It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #1

Escared HB User
More vegetables as part of weight loss plan

I am new to this board, but I am hoping to find some help. I recently decided to loose weight for good! I have started out with little goals like for the first two weeks I decided to drink the 6-10 glasses of water a day. I am doing great, I haven't a problem doing that. I drink a glass of water before every meal and in between. One of my other goals is to eat vegetables. Now I hated water, but I could handle it. I really HATE vegetables though. I love the smell of them, the way they look and I LOVE to cook with them. But I can not eat them. I was never made to eat them as a kid. My question is, how do you make yourself eat vegetables. At least the ones you need, like carrots etc. I don't mind raw carrots, I can handle tiny bits of lettuce (ok not even a whole bite of lettuce), and I love potatoes. But other things, I just can't do it. Can anyone help me? I would love to learn to eat vegetables. I think my weight loss would be so much more easier. I eat fruit and love most of it. So is this just something I need to make myself do? Or is their something like eating one vegetable at a time till I like it? I really want to do this.

Thanks,
Escared

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: More vegetables as part of weight loss plan

Ah.....my son is just like that. I have tried to get him to eat his veggies as a youngster and all he wanted was meat. He will eat "some" veggies now, like instant mashed potatoes (but for some reason, not fresh ones). Beans (as in "Chili with Beans") But balks on others, like carrots, peas, lettice or anything else. But as a little kid, he did end up going to the doctor because of constipation problems twice for not eating hardly any veggies and does not want to repeat that. Not eating enough fiberous veggies will do that. The fiber is needed to loosen and help push out the stuff in your colon....awful as that sounds. Whether you like it or not....healthwise it is a must.

Now, he will have ketchup or tomato sauce in pasta. LOVES hot sauces and will drown his meat and any veggies with it. At least he does not have any problems with constipation anymore with all that....LOL.

His younger sister loves veggies.....go figure.

But try using some spices on a sample vegetable. Most vegetables are very bland tasting by themselves unless you add spices to enhance or bring out tastes that will help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 06:00 AM   #3
(female)

Acemartini HB User

My teenage daughter puts soy sauce on most of her veggies. High in sodium, but I don't add salt when cooking most things so I don't worry.
I went through a hate veggies stage - they made me nauseous when I was pregnant & I had a hard time afterwards (they all tasted nasty). Finally I decided to put some salt on them. It worked & got me over the hump.
Also, try raw vs cooked. My daughter loves raw cauliflower but won't eat it cooked. Ok, well, I force her anyway.
Hope this helps

Old 05-26-2004, 06:27 AM   #4

Escared HB User

Thanks for the information. I think I am going to have to mess aroundwith the vegetables and see if I can figure something out. I really do want to eat healthy and loose weight. I hated water when I started a few weeks back. Now I can't live with out it. When I first started on this journey, I lived on rootbeer. I changed to diet. I never thought I would drink diet, I made myself do it. Now I have stopped drinking any kind of soda at all. I only drink water, juice, milk and tea once in a blue moon. But mostly water. So I know I can make myself do it. I just have a harder time eating something I hate, rather then drinking something I hate. I planted a garden yesterday, so I will have vegetables on hand at all times for the most part, maybe with fresh vegetables it will be easier to eat them, instead of cold storage stuff.

Thanks for the information. And Laurie, also not enough water will do the same thing to you. lol Trust me!

Escared

Closed Thread