It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User
Another Carb Question

Although I'm not trying to maintain a low-carb or carb-free diet, I *am* trying to cut back on them because I was eating way too much before - pasta, potatoes, rice, white breads, etc.

What percentage of your daily intake of calories do you leave for carbs? Any recommendations? According to a fat/calorie/carb calculator, based on what I've eaten so far, carbs are already at 66% for the day. I think that's a little much.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User
Re: Another Carb Question

Also, a little excerpt from a news site about low-carb foods in the store:

"Low-carb almost always means high price. Low-carb beers cost more than lite. One low-carb breakfast cereal costs nearly four times as much per serving as regular cereals. Atkins breads cost twice as much as most regular breads. And most low-carb foods sacrifice a lot in taste and texture. (Not the candies, apparently, where chocolate flavors mask a lot.) Maybe this is a good thing—people will eat less of these foods, and the fad won’t last.

In the meantime, our advice: Don’t be fooled by low-carb foods. There’s no evidence that they’ll help you lose weight. They are not significantly more nutritious or less caloric than many regular foods. And they eat up food dollars better spent on plain good healthy foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables. "

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

66% does seem a little high even by high-carb standards (or whatever you want to call it - I'm a low-carber). The other day I saw a post by an anti-low-carber talking about 55% of her calories coming from carbs. Moderate carbs would be in the 40% range. Low carbing in around 30 but down to about 10 on something like Atkins induction.

Work on cutting all those "white" carbs - that is a recommendation that comes from all camps (though some would argue for a potato [with the skin of course] now and then and whole grain products). How is your protein intake? Maybe that could stand to be pumped up a little, which would bring the carb percentage down.

The quote most definitely applies to all the low-carb products that have made their way to the market place. I don't know of any low-carb plan and requires these products. In fact many specifically do not allow them. All the plans I have read about stress real food (which includes veggies and fruits).

A little research can bring much clarity to labels (like "low carb") and hype.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I recommend 50% carb, 25% protein, and 25% fat... most people do very well with these ratios. You may need to tweak a bit. I also recommend adhering to these ratios at each meal - not just for the day. It helps to stabilize the metabolism.

I always see potatoes lumped in with white bread, pasta, candy, etc... not the same! Potatoes are good for you! They are all natural, high in fiber, and very nutritious. You do need to weigh them - you really don't want more than 6 ounces at a time. And obviously, you don't want them fried! Same with rice... brown rice is sn excellent source of complex carbs, again, no more than 3/4 - 1 cup at a time!

Regarding your excerpt... I AGREE!!!!!!!! Avoid foods that are labeled "low net carbs" or "only XXX net carbs" - this is a RED FLAG for high calories and chemical additives. These foods usually contain sugar alcohols and fermentable carbs that are not metabolized properly by the body. The theory is that they "pass right through your system" which is a "kind" way of saying that they are toxins that must be excreted out of your body. They actually hinder your liver function making it harder for you to metabolize the good food you eat and they are known to cause gastrointestinal problems. The FDA has not yet regulated how foods are labeled in this regard - and there is much controversy over it.

Do yourself a favor - count all your carbs, and just be aware that the more fiber you consume, the better.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I forgot to mention, 50% carbs really should be the limit - and 40% should be the bottom line. Remember that what you don't eat as carbs is going to be protein and/or fat. It can be very dangerous to consume more than 30% of your calories as protein or fat, for a variety of reasons. But most people have the reverse problem - they don't consume enough protein. Make sure your protein levels are 25-30% of your calories.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Thanks for all the tips

I agree about the potatoes. I get so angry when I see the carb fanatics bashing a perfectly healthy food. I'm a mashed potato freak, but I don't load them with butter and other fattening things, I use my fat-free butter spray or sometimes even Butter Buds to give them flavor. I do the same for baked potatoes and I never use sour cream.

Thanks again for the replies!

Closed Thread