It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
(male)

j20k82 HB User
Help!!!i need to lose weight badly!!!

Hello all,
i am 22 years old weighing 310 lbs, not good!!! i need to lose weight!! could you please tell me what the easiest and fastest way of losing weight is? all i do is go to taco bell, mcdonalds, or culvers sometimes George Webbs also. I know i have to stop going out to eat. but i dont know how to give up that habbit. could you tell me how i can? also i drink alot of soda and some how i have to give that up too!! but i dont know how i am going to do that one either? i know i have to drink alot of water but how do i get in the mood to drink water instead of soda? I have alot of bad eating habbits. What kind of foods should i eat and what kind of foods shouldnt i eat? What kind of beverages can i drink and what kind of beverages cant i eat? Please let me know what the best darn diet is to go on and what kind of exercises i may do?

Thank you all,
Josh

Old 01-01-2005, 07:23 AM   #2

MuffyMuffinC HB User
Re: Help!!!i need to lose weight badly!!!

Hi, I've been on and off the raw-vegan diet for a while. It's where you eat only fruits and vegetables uncooked and unprocessed. I think it would be the best diet to lose weight the fastest. You can actually lose a pound a day. I used to be 145 and now I am 135, and I am very lazy and hardly ever exercised except in gym class. But sometimes I would do the Winsor Pilates tapes, because they are really easy and don't require that much effort. But if you stick to it religiously and go 100% you could be in the best shape of your life. When you first start it is really hard, you feel tired all of the time and weak, but after the first 2 weeks you begin to feel better and have alot of energy.

The best way to begin is to start juicing mainly. You should probably get a juicer and juice alot of vegetables, but you should probably not overdo it on the fruits since they have so much sugar. But if you feel really weak since your body is going on less calories, you should do fruit. At first it may taste bad, but after awhile you get used to it. Eat alot of fruits and vegetables. Try as much as possible to buy organic. You could find all organic fruits and vegetables at Whole Foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 08:28 AM   #3

twizzler3 HB User

welcome
have u considered ww?

Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #4

plantlover HB User

I think weight watchers would be the best thing for you. It will change your eating habits and if you stick with the points you have each day you will see results.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffyMuffinC
Hi, I've been on and off the raw-vegan diet for a while. It's where you eat only fruits and vegetables uncooked and unprocessed. I think it would be the best diet to lose weight the fastest. You can actually lose a pound a day. I used to be 145 and now I am 135, and I am very lazy and hardly ever exercised except in gym class. But sometimes I would do the Winsor Pilates tapes, because they are really easy and don't require that much effort. But if you stick to it religiously and go 100% you could be in the best shape of your life. When you first start it is really hard, you feel tired all of the time and weak, but after the first 2 weeks you begin to feel better and have alot of energy.

The best way to begin is to start juicing mainly. You should probably get a juicer and juice alot of vegetables, but you should probably not overdo it on the fruits since they have so much sugar. But if you feel really weak since your body is going on less calories, you should do fruit. At first it may taste bad, but after awhile you get used to it. Eat alot of fruits and vegetables. Try as much as possible to buy organic. You could find all organic fruits and vegetables at Whole Foods.
I'm sorry, but for somebody who was eating alot of junk to ONLY start eating fruits and vegetables is an EXTREME transition. She has to start off slow by eliminating all that junk she was eating at a slow pace. Plus, it's a VERY unhealthy diet that is related to losing muscle without the proper amount of protein which is essential for muscle, and muscle is essential for a good metabolism. Plus, if she stays on this diet, she'll gain it back once she's off the diet faster than a blink of an eye. I suggest weight watchers like someone else said, or a diet that is well balanced so one could make it a LIFELONG process. Sorry, but the negative calore diet or whatever is not a good idea!

Last edited by Jess75; 01-01-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
(male)

duane1 HB User

I used to eat a lot of junk food also, an addict you might say. Although I live 4 miles away from the fast food places I would plan a trip around going to them. sometimes three times a day! It was hard to stop the cravings, the need for it. I just made this post to
[url]www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=237702[/url]
about Phentermine here and what's working for me.

