It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

Abrie25 HB User
Question another newbie, can any1 help me with a weightloss routine?

I'm 24, about 5'6 and maybe a couple more cm's , about 180 pds and i jiggle more than jellow. My goal is to lose at least 20 pds and get toned up. My long term goal is 30-40 but im starting slow and realistic. I want to eat a stable, healthy diet and pretty much have that under control , but i need to incorporate an exercise/workout routine that incudes weight training. Heres my problem. Right now, i am not gaining or losing any weight bc i walk a good amount to get to my bustop to and from the college i go to, and i always bike or walk to most places. But its not enough to lose the weight and get tone. My questions are how long should i jog, is it ok to jog/walk in the beginning, should i start with 8 pds or 5 pds (5pds feel way too light after a couple reps, but 8pds feel like they are too heavy and my arms get sore.... im also a bulk fearer too so i want to make sure im lifting teh right amount and doing teh right set of reps:P) And i think thats all i really need to know bc im pretty sure i have the meal deal down. Any help would be much appreciated! Oh, and i cant join a gym so everything has ot be at home or outside.

Last edited by Abrie25; 04-07-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: another newbie, can any1 help me with a weightloss routine?

First, you will not "bulk up". Women just do not have enough testosterone as the guys to get "massive". But you will get "Toned" (build muscle) by lifting and you will burn fat by doing so. Also build upper body strength.

The only way to build the muscle tone is to lift progressively heavier weights after you reach a certain number of sets of repetions. Strength training means lifting moderately heavy weights for 4 sets of 10-12 repetions or abit less. (If all you can do for now is 8 reps with the 8 pounders, that is fine) You rest for a minute inbetween each set. IF the 5pound weights are feeling too light, then by all means lift the 8 or 10 pound dumbbells. This is the only way you build the muscle and burn the calories. The overall workouts should only last about an hour, though. A three day split (Mon/Wednes/Friday or whatever works for you) is generally a good beginning. You can add cardio on the offlifting days or for 30 minutes after you lift.

The "soreness". If all you can do is lift the full repetions for only two sets or only 8 reps per set....that is fine. The next time, you will find you can do more each succeeding set until the full 4 sets can be done, if that is your goal. Some prefer doing only 3 sets.

Be sure to stretch and warmup before you start and always use strict form while lifting. This is to prevent any possible injuries, like strains. If your arms actually HURT doing some exercises, then stop. I cannot do lateral raises because of an old rotator cuff tear in my Left shoulder. This is not from lifting, however, this is from an old trauma sometime in my past ( I am 52). But when I first took a Women's Strength College class, it showed up and gave me some problems at first and my instructor told me not to do these. I still use his basic workout program for my exercises at home. Added some others as alternatives to the gym machines I had access to before.

After my classes were over, I have continued at home with a basic adjustable bench barbells/plates and dumbbells with plates. The majority of freeweight exercises can be done with just a minimum of equipment.

You might want to keep a journal of your exercise workouts...it certainly helps keep you on track and less confusion on what you did the previous days.

I lost 60 pounds this way by lifting and moderating my diet. I took the class for a year and learned much.

Last edited by Laurie2; 04-12-2004 at 01:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread