a bunch of -----bags doing a bunch of ----bag ----.

Oh yeah and i see Jordan quite often at the Cantina (bar). she's pretty into herself. i see the others, too, but i never watched the show so i don't really know who is who.

Closed Thread