It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Foods that help to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

I recently got my blood test results back, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was a bit high, and my triglyceride level was very high. The normal triglyceride level should be below 150, and mine was 215. I was told to go on a diet and to begin exercise to reduce these levels and that I will have another blood test in 6 weeks to check the levels.

My problem is this. I'm 23, female, very overweight, and I have no idea what the heck I should do as far as dieting to lower my cholesterol and trygliceride levels. Obviously if I'm overweight, I need to lower my fat intake and calories. But my problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea what foods are okay to eat, what aren't, what can help lower those levels, what raises them. I know that eating poultry instead of red meat is a plus. But should I eat pasta, potatos, rice, or should I stay away from them. Do I need to watch the saturated fat, total fat, or all thos mono, poly, etc. fats. HELP!

I've sworn off of fast food, pizza, burgers, fries, all that fatty stuff. I just don't know what to eat in place of that. I've stopped drinking soda, and have replaced that with Gatorade...although I don't know if that's an okay switch.

If anyone could give me some information on starting a healty diet plan, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Foods that help to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

hi.

i was in your situation a few years ago, at the age of 21. very overweight, high cholesterol (which had caused gallstones) and needing to make a change.

i went vegan (completely vegetarian - don't eat any animal products including meat, poultry, fish, eggs, or dairy). a plant based diet is a huge help for a few reasons- it tends to be lower in overall fat and saturated fat, plant foods have no cholesterol at all, and you get plenty of fiber in your diet which is very good for your heart health and your digestion. veganism helped me lose around 100 pounds in a year and a half, and my overall cholesterol went from almost 300 (danger zone) to 106!

there are a lot of great resources on vegan eating out there. if you're interested in learning more, check out Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine.

Good luck. You can do this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Also, you don't necessarily have to become a vegitarian either, although it would drastically reduce your measures. And it wouldn't be a bad idea, although that may be too drastic at first. Vegetarians do get all their nutrients from nuts, beans and plant foods although it may be difficult at FIRST for someone who ate meats. But, if you ate a lot of fried foods, chips, cakes and all that other junk, I would stop that first. Then, figure out your maintenence caloric intake on one of these "online calculators" and see how many calories you need to consume to maintain. I would try to cut out about 500 calories a day so you can start losing a pound of week safely so your not shocking your metabolism. Start going up and down the ailes of your supermarket and start reading lables, pretty much anything that is whole grained, fruits, yogurt, veggies, fruit, whole grain bread, beans, soy milk(good for lowering cholesterol), flaxseeds, crackers, brown rice, lean meats (if you decide not to become a vegetarian because the fried food and the overweight issue is probably the problem) low fat cottage cheese, nuts, tuna, low fat popcorn for a snack, and for when your craving something sweet....try frozen yogurt, or fat free pudding or something. This has to be a lifestyle transition, however, it's not like you can't EVER eat your favorite foods but after you get better, you can treat yourself once or twice a week. You'll FEEL SO MUCH better, and you'll look better. Also, I forgot to mention fatty fish like salmon and stuff is food for the heart and has healthy fats. Instead of grabbing chips, grab some carrots and low fat veggie dip, your taste buds will adjust. Good luck, and I hope you take control of your health cause it's so important!

Last edited by Jess75; 01-21-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
(female)

waterfairy HB User

llamamuffinmama and Jessicca,

Thank you both for your wonderful information and support. These boards are just amazing to have for support. You've both given me tons of useful ideas. Thank you so much!

llamamuffinmama, I commend you for your willpower to become a vegan and stick with it. And congrats on losing your weight and lowering your cholesterol! While I doubt I'd be able to become completely vegan, I definately see some helpful and benefitial elements that I could use from the vegan diet to aid me in my quest for a healthier me. My problem with becoming vegan, or completely vegitarian for that matter, is that I am allergic to soy (we're talking major migraines). So this eliminates soy milk, tofu, and all of those healthier choices. But the veggies and fruits I can definately do!

Jessicca, you've given me tons of options and ideas to help me in my diet plan. You mentioned a lot of great foods that I can definately give a try. Definately for me, giving up the fast food, fried food, chips, cookies, etc. will definately help. My biggest problem about one of the most wonderful diet foods you mentioned is this, I cannot stand fish. I've not found any sort of fish that isn't too overwhelmingly fishy and strong. But there must be some sort of fish out there that I could cook up with some wonderful flavoring to make it edible for someone who hates fish! I just don't know what that is. I love seafood like shellfish stuff; lobster, clams, musscles, crab legs, but haven't a clue if they're an okay food when on a diet. Obviously the butter on the side is a no-no, but the shellfish itself I don't know about.

Thank you both so very much for your help! You've given me a great start up on what I need!

