It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

AshlynMae HB User
Xanthan Gum is Working to Make Me Feel Full

Hi,

My biggest battle in weight loss is feeling so hungry. I know the right foods to eat, but my "hunger-demon" de-rails me all the time I have recently started taking one LEVEL teaspoon of Xanthan Gum, bought in an 8oz package from the health section of my grocery store, mixed in with 24 oz. of water, to help me feel full 30 min before each meal. It is really working! Is anyone else trying this with good results?

Old 01-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
(male)

DMN HB User
Re: Xanthan Gum is Working to Make Me Feel Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlynMae
Hi,

I have recently started taking one LEVEL teaspoon of Xanthan Gum, bought in an 8oz package from the health section of my grocery store, mixed in with 24 oz. of water, to help me feel full 30 min before each meal. It is really working! Is anyone else trying this with good results?
Yup! But, I am doing it a little different. I mix 3/4 teaspoon with my protein shake three times per day. It really thickens it up without raising the coloric level.

It's a great product. You can use it to thicken a lot of stuff without changing the nutient content of the food. By thikening, it adds more bulk to it, which make it feel like you have eaten more than you really have.

Anyone have any other ideas about what they can use it in to thicken?

--
John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

AshlynMae HB User

Thanks for your reply, that is a good idea to add it to a protien drink.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

Cherimee HB User
Talking Re: Xanthan Gum is Working to Make Me Feel Full

Thanks for the tip guys! I was almost in tears trying to find a true appetite suppressant. I have no problem working out and trying to eat right but when I get hungry, all bets are off. I going to try your methods!! Wish me luck.... do you know any other methods or supplements that work?

Old 02-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #5

computris2 HB User

I have had Xanthan Gum in my frig for cooking something a while back and didn't know what to do with the rest. Wow what a great idea!! Does it have a bad taste or anything? How about going to the bathroom, #2? I have been in tears looking for something myself....anything to take the hunger down a notch.
How did you hear about this?

Old 03-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
(female)

Denisse HB User
Lightbulb Capsules

I've made my own capsules since I get grossed out by the texture when I'm drinking thick stuff. I just bought some empty gelatin capsules at my local health food shoppe (they were only 3 cents each) and filled them. I read somewhere that you have to take a few capsules about a half an hour before eating, and then you'll feel full and won't eat as much.

HOWEVER, I haven't taken them because I'm a big chicken and I don't know if there are any side effects or damage done in the long run. Has anyone done this for a while? Does it work? I've heart Zetacap is basically the same thing, since XG is their main ingredient.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

psyllium husks...

over the past two years i have honestly tried every diet plan out there...with limited success and i must say that adding psyllium to my diet is the best move i have ever made. i wish i would have discovered it earlier!

i buy it at the bulk food store...it has approx. 10 calories/ tablespoon and 7 grams of fibre. it totally fills me up. i dont even think about food anymore, whereas before i was absolutely tortured with thoughts about skor bites, reese's bites, anything.... now, whenever i do eat something, the smallest amount will make me totally satisfied.
it apparently has alot of other health benefits- lowers cholesterol, etc...
i highly recommend it.

i have been taking trimspa as well. i cant say that it has been as effective as the psyllium, but maybe its the combination...??

anyways, if you do try it, remember to drink tons of water!

Old 03-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

i forgot to mention...i usually just drink it in the morning, sweetened with some splenda...i did nuke it in the microwave today and added some cinnamon and splenda..it was quasi oatmeal-esque in a borderline gummy and disgusting way...

the grossness is so worth it!!

Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
(female)

tmg322 HB User
Angry Re: Xanthan Gum is Working to Make Me Feel Full

I recently came across this site and heard about xanthan gum, and I am trying to find a store to buy it at, and can't find any. Can someone please tell me where you are getting it?

Old 05-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
(female)

BethyGirlie HB User

Hmm, I've seen it in a list of ingredients in certain things, but I never knew they sold it by itself. I'll have to give it a go. Have you ever heard of anyone putting it in a smoothie? Is it unflavored?

Old 05-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethyGirlie
Hmm, I've seen it in a list of ingredients in certain things, but I never knew they sold it by itself. I'll have to give it a go. Have you ever heard of anyone putting it in a smoothie? Is it unflavored?
I put it in my protein shake in the morning. It really thickens it up. In fact, if I put enough in, it gets so thick I can just take the shake and it fills me up for a couple of hours.

You can get it at most health food stores. I have NEVER seen it in a supermarket though.

--
John

Closed Thread