Here's what I said:

Re: Phentermine?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Donna,
I just joined to post this reply to your post. I have been overweight for the past 10 years. The weight just kept on building up. I just went on Ionamin another name for Phentermine over a month ago. I had heard that it helped a friend of mine lose weight 5 years ago and keep it off. I did a bunch of research on it and found that when combined with other drugs (a cocktail) it had been very successful in helping people lose weight but had caused some heart problems. Although it by itself had not been proven to cause any. There is also a risk of becoming dependant on it. I just found out after a ct scan that my back pain was caused by degrading discs and that I had to lose weight or I would suffer a lot more pain and other issues in the future. I figured that the gamble was worth it.
I could never get started on eating right and then when I did a temptation or craving would come along and I would say later to my losing weight idea. I had even tried XENICAL a few times it helped but I still had the cravings and then my digestive system paid for it later.
When I started Ionamin I almost immediately lost the carvings and the need to eat as much, I did get a bit more tired although I didn't sleep as well either. I did start losing weight. I have lost close to 20 pounds (I was 315lbs) and have stopped taking the ionamin a week ago and the cravings have not come back. It totally helped me through the holidays when I would have normally gained weight.
Now, I know, that I have had a big kick in the butt to lose weight, hearing about my back issue but I don't think I could have done this without the help of this medicine. I do not read many books, but I have read the book called The New Naturopathic Diet. I don't believe everything that it has to say but it has definitely helped me get a perspective on what foods I should avoid for now. The cool thing about this book is that it doesnít say that you have to avoid all these foods forever. I just says to lose weight avoid them now and then work them back into your diet. (The word diet should be more like lifestyle.) Then when to bring these foods back and in what order. The Author is Penny kendall-reed. I paid a lot less at a grocery store than the cover price butbut I would still pay the price as it has been worth it many times over. Best of all I am still losing weight and not on ionamin anymore.
This what worked for me!

Now, with my bad back I the only exercise I do is walking, not a lot but a bit everyday. Mostly a lifestyle change.

Good luck!

Last edited by duane1; 01-02-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
(female)

baia HB User

Yes, Weight Watchers is a good idea.

Re: your soda problem. If you are "addicted" to sodas, try this as an alternative. Buy a Soda Stream (Soda Fountain machine) which makes soda water from tap water. (The machines are available in supermarkets, where you also buy the gas refills.) Add Diet Cordial (to your taste) to the soda water. You will have the equivalent of a Soda, but without the calories.

Alternatively, swap your Sodas for Diet versions (eg. Diet Coke).

But try to drink more water - you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. One trick which worked for me is to pour a glass of water, then drink the whole glass. Sounds dumb, I know!! But actually, we often just take a few sips then pour out the rest of the glass in the sink. Set yourself the goal of drinking a full glass every time. You can gradually build up from 1 glass a day to 8 glasses a day. That is said to be the correct amount for most people.

I do recommend WW. It will really help you get motivated and stay on track. Good Luck!

Last edited by baia; 01-02-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

inlove247 HB User

Try Juice Plus for getting your daily supplement of fruits and vegitables. That helps trust me. Plus it's to better your health.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
(male)

j20k82 HB User

thank you everyone for responding to my ad. i think i am going to try the atkins diet and also i am going to try to drink a gallon of water a day. maybe 2 gallons it will most definetely flush my system out. and i heard that water makes you lose weight believe it or not. so i am going to try that. once again thank you guys for responding!!
Josh

Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #10

MuffyMuffinC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I'm sorry, but for somebody who was eating alot of junk to ONLY start eating fruits and vegetables is an EXTREME transition. She has to start off slow by eliminating all that junk she was eating at a slow pace. Plus, it's a VERY unhealthy diet that is related to losing muscle without the proper amount of protein which is essential for muscle, and muscle is essential for a good metabolism. Plus, if she stays on this diet, she'll gain it back once she's off the diet faster than a blink of an eye. I suggest weight watchers like someone else said, or a diet that is well balanced so one could make it a LIFELONG process. Sorry, but the negative calore diet or whatever is not a good idea!
I used to eat a lot of junk and it would be a better idea to transition slowly, but the sooner the better. It's not very unhealthy, most people don't lose muscle on the raw-vegan LIFESTYLE. Visit this website by Alissa Cohen, she is living proof that you can be a raw-vegan and still retain muscle (she is a body builder by the way). Fruits and vegetables contain lots of protein (where did the animals that you eat get it from?...vegetables!) When I was 100% raw-vegan, I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time, and then I went back to eating junk, junk, and more junk. But my weight didn't go back to where it began. My weight used to fluctuate between 145-150 and now it starts to fluctuate from 135-140 even though I'm eating a ton of junk.

