It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
(female)

elmosgirl167 HB User
Question difference between warm and cold water?

Has anybody else notice that when you hear that part of a healthy diet is drinking lots of icy cold water? I've heard stuff like if the water is colder it burns more calories when you excerise and stuff like that...anybody know...i hate drinking water...i know i have to so I want to do it right...is there a difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 12:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: difference between warm and cold water?

There are two different water theories here, and both are actually true.

1. Dietary Thermogenesis
The ‘thermogenic effect’ described as meal-induced heat production – the calories burned in the process of eating, digesting, absorbing and using food. When you consume ice cold water, your body burns additional calories in an effort to warm it. You can also increase metabolism by eating spicy foods. Its important to understand though, that dietary thermogenesis really only accounts for burning about 10% of the calories you consume. Drinking ice water may influence that percentage slightly, but not by much.

2. Liver detoxification
The more water you drink, the more you support your liver function which improves your metabolism greatly. The liver is the primary organ responsible for metabolizing fat, carbs, and protein... but it also is responsible for removing toxins from your system. When your toxicity level is high (most people today have high toxicity levels from preservatives and chemical additives in food, medications, and the environment) the liver reaches a point of exhaustion trying to do all this extra work and as a result, the metabolsim suffers. By dramatically increasing water intake, you help the liver and kidneys excrete toxins from your system, resulting in improved metabolism. In this case, reducing consumed toxins (preservatives and chemical additives in food like artificial sweeteners, diet sodapop, coffee, sodium nitrates, msg, etc) will also dramatically improve metabolism. The recommended amount of water to acheive liver detoxification is (body weight/2) in ounces (for example, if you weigh 150, drink 75 ounces of water per day). Here, the temperature of the water is irrelevent.

I believe that consuming water for the purpose of liver detoxification has a much greater impact on weight loss than dietary thermogenesis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

So, ice cold water and loads of it. Correct?

Old 07-29-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Loads of it, but be sure you're also getting salts (sodium and potassium) or you can become sick. Drinking excessive amounts of water and not replentishing salts can lead to water intoxification; not something the average person has to worry about, however. It's more an issue for athletes, especially long distance runners, although everyone should be cautious on those hot, humid summer days when you're outside working.

I read on another site where they explain how stuff works that replacing your 2 litres of 'room temperature' water with ice water burns an extra 68 calories. Every little bit helps, right?

Nat

Old 07-29-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

It won't make MUCH of a differrence.
Another look at the numbers:
Compare very cold water (say 38F), with tap water (say 68F). The difference is 30 degrees.
Raising a pound of water (a pint) one degree F is a BTU. So 30 BTU per pint to warm the water.
A BTU is .25kcal (or calorie) and a pint of the cold water will ise 7.5 calories more than the tap water.
At about 8 pounds per gallon, we're talking 60 calories (kcal)...close to what Nat said (which I just NOW saw! )

A MUCH faster way for water to absorb calories is to sit in it. THEN the body goes NUTS trying to keep it's core temperature at 98.6! Perhaps the greatest expenditure the body can provide is the act of shivering to keep temperature up.
(Maybe part of the reason you don't see too many fat swimmers!)

Last edited by zip2play; 07-29-2004 at 07:26 AM.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

My recommendation is that if drinking the water ice cold makes it too hard for you to drink enough, then drink it at room temperature, because the benefits of the increased quantity far outweigh the benefits of the cold temperature.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #7

Saint_Jo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
It won't make MUCH of a differrence.
Another look at the numbers:
Compare very cold water (say 38F), with tap water (say 68F). The difference is 30 degrees.
Raising a pound of water (a pint) one degree F is a BTU. So 30 BTU per pint to warm the water.
A BTU is .25kcal (or calorie) and a pint of the cold water will ise 7.5 calories more than the tap water.
At about 8 pounds per gallon, we're talking 60 calories (kcal)...close to what Nat said (which I just NOW saw! )

A MUCH faster way for water to absorb calories is to sit in it. THEN the body goes NUTS trying to keep it's core temperature at 98.6! Perhaps the greatest expenditure the body can provide is the act of shivering to keep temperature up.
Maybe we should all go and sit in a bath of icy water each day

Old 07-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #8
(female)

elmosgirl167 HB User

Whoo! go ice water!

Old 07-30-2004, 12:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play

I don't know where you swim but my pool has quite a few.

Closed Thread