It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
tsmith101

Fasting

I've lost a lot of weight by fasting, and in other countries
people often fast for religious reasons.

People have been known to fast for 2 weeks at a time because
they are commited to its result. They have reported profound
life changing events (positive) which resulted from their fasting.

Someone who is overweight may benefit in more than one way
if they are able to commit to fasting, but it will not be easy for
everyone.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
(female)

tallgirl HB User
Re: Fasting

what is fasting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Fasting is simply not eating. Some people go on juice fasts (only drinking juice), one day cleansing fasts, longer religious fasts, etc... In general, I do not think fasting is an effective weight loss tool. Most of what you lose is water and fasting does not "cleanse" your body as it claims to do.
Fasting for "2 weeks at a time because you are committed to its results" is verrrryyy dangerous, tsmith. And not to mention a waste of time!

Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Inactive

faciaperfection HB User

fasting is a good idea...it purifies the mind and body. that is why so many do it in foreign countries.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #5

Calamity04 HB User

There are different types of fasting though. Some just abstain from food and drinks from sun up to sun down. It varies with religions.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I agree that fasting can be great. The BEST reason to do it is religious/spiritual, IMHO. Medical reasons are also legitimate (I have GI track issues and benefit greatly from a day or two fast every now and then, as needed). Weight loss and/or a new outlook/relationship with food can be a wonderful side-benefit from some . . . but I don't think that ought to be the primary objective.

But, as always, never say never and never say every . . . if someone really feels guided to fast over a longer period, I wouldn't argue with them (unless they are doing it for the second time . . . or third or fourth).

Old 12-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

If you are interested in fasting, consider reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman's excellent book: "Fasting and Eating for Optimal Nutrition" (or something close to that). It is is real eye opener.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

adorable_missy HB User

I fasted for 1 week and 2 days...I lost 13 lbs. I was taking mutivitamins during this, & drinking lots of water. I also have not gained any of the weight back. If you are prone to eating disorders, or have had one at all, I HIGHLY, would NOT recommend fasting at all! I do recommend doing your homework before you do anything like this. If you fast for too long, you can do major damage to your body, and not realize until it's too late. Different things, work for different people, in different ways. Be careful, do your research, and God Bless.

Closed Thread