It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #1

jvg29 HB User
wieght loss/doctors opinion

I wanted to know if anyone has talked to a doctor about losing wieght,and if it helped. This is not something that I am really comfortable discussing with very many people. I don't want to go talk to someone and it not be of any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: wieght loss/doctors opinion

Well, I talked with my regular GP about losing weight (although I'm not overweight, I want to lose 10-15lbs, and I was/am having a lot of trouble doing so), and at first he suggested that I go on a soup and salad diet, which is a horrible idea because I want to know how I can lose the weight permanently, and I can't eat only soup and salad for the rest of my life! But as desperate as I was, I tried it for 2 weeks (5 days a week), and didn't lose anything. So I went back to him and asked if it might be a thyroid problem, and he ordered some blood tests. I took the tests, and I never got a call back from him regarding them (and he only calls the patient, if the tests were not normal). So I guess everything is okay there.
I think talking to a doctor would probably be the best place to start figuring out how to lose weight. I didn't have a great doctor, but a lot of people do, and depending on how much weight you have to lose, s/he might be able to prescribe you something to help. Don't worry about being embarassed or anything, to talk to a doctor about your problem because they hear about this on a very regular basis, and they are there to help you.
Good luck to you!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I would speak to my doctor about weight control right after I spoke to my cab driver and my plumber...oh, and my mailman.
All are equally versed in good nutrition.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #4

Tracyj130 HB User

I talked to my Dr. because I have been steadily gaining weight for the last few years (35lbs) considering I work out 5 days a week 50-60 mins of cardio and 20-30 mins of weight training 3-4 days a week. I eat pretty well. Low-fat, adn when I do have fat its from like Walnuts or light salad dressing. I don't eat fatty foods, I have pretty much elimiated junk food from my diet. If I am craving sweets after lunch I will have 1 or 2 caramel hard candies. Long story short last year my Dr tested me for a thyroid problem, which came back with no problems, as well as low-cholesterol. I went back to her a few weeks ago and she asked me about Birth control Pills, which I told her that I have been on them for about 13 years, but they started chaning my dosage and formulas to help me battle migraines. My Reg Dr thinks thats what the problem is, although I don't buy it, so she gave me a script for Xenical, which after all the research I have done is not worth the money. So I guess what I am saying is that it can't hurt to talk to your Dr. but just keep in mind they aren't always so helpful. You can always try Drs that specialize in weight.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:57 PM   #5

llamamuffinmama HB User

It's true that one can become a doctor and know virtually nothing AT ALL about nutrition and proper diet. Is there a registered dietitian or a nutritionist you could be referred to? They should be a lot more helpful, I'd think.

But don't be intimidated. It sounds like you want help and that is a great first step.

Closed Thread