It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #1

Aurora M. HB User
thick thighs and calves...help!

I have thick thighs and calves and I can't wear a lot of things I want to like most all knee-high boots and most skirts. It's really embarrassing when you are about to go off to church for Christmas mass and you mother tells you that you need to wear a slip under the first skirt you've worn in years because it looks like it's sticking with static. I was a little upset because the skirt was laying right up against my thighs, not static. I have a lot of muscle in both my thighs and my calves, though I know my thighs have a lot of fat too, and it's probably from being a gymnast quite a few years ago. I'm starting to count my calories and exercise more, but I'm wondering if any of you know if maybe my thighs and calves will thin out some while I loose the weight? I'm worried that while I exercise the muscle will just get bigger and it seems that the exercises I've been doing, even though they're not for that area, seem to work the top of my thighs where most of the muscle is. I'm probably worrying too much, but worrying none the less. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
(female)

Janette* HB User
Re: thick thighs and calves...help!

If you are just doing cardio (like walking, or swimming), then I wouldn't worry about bulking your muscles further. Just try to avoid muscle-building exercises like squats, lunges, etc. Basically, if you aren't doing much weight training, it's extremely unlikely that you will gain more muscle mass - especially if you are dieting!

Some forms of cardio are theorized to increase muscle mass, so I will list them in case you want to be very cautious. The exercises I have heard to cause thicker legs in women who bulk easily are: cycling, running, and jogging. I am not saying these exercises are guaranteed to cause super muscular legs in women, I'm just saying that I've heard that they can possibly contribute to it (despite lowering calorie intake).

So my advice to you is to choose a form of cardio that isn't too hard on your legs, so as not to force them to become stronger or increase in size.

Diet is very important too, of course, so I hope you choose a suitable amount of calories.

I hope I helped some! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Inactive

Missladyt1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora M.
I have thick thighs and calves and I can't wear a lot of things I want to like most all knee-high boots and most skirts. It's really embarrassing when you are about to go off to church for Christmas mass and you mother tells you that you need to wear a slip under the first skirt you've worn in years because it looks like it's sticking with static. I was a little upset because the skirt was laying right up against my thighs, not static. I have a lot of muscle in both my thighs and my calves, though I know my thighs have a lot of fat too, and it's probably from being a gymnast quite a few years ago. I'm starting to count my calories and exercise more, but I'm wondering if any of you know if maybe my thighs and calves will thin out some while I loose the weight? I'm worried that while I exercise the muscle will just get bigger and it seems that the exercises I've been doing, even though they're not for that area, seem to work the top of my thighs where most of the muscle is. I'm probably worrying too much, but worrying none the less. Any advice would be helpful.
Aurora, I know the feeling because I have big legs and thighs. What you need to do is more reps to tone and smooth out the muscles. Instead of adding weights do more reps and there is nothing wrong with doing more than 3 sets of reps. Try and do your cardio at least 4 or 5 times a week. I would suggest that you try and eat fruits, salads and veggies with every meal as this will help you lose weight. I would eat smaller portions of meat and drink plenty of water. This should get you on your way, it has me. Hope this helps you.
~Missladyt1~

Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

sjs40 HB User

I know what you mean about large thighs, especially when you firm up. I once firmed up by weight training and my thighs did become slightly larger, but skulpted.

One thing that I have done is The Body Wrap. I have lost a lot of inches off my body. Having this done releases the toxins in your body. You don't loose weight, but inches. It's important to have THE body wrap, not just any body wrap. There is a difference. This is more effective. You can do a google search and find out if there are any places in your area that do this if you are interested.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:00 AM   #5

JADEDGYPSY HB User
Talking Re: thick thighs and calves...help!

Hi there. I was always petite thin, yet curvy. As a cheerleader I had thicker thighs and calvs. Don't be so fearful of not gaining muscle! It's the muscle that will save you in the end. Muscle gets "hungry" and what does it feed off of? Your unwanted stored body fat. So you see it all evens out. Once the fat is lost, the muscle in your sculpted legs will look great! Tips of the trade: 1. don't wear socks that cover your ankles, just the no show ones. 2. A tiny bit of heal on the shoe stretches out the leg, and makes it appear less bulky. 3. Get bottoms a size too big, to give the illusion that it is loose and doesn't cling. 4. When goin out on the town with a short skirt, dust some bronzer on the back of your calves, to darken. It will make your legs appear thinner. Hope it helps- Jaded

Old 01-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

People are born with a certain number of Type I (endurance) muscle fibers and Type IIB (strength and mass) muscle fibers. This is why some people can muscle mass more easily than others. There are also Type IIA fibers which can go both ways. It's possible to change the characteristics of the fibers. This is done by training them in the correct way. In general, lots of medium intensity cardio causes the muscles fibers to act more like endurance fibers. Think of long distance runners and swimmers. Their muscles are smaller cause they don't train them in short intense bursts the way bodybuilders do. So even though you might be afraid running will make your legs even bigger, I would continue it. But don't apply any resistance cause that will cause you to gain muscle. Likewise, don't try to go too intense. The idea is to run at a moderate pace for longer sessions. I used to have bigger thighs but years of running made them smaller.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 AM   #7

Cleorama HB User

I have heard the advice of sprinting, and sprinting uphill to lean out thighs. Not long runs, but short bursts. Also, your diet is REALLY important, it seems like junk food goes straight to the thighs.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleorama
I have heard the advice of sprinting, and sprinting uphill to lean out thighs. Not long runs, but short bursts. Also, your diet is REALLY important, it seems like junk food goes straight to the thighs.
Definitely don't do sprinting. Sprinting stimulates the wrong type of muscle fibers. You'll end up growing muscle, not losing it and your thighs will get bigger. Ever see an olympic sprinter with skinny legs?

Closed Thread