It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
If I burn 430 more calories than I take in, will I be put in starvation mode?

I calculated somewhere that if I wanted to lose 5 kgs in 3 months I would have to burn 430 calories more than I take in daily. After I've reached my goal I would try to remain. So burned calories = calorie intake. How does this sound? Am I putting myself into danger of starvation mode by losing 430 calories a day? 5 kgs of bodyfat in 3 months doesn't seem too extreme to me. I would probably burn around 2000 calories a day, and take in around 1500. Also my calories would come mostly from complex carbs (and some simple carbs from fruits and veggies), protein and some good fats (fish/peanutbutter). Will I keep my muscle mass if I go to bodypump classes twice a week? I'm also going to use the powerplate. Our gym has had it for a week now, and I tried it out once. Really weird feeling, but cool. It's suppose to speed up your metabolism and maintain or maybe even create slightly muscle mass. So I would use that thing twice or thrice a week as well. I am seriously scared of putting myself into starvation mode, but I really wanna lose some bodyfat... well so what do you recommend?

My stats are: 16, female, 55 kgs (122 lbs or so) and 159 cms (5"2 feet I think)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Re: If I burn 430 more calories than I take in, will I be put in starvation mode?

No, not a chance unless you are a teeny 90 pounder.

A 500 calorie deficit yielding a pound weight loss a week (3500 calories) is an ideal weight loss program and you are fortunate to be able to burn 2000 calories at 122#...ahh to be 16 again- I think back then I could eat 3000 calories a day and not gain!....sigh!

Best excercises for keeping muscle mass are the strength excercises with resistance rather than aerobics (which in my estimation are all too leg-oriented.)

Last edited by zip2play; 04-11-2004 at 10:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Re: If I burn 430 more calories than I take in, will I be put in starvation mode?

oh wow thanks man that's really comforting to hear. well i do both aerobics and weightlifting (bodypump), is that good? weightlifting for burning kcal and bodypump for gaining muscle and increasing metabolism. besides, i don't wanna weigh nothing, while not having any muscle either, that looks too unhealthy

Old 04-12-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Sure,
A balanced excercise program is good but make sure the aerobics doesn't get in the way of the weightlifting (machines).

Closed Thread