It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #1

Phaint HB User
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects

After reading almost all the apple cider vinegar posts I have to ask... What are the side effects of this? I mean a drink that helps you burn fat magically? Come on this has to mess up something.

Everyone in the world would be drinking apple cider vinegar if this was the case. I want to try it out but I am a bit skeptical. What if I take it and then stop after a bit, would I gain the weight back?

Last edited by Phaint; 06-15-2004 at 09:54 AM.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #2

Phaint HB User
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects

anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

angelgrl28 HB User

Well i dont think that Apple Cider Vinegar will make you magically lose weight, but from what I do know it supresses your appetite. There shouldnt be many side effects if you are drinking it straight and not taking pills then the only side effect would be from too much acid, but other than that it shouldnt be that bad but I dontthink you will lose a lot of weight by just drinking it alone you will have to diet and exercise too just on any other diet.

Suposingly green tea helps boast your metabolism that would prob be better to drink instead of vineagr i mean i absolutley love vineagr but i could never just drink it straight.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

Melodius1 HB User

You don't drink it straight. It's supposed to be mixed with 8oz of water 2tsp of apcv. I've never heard of any side effects but do know that pirates used to keep them on their ships in barrels as it as used to cure scurvy, shingles etc. It was used as a medicine back then, so it can't be all bad. I'm using it myself (the raw unprocessed kind) and my appetite is surpressed. Another good thing about it is it helps hair loss, eczema etc.

If i do suffer from any adverse side effects i'll let ya know.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
(female)

pkpointe HB User

Ok just for a warning. You PEE all the time when you drink it. yes it does help as an appetite surpressent but it is just easier to swallow it straight or else you might be gagging all over the place.. Just remember you will pee ALL THE TIME!!

Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User

I love it! It tastes funky at first, but after a week I was looking forward to drinking it! I just mix two capfuls of apple cider vinegar with my glass of ice cold water and it tastes pretty good (believe me it's an acquired taste.) A friend at work told me about it but I wasn't using it primarily for weight loss. I was using it to just "clean out my system." She told me that it cleans out your colon, intestines, help your arteries, etc.

The only side effect I've had is farting. I farted A LOT when I drank this stuff regularly. It would have bothered me so much but the smell is pretty gastly (no pun intended.) I have lost six pounds however I've changed my diet and am exercising five days a week. I'm not sure if the drink had much to do with it but she told me that it does help in losing weight. Trust me, it's not a wonder diet remedy. If you do lose weight, I think it's pretty minimal nothing spectacular.

Michelle

Old 06-18-2004, 05:49 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I take it when I remember to because I like the taste and I can HOPE that some of the hype is true.

Now scientifically, Acetic acid is involved in the KREBS cycle also called the Citric Acid cycle (acetic acid- 2 carbon is used to make citric acid-6carbon.) Without this conversion, we sort of....DIE!

It's a circular set of chemical reactions that decribes the manufacture of energy from the food we eat. Basically a carbohydrate burnoing cycle with inputs from fats and proteins....really pretty much the core of metabolism.

Some of the arguments for the old grapefruit (citric acid) steak diet hinged on influencing the Krebs cycle to a weight redicing reward.
Whether warranted I'm not sure. The acetic acid would just take this argument one step forward!

I'm a chemist and I find this subject EXTREMELY complicated (but rewarding after the first few headaches) but you can peer into it if you dare !

Old 06-19-2004, 07:58 AM   #8

Phaint HB User

I tried to drink this a couple days ago, mixed with water + honey and MY GOD. I gagged on the first sip and tried my best not to throw it up. I tried it then through a straw, no dice even worse.

To those of you who drink this I salute you because I have NO idea how you could do so. My friend says everyone who drinks this loses weight because they throw up afterwards cause of the bad taste/smell.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Inactive

renae HB User

Yes, it does supress the appetite and I didn't think it tasted that bad at all. The only side effect that I had--and this is definitely something that can vary from person to person, but I expereienced yeast infections! I think it was because I was getting too much vinegar in my system so my pH was off balance. I know it was the vinegar because after the first time, I went off of it for awhile and then started again and yep, yeast again! I haven't hadn't had a yeast infection in years and the only get them when I try this diet!

Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
(female)

Nermal1975 HB User

I'm telling you it tastes funky at first. I never felt like I was going to throw up though. It's pretty nasty the first couple days but after awhile it tastes OK. I've never tried it with honey although my co-worker mixes it with honey. Are you sure your using the raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar? The one you find in a health food store? I use Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (it's got this weird old lady on it with some kind of dead animal around her neck). If you're using the grocery store version (Heinz, etc.) then that might make you gag. Plus, if you do have the raw, unfiltered vinegar you HAVE TO mix it up very well.

Let me know! But like I said, beware of the farting!! The smell is atrocious. That may be a side weight affect for people around to lose weight by proxy since one whiff of your flatulence will make them lose their appetite.

Seriously, try it for a few days but make sure it's raw and unfiltered.

Oh yeah, I never got a yeast infection from it. You might be right. I suppose the acidity would make one's ph system go haywire.

Michelle

Last edited by Nermal1975; 06-20-2004 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 AM   #11
(female)

Melodius1 HB User

Nermal1975, you made me laugh hehehehe.

I agree with you on the raw unfiltered kind tasting better. I used to drink the Heinz brand but i couldn't take it anymore, a few weeks ago I went and purchased the raw kind at the health food store, and WOW, what a difference, it tastes milder, plus i mix it with wildflower honey from the health food store, it tastes great and i look forward to my cocktail everyday. It also surpresses my appetite. So far no yeast infections.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:47 PM   #12
(female)

Quencher HB User

Today, I tried apple cider vinegar for the first time. I must say, it was... err, awful! I mixed 2 tsp of it with a glass of water, and I almost GAGGED trying to gulp it down! Ack. And I also notice that I got really dizzy and stuff. Is this normal? Would it be better to add it to say... a diet coke or something other than water? As the coke will cover up the taste more?

Also, does it work as well if you take it AFTER a meal rather than BEFORE? And what's apcv? I know it's an abbrv. for something, but I can't figure it out.

Last edited by Quencher; 07-01-2004 at 11:49 PM.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #13
Inactive

renae HB User

Hi--what kind of vinegar did you use? Did you use the "natural" kind or the regular commercial kind? The natural is better and more effective. How much vinegar are you using? You don't need much--just a couple of tablespoons. Add a little bit of honey--that also helps. I don't think mixing it with diet coke would be a good idea.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #14
(female)

Quencher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae
Hi--what kind of vinegar did you use? Did you use the "natural" kind or the regular commercial kind? The natural is better and more effective. How much vinegar are you using? You don't need much--just a couple of tablespoons. Add a little bit of honey--that also helps. I don't think mixing it with diet coke would be a good idea.
Hey, Renae, thanks for the advice. I'm using the regular commercial kind. I had no idea there were "natural" kinds too. How would you know the difference? I used 2 teaspoons, by the way. I tried it for two days, and now I'm off of it, haha. The taste is simply unbearable. Ack!

Old 07-09-2004, 04:52 AM   #15
Inactive

renae HB User

Hi--I think when I first tried the diet, I found some resoures on the net which said to use the natural form of the vinegar. They never indicated it because of the taste but because it is the form which is effective for this diet.
You can find it in the natural food section of your grocery store or natural food store. I must warn you though--it is more expensive than your regular commercial vinegar! I can't remember the price though because it's been a few years since I've done it.

I honestly didn't think it tasted bad at all--especially with the honey. But after a while, I remembered that I no longer felt the need to use the honey!

Closed Thread