When you have a heart attack, your doctor tells you to abstain from red meat. Why don't you just abstain from it now, so you could prevent that heart attack. Also, when your food is cooked, it loses most of its nutrients. It becomes DEAD food. It has little or no nutritional value. Isn't the point of eating to give our bodies the nutrition it needs to function? When you eat raw organic fruits and vegetables, you eat food full of vitality, with lots of nutrients packed inside.

But most of all this LIFESTYLE can give you lots of energy, but not at first. Your body will detox first and it may get symptoms that you make you feel sick (cold, fatigue, in extreme cases even a fever). But your body is ridding itself of toxins. But most importantly, afterwards you will be in the best shape and health in your life. Look at Carol Alt and Demi Moore, they are past their prime, but they look and feel like they are still 25.

The raw-vegan LIFESTYLE is not for everyone. Listen to your body and do what it tells you to do. I wish you the best of luck j20k82!

Old 01-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #11
(male)

sbdot HB User

Your not addicted to fast food, your addicted to convenience. I mean that
with respect. I was once that way too.

Fast food is not heroin, the physical withdraws are slight.

The psychological effect are more pronounced. You have to plan meals,
read labels, shop carefully, and learn to cook. This can take a great deal
of effort and time. Preparing your own meals will put you in control.

I found it was much more of an effort to carry an extra 130+ pounds on my
body than it was to learn to eat properly.

sbdot

Old 01-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #12

scaredincollege HB User

I feel that the best way to lose wieght is to eat healthy. If you have a tendency to crave sweet foods or junk food, do not deny yourself either. Instead of buying oversized servings of things eat individual servings...such as icecream...instead of buying a carton, buy the small ice cream cups. If you deny yourself these things you will only overdo it when you give in. Eat well balanced meals and limit going out to eat to once a day...then 4 times a week...then 2 times a week....once a week...once every two weeks....to only in emergencies. Also, instead of McDonalds, go to subway or a healthier Restaraunt...Don't wieght yourself everyday either...it gets discouraging.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #13

dreeeemer HB User

To the Original Poster:

I wouldn't recomend going on Atkins. WW is going to be a much better choice for you (if you can afford it) If you are a fast food junkie and enjoy tons of sodas, you are setting yourself up for failure by trying atkins.

Plus, the money you would spend on the "low carb" foods would be as much as the WW in the long run.

At your weight, I would bet money that you would loose a few pounds just by eliminating the sodas from your diet (drink diet, or the new C2 anything other than full sugar, high calorie soda). Start there and see how you feel. Then, as the previous poster said, eliminate one fast food meal at a time, untill you dont eat that anymore (you might not believe me- I wouldnt have a year ago- but once you cut that stuff out, you dont really crave it or even really like it, anymore).

Make the changes one step at a time.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #14
(female)

WhatstheSkinny HB User

Please look into weight watchers. It works, and it stays off.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
(female)

foxtrot oscar HB User

Hi,
There are alot of sensible people on this thread!!

I am from the UK and have tried all sorts of diets. I have done "fad" diets to loose the weight quickly, but it is true, if you loose it quickly then you will almost certainly put it back on and i would bet a bit more than you started with too.

My advice is go to a club or gym where there is a nutritionist. I used to go to Weight Watchers which is good but i now go to slimming world which is a heap better. It allows you to eat what you want but in a healthy way by teaching you all about food balance.

You need advice on the right food to eat and the right excercise to take. Any excercise is good when you are over weight but particularly cardio vascular excercise such as, walking jogging and he best is probably swimming. Sex is also a cardio vascular excercise........!!! You want to steer clear of muscle building activities and stick to fat burning.

I also suggest you take a good hard look at why you eat as muck rubbish as you do. Is it a comfort excercise or habitual maybe?? You should conqueor that and be in the right frame of mind before you even consider a healthy eating plan (btw DIET stands for Dare I Eat That!!).

My tip is diet coke. It is considered "free" or "no points" on nearly all eating plans and is much nicer than regular coke.

Best of luck!!
Anna

Last edited by foxtrot oscar; 01-18-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Closed Thread