It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #1

nikki2kids HB User
does the "sweat belt" work??

I have a rubber belt that I wrap around my waist, especially when I work out. It makes me sweat in that area a great deal. I was just wondering, however, if that's really helping. Just because I'm sweating more, does that mean I'm using more calories? Or, is it just water loss that will get replaced as soon as I replenish my body with water? Does anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #2

nikki2kids HB User
I can see that a lot of you have read this but have not replied. DonutsNCoffee, do you know anything about how or whether this works?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #3

Salamandrina HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki2kids
I have a rubber belt that I wrap around my waist, especially when I work out. It makes me sweat in that area a great deal. I was just wondering, however, if that's really helping. Just because I'm sweating more, does that mean I'm using more calories? Or, is it just water loss that will get replaced as soon as I replenish my body with water? Does anyone know?
This is only water weight. You do not and cannot burn more calories by wearing a belt such as this. Furthermore, when you work out, your body temperature rises and is disappated into the surrounding environment. Wearing a belt like this makes it so your body cannot cool down like it wants to (hence, you sweat in a vain attempt to reduce body temperature). When you get overheated, you feel more exhausted and studies have shown that it reduces the length and intesity of the average workout. This means basically that it is backfiring.

Old 11-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #4

nikki2kids HB User
Thanks for the reply. I think you might be right. When I wear it, I do feel more tired. However, if your body temp is going up, doesn't that mean that you are burning more calories? Just wondering....

Old 11-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User
I can see how people might think the two are related. If you exercise, you work your muscles and that generates heat. The heat raises your body temperature and the body keeps it from getting too high by getting rid of water. This is because water is an excellent heat store and it's so easy to get rid of. But unfortunately it's not that simple. There is no direct correlation between sweating and calories burned. If it were that simple, you could wear winter clothes all summer and burn calories. If someone ever invents a device that you attach to your body that tells you how many calories you're burning at a given moment, he or she will be richer than Bill Gates.

Old 11-13-2003, 03:03 PM   #6

Salamandrina HB User
To be precise, that is because both rubber belts and winter clothes do not make it so that you generate more heat, they merely make it so you are not losing the heat you DO generate. I read that drinking a 14 oz glass of ice water burns about 4 calories (this was about 10 years ago so please don't ask for a source). Because your body temperature is pretty constant 98.6, drinking something cold gets dissipated into your system and your body burns calories to get you back to 98.6. So technically, you would probably be better off being too cold than too hot as far as weight loss goes. That is why you shiver too by the way, it is your body's attempt to keep warm by burning more calories.

Please nobody take this as a reason to go around all winter without your coats on (your mothers would KILL me )

Closed Thread