It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

jkoz HB User
Would water help?

Hi All,

I am trying to lose 50 pounds. I have cut back on my eating, and no junk food (at least not much ). I bought myself an eliptical for Christmas and I have been using it 30-60 minutes per day, 5-6 days a week. So far, I have lost a 1/2 pound. I am getting really discouraged. Yes, I know muscle weighs more then fat, but I have a lot of fat to lose. I know that I have not added much muscle because all of the fat is still jiggling. It is really hard to stay motivated when the scale is not moving at all. My clothes are not looser either. I just don't get it. What is the point of exercising and watching what I eat when it doesn't do any good.

I recently saw two ladies on one of the national morning shows (CBS?) that wrote a book about diets. They said that drinking water does not help a person lose weight. I personally HATE water. I can go weeks without having a single glass of water. In your opinions, would drinking water help me get some of the weight off? I would force myslef to drink the water if it would help. Let me know if you have any suggestions or opinions.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
Re: Would water help?

hey!

i hate water 2! i can live without it...(well physically no, but in my mind i like to think i can), lol. neways, dont beleive it. water may wash out ur system but it cant all of a sudden make u lose weight. impossible! what it does, is makes u feel fuller so maybe u dont eat as much. but i dunno. it could be true, but i sure as heck dont beleive it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #3

ocurt HB User

yes, i believe the same way as sammy.... i say this, try drinking water, if it doesnt help u lose weight, then don't drink that much... u obviously need at least SOME water to live.. lol... i dont drink that much and dont have a problem losing weight... so yeah, i guess try it out, and if it doesnt work then do w/e u want! lol!

Old 01-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
(female)

jmkuhn HB User

Water won't make you lose weight, but yes it does assist you in losing weight. When I first started dieting 4-5 years ago(was 309lbs got down to 167ishlbs, back up to 279lbs, what a bummer eh?)I drank a gallon of water a day and kept eating what i ate and i noticed a drop in weight in a month, so i started the watch your food intake thingy and still drinking water, and it melted off, in 6 months I looked like a new girl, 40 lbs lighter. It clears the bad stuff out of ur body, and keeps you hydrated, and a bunch of other things. Ive read a few diet books and found a few of them to be unreal, aka atkins(not to verbally bash anyones way of dieting) but i think eating fat to lose fat is a rather unpleasent idea. But anywho, if u dont like drinking water, try flavored water, or that instant diet tea, where u stir in a spoon of already sweetened powder.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #5

Z'sMom HB User

In order to lose weight, you need to have a balance between cardio activities and caloric intake. Cutting out snacks full of salt, fat and mindless carbs is a good step. Reducing your portions MAY be a good step --- but how many calories are you eating? How many servings of veggies/fruits/whole grains? How much fat are you taking in on an average daily basis?

Try tracking your intake for a few weeks. Use a site like ****** that will compute your intake and show you how much fat, how many carbs, etc. If you drop too far below 1,200 calories, your body will start storing the food you eat as fat. If you eat far more than that, you are unlikely to lose weight.

Second, an elic. trainer is a LOT of cardio at once. Did you know that if you train at too high a heart rate you actually hit an anabolic state where you do not burn fat? If you can, invest in a good heart/exercise monitor. Learn what the ideal range is for you to lose weight (based on age, weight, etc.) from the instructions. It is very likely that you would benefit more from light weight work, well-paced walking and a reduced amount of time on the trainer until you are in better shape.

As for water, yes it does help you to feel full and does help with weight loss from that perspective. As you work out, you need to consume at least 24 fl. oz per hour to keep hydrated and keep your muscles in good health.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran

Angelene HB User

AHHH! Yes you need water to lose weight!! Oh my goodness, I can't believe that no one has said this yet! Water plays a crucial role in weight loss, especially if you are exercising the way that you say you are. If you go for a week or more with out water, you're basically dehydrating yourself and that's why you're not losing any weight. Your body is holding onto water that it's storing, thinking that you're stranded somewhere that you can't get water, so that you don't keel over and die. This isn't good!

Once you start drinking water, your body realizes, hey, I'm getting an adequate supply here, I can start running my systems again, and boom -- you find you have to start running to the bathroom every ten minutes. A inconvenience, yes, and it may seem silly b/c everything you put in you seems to leak out just as fast. But in reality you're losing more than what you're drinking. All that fluid was stored in your muscles, in your hips, your ankles, and around your belly and now it can all flush out. When people say, "oh the first 5 lbs is only water weight" well, that may be true, but that's a pretty big deal. It's such an important thing to detoxify and cleanse your body, as well as keep it running smoothly and efficiently.

Your body is only able to function properly when it is supplied with water. Most importantly for the metabolism of fat. Your liver is what converts fat to energy. That's one of it's main jobs. One other job is to pick up the slack for your kidneys, which need water to do their job. If your kidneys are water deprived, then your liver can't metabolize fat as quickly or efficiently as it could when your kidneys were pulling their own weight! You're setting yourself up to store fat!

Please, do yourself the greatest good you possibly can, and drink water. 6-8 glasses a day is good enough for the start, until your body is flushed and you can handle the increase with relative ease. Then slowly increase your water intake. It's vital for every single process that goes on in your body!

Closed Thread