It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
(male)

surfstrat HB User
Question about metabolism...

Do some people have naturally low metabolism and find it harder to lose weight? Or can anyone change their metabolism?

Old 09-14-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Question about metabolism...

Yes, some people are cursed with slower metabolism in general. However, they are on average only 10-15% slower.

And yes, you can raise your metabolism.

You can eat a more balanced diet; processed foods are the biggest culprit. Look for foods that are as close to nature as possible, for instance, an apple would be a better choice than an apple drink which would be better than apple pie. Brown rice is less processed than white rice. 100% whole wheat bread or pasta would be a better choice than white bread or pasta. You can eat more protein; protein will help your body repair damaged tissue and build new tissue, protein contains the building blocks that your body needs to make you healthy and fit. And don't forget fats; you need them to be healthy. Some are so important they are called Essential Fatty Acids.

You can eat more often. Strange but true, eating more frequent meals helps raise metabolism. The worst thing you can do from a metabolic stand point is eat only once or twice a day. Your body adapts to everything you do to it eventually and this type of eating teaches it to hoard fat and water since it doesn't know when it's going to get the next meal. By eating more frequent, smaller meals you provide it with the nutrients it needs all day long and it can safely burn fat. This works particularly well for women.

You can do exercise. Both cardio and weight lifting will raise metabolism. Cardio creates a deficit between what you eat and what you burn w/o slowing metabolism. Lifting weights help you keep and grow new muscle, which is metabolically active (it eats calories even when you're at rest and it's favourit food is body fat).

If your goal is to lose fat you can use a little trick that bodybuilders use called zigzagging your calories; you eat below your maintenance level (roughly 30% below, but no more than that) for 3 days and then on the fourth day you eat at or above your maintenance level. This stops your body from adpating to the lower level you've been giving it for three days and consequently slowing your metabolism.

Yes, it's harder for some of us, but it can be done
Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

yock HB User

Gopherhead,
I love the "zigzag" eating approach. I could do that. I'll have to try that. I could easily eat less a few days, then eat a normal day. That seems like that would almost screw your metabolism up. But this isn't the first time I've heard of this approach. I saw a post on the "thyroid" board from a girl who was a weight lifter who uses that approach also and she, of course, is in fabulous shape, or so she says. So I have a question for you. Your replies to me yesterday and on this post are so helpful, again I appreciate it. Now my question, you give great advice, are you in "great" shape??? Fess up.

thx.laura (yock)

Old 09-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Hey there Yock (laura), sorry I missed this post. So have you tried the zigzag yet?

Funny you should mention thyroid... I was just (finally officially) diagnosed as Hypo two weeks ago.

Am I in 'great' shape? At the present, I'd say "good shape". Great shape, however, is once again attainable, now that I am properly medicated and don't feel like one of the slug people

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 09-21-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Closed Thread