It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
Female in need to lose weight....

Hi.

I am almost 30 years old (3 weeks to go!), i'm 5'4, and i weigh 305 pounds. i've always been a big girl my entire life, but truly, i didn't know i was this big, until i went to the doctor and she weighed me. i was completely taken aback that i was over 300 pounds, but then after checking the home scale, i realize, i am that weight.

my blood pressure is normally 135/80, which i was told was good for my size. like i said, i've always been a big person, but when i was a kid, even though i was fat as a kid, i was still very active, running, riding my bike, my parents never understood how i was fat as a kid, but somehow, i was. they blamed it on the words, "big boned".

so now here i am, ready to change. both of my parents died from diabetic related heart attacks. my mom died 11 years ago at the age of 54 and my dad died a year ago at the age of 68. i realize that because of my parents history, i do have a huge chance of developing diabetes and heart problems. so far, though, i am not diabetic nor do i have heart problems. i do have anemia and asthma though.

i just recently, within the last couple of days, had surgery to remove a kidney stone. the fear of the surgery and the aftermath made me nervous and scared and brought up a lot of feelings in regards to losing my parents too soon. while preparing for my big day, i just couldn't help but think of them leaving me too soon and i decided right then and there, i refuse to leave my boyfriend behind too soon.

i want to lose weight because my health needs me to. i need to lose weight so that i feel better and not have to worry about my health on a day in and day out concept. i dont' want to worry about my asthma when i walk around the mall and i don't want to not do something because i could have an asthma attack. i realize, the less i weigh, the less pressure on my lungs, the less likely my asthma will be a huge problem.

i want to lose weight, because while i am in a higher risk factor for diabetes and heart problems, since especially on my mom's family, everyone either had diabetes or heart problems, and of course, my dad also had it, i don't want to keep myself at a higher risk anymore. i know that genetics made me a risk, but i could lower that risk and i want to do that.

i realize losing weight won't be simple and i realize that if i have 1 bad day and end up pigging out, it's not the end of the world and i can just pick up and start over again. i need to do this for my health and for my boyfriend so that 60 years down the road, we will be happily married with grandkids, and for myself so that i don't have to worry about developing illnesses.

i guess what i would like is any advice about losing weight. is there a plan that is better than others? is it better to stay away from carbs or eat carbs? better to have protein or no protein? seems there are so many reports that i thought maybe some of you might have some suggestions or even know of websites to check out.

anything support, advice, encouragement would be wonderful and thank you so much for listening to me.

Charlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #2

tjennings HB User
Re: Female in need to lose weight....

Charlene,

First of all, congratulations on realizing that you need to take control of your health! You seem like you are really ready to start on your way to a healthier, happier lifestyle.

Secondly, I am by no means an expert of any kind, I can only tell you what has worked for me. I don't believe in any diet that begins with "no". I think it is close to impossible to go no-carb, no-sugar, no-whatever. It is just too hard.
I would start by ADDING things to your diet. Lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy, and lean protein (chicken breast, ground turkey, baked fish, etc.). Also, I don't know if you drink regular sodas, but if so, switch to one diet soda per day and make the rest of your beverages green tea, skim milk, and WATER!
Lots of WATER!! Try to eat every 3 hours. A great, protein packed breakfast, lunch and dinner, a light snack at mid-morning, and another one mid-afternoon. Doing this will keep your metabolism running and also keep you from eating too much at your 3 major meals.

As far as exercise, to start I suggest walking for an hour every day (or every day you can) until you build up a little energy and strength. Do it at the same time every day, and find a friend to walk with you if possible.

If you could make these adjustments, I promise you would see a HUGE difference within a couple of months! Good luck and keep us posted on your success!

Old 01-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran

robste HB User

Charlene, you sound like you're making a good start already! Just knowing that you want/need to lose weight for the right reasons, like health, not just to be "skinny" is important.

I agree with the other person who posted...I wouldn't follow a "diet" unless your doctor recommends something specific. Instead, how about eating lean proteins, lots of veggies, a few servings of fruit a day, dairy products, "good fats", such as almonds & other nuts, peanut butter, and olive oil., and then an appropriate number of carbs. per day. Just cutting out a lot of processed foods helps too, because they are usually high in salt, fat and sugar.

Drink lots of water too...it's good for you and helps fill you up.

I also lost both of my parents at an early age...it's so easy to drown your sorrows in emotional eating, and I really commend you for dealing with things so well.

Please keep on posting & let us know how it's going.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Inactive

BLaKstang HB User

Charlene,

I'm glad you are ready to make a change. Please remember, this is not a DIET, but rather a lifestyle change...One that you should adhere to the rest of your life. Here are some tips for your new lifestyle:

1) Stay away from Soda, even diet soda, as it dehydrates your body. Also, try to avoid Juices as well, because they are high in sugar and calories. Sugar is the cornerstone for diabetes, remember. So you should always try to limit the amount of sugar you eat. If you eat too much sugar, your insulin levels may not be able to keep up with you! So again - limit Juice/Soda/Anything sweet in your lifestyle!

2) Eat every 2-3.5 hours. And eat small portions. This will keep your metabolism going. Here is an example:
Morning - Oatmeal w/ egg whites and a glass of skim milk
Mid-Morning Snack - Protein Shake (low in sugar/carbs) or Protein Bar (low carbs/sugar/fat)
Lunch - Lean Chicken Breast with Garden Salad/Water
Mid-Afternoon Snack - Protein Shake/Bar
Dinner - Small portion of pasta with some type of lean meat.

Every meal should be about 200-300 calories.

Drink a lot of water -- up to a gallon per day! Water helps flush out fat/toxins.

Remember: drink only water, skim milk, tea...
Note: Alcohol is a no-no! Try to avoid it, as it is filled with empty calories. (One shot of hard liquor is 100 calories!!)

Make sure you eat a lot of protein in your diet, as it helps retain and build muscle tissue which in turn burns fat!

Carbs aren't a bad thing, but just make sure a meal has a balance between carbs/protein/fat/fiber!

And excercise 3-4 times per week. Do light resistance training/cardio.
If you can, get a personal trainer who knows what he is doing!

Well, that is all the advice I have for now. Good luck!

Closed Thread