It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

Orchidz HB User
Question Best Exercise Routine for Weight Loss?

Hi all,

I have being doing exercise. But, I would like to get faster results in losing weight. Iím going to the gym at least five times a week and take one of the following classes: aerobics, kickboxing, Pilates. When I donít take a class, I do some walking on the treadmill, bike and swimming. I would like your advice about what exercise is better to lose weight. What type of exercise routine do you recommend me?

I haven't done any weight lifting because I need to lose all the fat before starting to build muscle. Well, this is what I tought, maybe I am wrong, please give me some light.

Thanks to all for your advices,
Orquidea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 06:40 AM   #2

Wendy16256 HB User
Thumbs up

First off congratulations on starting your weight loss! It is tough I know! Personally I walk 3 miles about 5 to 6 days a week and I watch what I eat (not too many sweets,fat, etc...) I have heard from quite a few people that the best way to lose weight is to jog/run and the weight will melt off. Unfortunately, I am still a little too heavy to do that yet but that is my goal. Hopefully this helps and good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
Thumbs up

hi.... actually the best thing to do is start some strength training, as muscle burns more calories, so if you build some muscles you will lose fat better than if you don't. If you go to a gym, you can do it there, or you can buy light hand weights and do it at home. But definitely start building muscle!!

Old 09-13-2003, 01:06 PM   #4

angelmagic HB User
I have to agree with chipmunkis...I've have read and talked to a personal trainer and they said the more muscle you build, the more calories you'll be able to burn. For example...if you were to finish your cardio workout with adding some weight lifting you would be burning calories for upto two hours afterwards, even when sitting on the couch!! So, definately add some weight training. Chow

Old 09-13-2003, 02:00 PM   #5

Belle1969 HB User
a couple of months ago, Dateline did a research on weight loss. They chose 4 people who needed to lose at least 25 or more. One person basically jogged 5 miles everyday. another individual was on the Atkins Diet, one on Slim Fast and the last one did Hypnosis. about 1 month later, they followed up on these people. The Jogger suprisingly didnt lose any weight instead her body fat turned into muscle. I read that the Atkins Diet individual lost the most weight. Hypnosis was second, then slim fast and the jogger, well she's healthy, lol. But no changes in her weight, so she was a little disappointed.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #6

Noa24 HB User
The Dateline study doesn't tell the whole story, though. The jogger's metabolism is higher now b/c she has more muscle, and she should start losing weight. Weight loss with exercise like that (muscle building) doesn't happen immediately. Usually, people GAIN before they start to lose. It all goes back to delayed gratification...

Noa

Old 09-15-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
(female)

Orchidz HB User
Smile

Thanks to all to reply my post.

I know Wendy, it is so difficult to jog/run. I cannot do that, but I can walk. I heard that if you walk 3 miles you would lose weight quickly. But, you have to watch what you are eating as you do. Any good results that would you like to talk about it?

Friday, after my Pilates class, I asked to the instructor about my concern. I told her that I wasnít sure to keep doing Pilates that I thought this class was more for toning. She said that was true. Pilates is for toning the muscles. She recommended me to do my cardio workout and then if I want to do Pilates as an extra, you know top of my regular cardio workout. She also said, that running or power walk will make me to lose weight rapidly than any other work out. I asked about the weight lifting that I wanted to do some; she said again that it was good after my hour cardio workout and do not use weight, just make a lot of repetitions and the faster I can. She recommended me after I get close to my weight then I can start adding weight to the machines.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Orquidea

Old 09-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

chipmunkis HB User
It is not better to do repetitions faster for weight training. In fact, it's better to do movements in a slow and controlled manner- this prevents injury and stress to the muscles and joints. I have never heard of anyone suggesting that reps be done quickly!
Prior to having my son, I did weight training regularly, and emphasis was always placed first and foremost on correct posture and form. You will not necessarily notice weight loss, but you will likely see a change in how your body looks as it gains definition. I would also suggest that you start off with no weights then move to light weights (soup cans work well!) and GRADUALLY increase the weight as you get stronger. And DON'T do it fast!!!!

Old 09-15-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
Veteran

amberseattle HB User
I totally agree with chipmunkis..I have always heard
"quality vs.Quanity" The more controlled your movements the harder they are to do..inturn, the more cals you burn which = LESS FAT!

I actually like that though..even though its harder, you dont have to do as many..lol

Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 PM   #10

Snowkitten HB User
Thumbs up

I agree with everyone that jogging/running is the best and that building muscle helps you burn fat faster. I just wanted to add that my favorite exercise is The Firm because it combines cardio and weights so you get a VERY powerful workout and results you can see very soon after using it. Good Luck!

<3 Shannon
18 5'3"
SW 156lbs.
CW 135lbs.
TG GW 125lbs.
CW 125lbs.
TG GW 115lbs.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:35 AM   #11
(female)

terrible_static HB User
Talking

Wow Shannon!
I've just noticed you have lost 21 pounds? How long did it take you and what are you doing?????????????????

Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 AM   #12

Rikimaru HB User
Regarding jogging and changes in weight.. don't forget that muscle is denser than fat. The same volume of muscle will weigh more than fat. For illustration, take 5 cubic inches of muscle. That will weigh more than 5 cubic inches of fat. So, while you gain muscle, if you don't have much change on the scale, that doesn't mean you haven't lost fat. It just means that you've replaced that fat with muscle, and since it takes less muscle to weigh the same as fat, you've probably shed quite a bit of fat while your weight hasn't changed.

That's one of the shortcomings of fixating solely on what the scale says, or any other single measurement of fitness. Once measurement alone isn't going to tell you the whole story.

And I'll lend my support to the idea that you should go ahead and start resistance training. For one thing, resistance training will enhance your ability to perform in your cardio workouts, allowing you to work/play harder and burn more.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:51 PM   #13

Workoutgirl HB User
You absolutely must incorporate weight training into your program. I have been exercising and weight training for 8 years, 6 days a week. I have started running again (about 5 miles 3 x a week). I lift and do another type of cardio 3 x a week. I am hoping to see results from the running very soon. P.S. I am 5' 4" and weigh 164, however I'am a size 10-12. I go by my clothes rather than the scale, because I have alot of muscle.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #14
Inactive

Froggie98 HB User
Weight training is a MUST. It will help you become stronger and leaner. Plus, you'll see results pretty fast! My arms started to look really toned in only about 3-4 weeks.

As for running- I just started doing this. I have lost 5 more pounds than I had planned to. I have noticed, though, that my thighs are a little bigger than they used to be- it's solid muscle. Many of my pants are too big around the waist but fit in the thigh area. However, that's okay with me!! I wouldn't trade my muscles for anything!

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:18 PM   #15

Snowkitten HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by terrible_static:
Wow Shannon!
I've just noticed you have lost 21 pounds? How long did it take you and what are you doing?????????????????
Hi Terrible!

I have actually been stuck at this weight since January. Last September I started using The Firm, Slim Fast for Breakfast and Lunch, and eating small amounts of food for dinner. I lost the weight By December so about 4 months. Which isn't bad considering I was too heavy. Then I kinda stopped The Firm and the Slim Fast and now I can't get below 134lbs. I hover between 134-138lbs. But that's my secret!

<3 Shannon
18 5'3"
SW 156lbs.
CW 138lbs.
TG GW 125lbs.

CW 125lbs.
TG GW 115lbs.

Closed Thread