It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 08:33 AM   #1

mindfunkie HB User
Question Yoga and its benefits

Hi, I'm interested in taking up yoga but i had a few questions. first off, i'm 24 and under a lot of stress, to the point where i'm phisically feeling the effects of stress in my body. i wanted to take up something that will ease the tension and get me into shape. so for those who are into yoga, has it put you more at ease? are you in better emotional and physical shape? is yoga sufficient enough on its own for me to see and feel results? sorry for all the questions, i just want to know what yoga is really about. any input would be great and thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #2

tah4349 HB User
Re: Yoga and its benefits

You've come to the right place. I'm training to become a yoga instructor right now, actually. I love yoga. When I started it, I couldn't even touch my toes. Now I'm very very flexible. It is a fantastic practice that really helps me relax. The tools you use in yoga classes (breathing, stretching, etc.) can translate well to life. Sometimes when I'm really anxious, I find myself using the breathing from yoga to calm myself.

I am in much better physical shape than I was when I started. Flexibility is one of those things where if you don't work on it constantly, you lose it. And once you've lost it, you become open to being injured more easily in everyday activities and exercise. As for yoga being enough on its own, I always try to discourage this idea. Yoga will help with flexibility, and it will help build muscles though isometric exercise. If you really get going, you can work up quite a sweat. But as much as I love yoga, I think it is part of a balanced routine that involves cardio and strenght training.

I really encourage you to give it a try. At first it may feel strange, and you'll be really sore afterwards, but if you stick with it, you'll start to see a major difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #3

mindfunkie HB User

thanks so much for your reply tah, it was quite helpful. the only reason i ask if yoga is enough on its own is because i'm usually always pressed for time, i leave for work early and i come back late. to be honest, motivation is a huge factor for me, i'm so drained by the end of the day that its a real effort for me to get up and do something. if i understand it correctly though, yoga should help me get over that hurdle, right? i also want something that will allow me to transition into comitting to take care of myself, start slowly and gain momentum. thanks again tah, i really appreciate the input.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Yoga has great benefits. A friend of mine . . . at the time he was 50 something . . . was told by his doctor that he HAD to start an aerobic exercise routine for his heart. Now my friend is quite bookish and not very active and he just was not going to sustain any kind of program. He did take up yoga, though, not thinking it was a replacement for exercise, but for spiritual/peace of mind kind of reasons. Well, guess what? Next time he went to the doctor for an exam, he said how happy he was that he had finally listened to his recommendation and started exercising . . . it really showed in his BP and heart beat. My friend didn't say anything; he was too surprised himself!

Closed Thread