It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #1

yaqui93960 HB User
Lost but gaining back. Help!

Hey there,
I have always been overweight until last year, at my highest weight, 240 lbs. All of a sudden, i started to lose weight, i didn't change the way i ate or excersised, but i was losing weight at about 10 lbs. a month. Soon i was all the way down to 170 lbs. and i loved it.....until i ended up in the hospital. It turned out that i had Juvenile Diabetes (i am only 14) and that the ketoacidosis is what made me lose, so when i went on insulin, i automatically gained 10 lbs. I kept on gaining the weight back, and then it turned out that i also have hypothyroid. So i slowly kept gaining. And now i am at 225. I am so scared of gaining even more weight than i already have.
I have tried atkins diet, but i felt that it was unhealthy with all the fat. The South Beach Diet seems very healthy, but every time i try it, i end up eating carbs, and so i say to myself "Well, i already cheated, so i might as well pig out". But it happens like every day, so i just keep putting it off. I have started doing The Firm and i like it alot. But its the eating that gets to me, i always break down. How can i stop this? And if you have any suggestions to anything, i would appreciate it very much.
Love,
V

Old 04-04-2004, 03:20 AM   #2
Inactive

THX 138 HB User
Re: Lost but gaining back. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui93960
Hey there,
I have always been overweight until last year, at my highest weight, 240 lbs. All of a sudden, i started to lose weight, i didn't change the way i ate or excersised, but i was losing weight at about 10 lbs. a month. Soon i was all the way down to 170 lbs. and i loved it.....until i ended up in the hospital. It turned out that i had Juvenile Diabetes (i am only 14) and that the ketoacidosis is what made me lose, so when i went on insulin, i automatically gained 10 lbs. I kept on gaining the weight back, and then it turned out that i also have hypothyroid. So i slowly kept gaining. And now i am at 225. I am so scared of gaining even more weight than i already have.
I have tried atkins diet, but i felt that it was unhealthy with all the fat. The South Beach Diet seems very healthy, but every time i try it, i end up eating carbs, and so i say to myself "Well, i already cheated, so i might as well pig out". But it happens like every day, so i just keep putting it off. I have started doing The Firm and i like it alot. But its the eating that gets to me, i always break down. How can i stop this? And if you have any suggestions to anything, i would appreciate it very much.
Love,
V
with diabetes, what can't you eat? I did atkins about 4 years ago and lost 25 lbs. I got really tired of it. Gained it all back.(see below) Fatty food isn't an issue with it if you eat lean protiens like turkey, and chicken...

When losing weight you can't think of it as a diet or a program, its about changing your mentality and the way you live. I stopped drinking soda, eating lots of french fry's, getting chips.... getting those combos at fast food places.. and I lost 70 lbs in the past year. I went from 280ish and 42" pants to 215ish and 36-38" pants. I was 200 lbs in 9th grade... I know what its like growing up I wish I had the internet and atkins knowlege back then.

to lose weight you either gotta burn off more calories than you take in or take in less calories than your body burns. So when you cut calories you don't wana lose muscle so by default you get to a high protien, low carb, low calorie diet. The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be. Since I lost the muscle that supported my 70 lbs my metabolism has gone down noticeably. So I had to cut more calories. Lifting weights is what I'll probably do soon to combat that. I've always lifted for my arms but those muscles are tiny compared to your leg muscles.

Last edited by THX 138; 04-04-2004 at 03:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

With diabetes either South Beach or Atkins would probably be good diets. The bad carbs are the ones that raise your blood sugar. You might want to read the books so at least you know which types of carbs you should avoid. I am doing weight watchers which is a slower kind of weight loss but very healthy. You can eat whatever you want to, but there are benefits to eating the healthy foods (you get more). It might work better for you if you just can't deny yourself certain types of food. Watch the high glycemic foods though! Your doctor could probably send you to a nutritionist if that would help, insurance might pay for it too.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User

Atkins is not a diet based on the Glycemic Index, the South Beach is. It is very easy to follow if you just plan on sticking to it. I basicly do the South Beach, but I eat more whole grains and fruits than it allows sometimes with no ill consequences. Please, get the book and read it or look it up on the net. I am borderline diabetic and this is helping me a great deal. Lifting weights also helps. Start off slow and work your way up. You can do it.

Closed Thread