It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
Post Attn. Travel (Elizabeth)

I did a search online to find out about Naples. They are having their Grape Festival on Sept. 27th and 28th. When did you say you were coming up here? I also found some other funny facts.

~~Received national attention for May 2000 fly infestation, caused by a farmer fertilizing fields with 200 tons of chicken manure (LOL).

~~Known for the self-serve grape pie stands dotting the hilly countryside each fall.

~~At the first town meeting, held in 1796, community leaders voted to pay two pounds for every wolf or panther killed, and eight shillings for every wildcat.

Anyway, I am really going to talk my husband into taking me there that weekend of the festival

Old 09-10-2003, 06:37 AM   #2

Autumn26 HB User
It's so funny to those of us living in the part of the world that "outsiders" don't eat grape pies! In the fall you can find many roadside stand selling grape pies. "Monica's Pies", the one in Naples, was also featured on a special about the Finger Lakes on the Food Network. They are FANTASTIC pies, and you MUST try one if you're here. The only one I've had that's better than hers is my grandma's!
The Grape Festival is a fun time! Get there early in the day. There are tons and tons of people there each year.
And yes...Grape Pie IS ok for your diet...hehehe It's been proven that mixing grapes and sugar erases all of the calories and the fat and the carbs...It's really the same thing as eating celery...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 06:54 AM   #3
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
LOL Autumn about the pie calories Good to know!!

I have been forwarding all these little things I've been finding to hubby at work. I think we'll definitely go. And I will talk my bro and sis in law into coming with us too. They have 3 kids and I think it'd be fun!!

Old 09-10-2003, 06:58 AM   #4
Inactive

Houdini HB User
OMG, I see the signs for Monica's pies every time I go home! I've never bought one, but have always been curious & consider stopping each time I go by... but I just can't get grape pie into my head - it just doesn't seem "right." I mean pumpkin, lemon, blueberry, raspberry, apple, etc - but GRAPE? Too funny! I'm gonna have to give in & buy one when I go thru Naples at Thanksgiving, if Monica is still selling her pies!

Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 AM   #5

Autumn26 HB User
Oh Don't worry Houdini!! That's a big selling time of year for her!! My grandma always asks me to bring one for Thanksgiving dinner. She (grandma) makes her own, but it's really time consuming, and she has so much to do for TG dinner, so Monica makes it for us...hahaha I'm only about 15-20 minutes from Naples, so I go pretty often! There's also the big Widmer's winery right in Naples, too. It's gorgeous, and they give great tours!

Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Autumn, I grew up near your area. I'm from Hornell - do you know of it? I don't live there now, but did for the first 21 years of my life. I just love the Finger Lakes region - would love to live in or near Canandaigua someday, if I stay in NY (Hubby & I are considering moving a bit south someday). Can't wait to try the grape pie! I might have to visit home before Thanksgiving!

Old 09-10-2003, 07:28 AM   #7

Autumn26 HB User
Sure I know Hornell! It's neat to talk to people on here who are practically neighbors!! Where are you in NY now? I live in East Bloomfield, and I work in Canandaigua!! I just love it in this area, too.
I can't believe you're from this area and never had a grape pie!! Shame on you! hahaha If it's not too far of a drive you should go to Naples for the Grape Festival!

Old 09-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Well, it is kind of a far drive, but not too bad I guess - I'm just outside Plattsburgh, way up in the northeast corner of the state. It takes me about 6.5 or 7 hours to get to Hornell, so probably about 45 min less to get to Naples. If I had any vacation time to spare, I'd take a 3-day weekend & come for the festival, but my vacation time is all either used up or scheduled for the holidays. Maybe next year, though! Sounds like fun. You'll have to tell us all about it!

Old 10-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #9
(female)

Travel HB User
Shel: I am checking all the older messages on this board looking for some I hadn't read before my trip. I ran on to this message from you and can't understand why I didn't see it before. Thank you for posting it.

I am really sorry I missed your Naples, and very, very sorry I missed your fall foliage. I won't depend on a bus tour in the future for fall foliage. They are always too early and it is so disappointing.

Elizabeth M.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #10
Inactive

Shel1974 HB User
I didn't make it to the grape festival

Maybe next year!! Glad you enjoyed your trip. After our postings last week I did a search on the local weather station and it was closer to the middle of Oct is when peak starts!!

Closed Thread