Waterfairy

Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfairy
llamamuffinmama and Jessicca,

Thank you both for your wonderful information and support. These boards are just amazing to have for support. You've both given me tons of useful ideas. Thank you so much!

llamamuffinmama, I commend you for your willpower to become a vegan and stick with it. And congrats on losing your weight and lowering your cholesterol! While I doubt I'd be able to become completely vegan, I definately see some helpful and benefitial elements that I could use from the vegan diet to aid me in my quest for a healthier me. My problem with becoming vegan, or completely vegitarian for that matter, is that I am allergic to soy (we're talking major migraines). So this eliminates soy milk, tofu, and all of those healthier choices. But the veggies and fruits I can definately do!

Jessicca, you've given me tons of options and ideas to help me in my diet plan. You mentioned a lot of great foods that I can definately give a try. Definately for me, giving up the fast food, fried food, chips, cookies, etc. will definately help. My biggest problem about one of the most wonderful diet foods you mentioned is this, I cannot stand fish. I've not found any sort of fish that isn't too overwhelmingly fishy and strong. But there must be some sort of fish out there that I could cook up with some wonderful flavoring to make it edible for someone who hates fish! I just don't know what that is. I love seafood like shellfish stuff; lobster, clams, musscles, crab legs, but haven't a clue if they're an okay food when on a diet. Obviously the butter on the side is a no-no, but the shellfish itself I don't know about.

Thank you both so very much for your help! You've given me a great start up on what I need!

Waterfairy
Your so welcome. You can buy distilled fish oil at your local health food store and flaxseeds (grinded up) are a great way to get your omega 3's. It's great for the skin, metabolism, brain, and the heart.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

FISH, FISH and MORE FISH!

Replace your cooking oil with canola, throw out any margerine except those specifically labelled NO TRANS FATS. Never use anything with the word hydrogenated.

Oh and did I mention FISH?

Old 01-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

I agree with the fish. Eat more of it if you can. And try fish oil. I cut my trigs in half by taking fish oil 3 times a day.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #8

llamamuffinmama HB User

and even if you don't like fish, you can get the essential fatty acids (omega 3, etc) from other foods, too. like flax oil/ ground flax seeds(linseeds) as jessica mentioned, walnuts/walnut oil, Mustard seeds, Pumpkin seeds, soy beans, canola oil are good sources of omega 3. Oils made from Safflower, Sunflower, Corn, Soy, and Evening primrose, plus pumpkin and Wheatgerm are good sources of Omega 6.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, lamuffin is right, I always get the 3's and 6's mixed up, LOL. And, stay away from TRANS FATS. Check lables for "partially hydrogenated oils" or "hydorgenated" which those terms indicate trans fats which mimick the effect of candle wax in the arteries.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
(female)

waterfairy HB User

Thank you all SO much for your help and input. I'm starting to finally think I can do this. I have said many times before that I needed to go on a diet, but having my doctor tell me that it's crutial if I want to live a healthy, LONG life, it sort of pushes you a bit more.

I've been to the bookstore and bought a bunch of books on low fat, low cholesteral cooking. After reading through them, one thing I'm very confused on is that they suggest eating breads, pasta, bagels, etc. I thought that eating bread isn't so healthy when on a diet, as well as pasta. I'm not a condiment person, so I usually eat bread without butter, so that's not the problem. Bread, pasta, etc....are they alright to eat in moderation?

I'm definately going to stear clear of all of those trans fats that you've mentioned. I never realized before now, but 99% of what I'd been eating has those words like "hydrogenated."! NOT good.

I'm going to try and find some fish recipes that can work for me; the one who HATES fish. I know it's important to eat fish because of the Omega 3. But what exactly can you do with flaxseed? I haven't a clue how to cook with that, what to put it in, or how to eat it! Argh!

Again, I thank you all so much! You've been a great help and support!

Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
(female)

waterfairy HB User

Does anyone know of something that I could substitute soda with? I'm not able to drink any diet sodas (artificial sweetner gives me a headache), and I would like to try and stay away from sugar as much as possible. Because of that, juices aren't a great alternative, nor are sports drinks. Obviously water is a wonderful thing, but when I'm craving something with flavor, I haven't a clue! Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #12

llamamuffinmama HB User

flavored sparkling water. canada dry has it in raspberry, cranberry-lime, mandarin orange, cherry, lemon, and other flavors. it's not real sweet, but has a fizz kick and a nice, light flavor.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
(female)

waterfairy HB User

muffinmama,

I'm definately going to try and look for that Canada Dry sparkling water. I haven't been seeing it anywhere, but maybe I'll have to try a different grocery store than what I've been going to! I've found some natural sparkling fruit juice at Target which is really tasty, although has quite a bit of sugar. But I guess as long as it's in moderation, and not drinking 4 bottles a day, I should be alright. I'm so bummed that fruit juice, even 100% natural, has a lot of sugar. I am definately drinking more water, but I can't just drink something all day long w/o any flavor.

Thanks again for all of your support, as well as everyone else who's helped me!

Closed Thread