It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

gschwendt HB User
Few Questions from a Newbie

I just have three fairly simple questions regarding my diet and my intent to lose about 20-25lbs. First Ill start off with my stats. Im 25, Im 6' 210lbs. I workout 2-3 times a week, always involves pecs, and arms and usually includes 10-20 minutes on an exercise bike at a brisk pace. Now onto my questions.

1.) As stated, Im looking to lose a small amount of weight. Right now my diet is quite sad, typically fast food for lunch and 2-3 times a week for dinner. My new gameplan is to simply only eat one large meal per day. Essentially keep my fast food diet, because its something I can stick to. Since portions are more than large enough, just simply eat the one meal and small snacks throughout the rest of the day/evening. My question is how much damage will this do to me in the near and longterm future.

2.) Do Diet Sodas have any ill effects. Again, my diet is poor, but I do drink several (3-4) sodas per day. About 3 months ago I went strictly to Diet Sodas; Diet Mt Dew Code Red, Diet Chery Coke, Diet Rootbeer, Diet Dr. Pepper, all lacking the typical diet aftertaste. Again, would drinking these, especially considering the amount, have any ill-effects on me.

3.) My final question is regarding my workout. As stated, I workout 2-3 times a week, mostly weight training. Originally I started my workout doing 100 reps chest press broken down into 3 sets of 10 100 lb reps (30) and 3 more sets of 23 at 80, 70, and 60lbs.
My new gameplan is to actually do more reps at a much lower weight. I am wondering if a routine of 5 sets of 50 at 50lbs might not be better suited. My desired result are long/lean muscles rather than large bulk. Ive never worked with a trainer so I dont have any true given knowledge, just from my own personal research and "word-of-mouth" information.

I hope I didnt step too much across the line of being an annoying newbie. Im sure 90% of new people ask one question and then go away but just wonderng if the knowledgable people out there cant give me a bit of assistance.

Last edited by gschwendt; 03-29-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
(male)

mobilesprout HB User
Re: Few Questions from a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwendt
1.) As stated, Im looking to lose a small amount of weight. Right now my diet is quite sad, typically fast food for lunch and 2-3 times a week for dinner. My new gameplan is to simply only eat one large meal per day. Essentially keep my fast food diet, because its something I can stick to. Since portions are more than large enough, just simply eat the one meal and small snacks throughout the rest of the day/evening. My question is how much damage will this do to me in the near and longterm future.
Fast food = fat. Fast food is probably the second worst thing you can ingest if you're looking to lose weight. The first being pop (or soda, for those of you outside of Minnesota/Canada). Fast food is fatty, full of cholesterol, and just plain bad for you. Not that I'm judging, as just talking about it makes me want to run down to Mickey D's.

I've been off of fast food for almost a year now, and it's done wonders.

The first thing you NEED to do in order to prep your body for weight loss is eat breakfast. Breakfast is, seriously, the most important meal of the day. It will get your metabolism running. Eat something small, if you must, but you must eat something. It gets the stomach running first thing in the morning.

If you're able to maintain your weight with fast food, I suggest, for a couple of months, restricting your fast food diet. You'll be able to burn off the weight and go back to your old routine when you're happy.

Quote:
2.) Do Diet Sodas have any ill effects. Again, my diet is poor, but I do drink several (3-4) sodas per day. About 3 months ago I went strictly to Diet Sodas; Diet Mt Dew Code Red, Diet Chery Coke, Diet Rootbeer, Diet Dr. Pepper, all lacking the typical diet aftertaste. Again, would drinking these, especially considering the amount, have any ill-effects on me.
Yes, even diet pop is bad for you. It can turn into formaldehyde when heated up. It does a number on your brain, as well. Nothing lethal, but if you want to remain at top mental condition, you'll need to drop it.

I suggest getting used to juices. I love juice. I used to drink a lot of pop (I love Pepsi), but when I needed to lose a lot of weight, I dropped the pop and never looked back. I don't even need it, at all, anymore, and I love my new diet.

Quote:
3.) My final question is regarding my workout. As stated, I workout 2-3 times a week, mostly weight training. Originally I started my workout doing 100 reps chest press broken down into 3 sets of 10 100 lb reps (30) and 3 more sets of 23 at 80, 70, and 60lbs.
My new gameplan is to actually do more reps at a much lower weight. I am wondering if a routine of 5 sets of 50 at 50lbs might not be better suited. My desired result are long/lean muscles rather than large bulk. Ive never worked with a trainer so I dont have any true given knowledge, just from my own personal research and "word-of-mouth" information.

I hope I didnt step too much across the line of being an annoying newbie. Im sure 90% of new people ask one question and then go away but just wonderng if the knowledgable people out there cant give me a bit of assistance.
Bingo. Lower weights means you'll be working the muscle versus building it. Go for longer periods of time with lower weight, and you'll tone instead of destroy (and rebuild).

Good luck with everything. Just take 'er easy, set your mind up for the long run, and go with it.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #3

bdtx82 HB User

If you must eat fast food for lunch, I'd say make it your largest meal, but make it healthy. Get a grilled chicken sandwich (or even just the grilled chicken w/ no bun), don't use mayo, etc. If you need fries, get a small. Diet soda is way better than regulat, but I've heard that your body reacts to nutrisweet in the same way that it does to sugar (basically produces insulin, affects your blood sugar). Also it can cause you to crave other sweets.
I would suggest eating small meals several times a day in addition to a healthy fast food meal (ie. protein shake for breakfast, some yogurt at mid day, a moderate fast food lunch, some fruit for a snack and then some grilled chicken and salad for dinner.) That way, you're eating all day and never really hungry or thinking about food. Also you'll be less likely to binge on your fast food meal if you aren't super hungry when you order!
Juices are healthier, but very caloric! It's so much better to eat an orange than a glass of OJ...still lots of vitamins, but more filling and less calories. We don't really see beverages as calories so people often end up taking in more than they realize because of sugary drinks. You could mix it with seltzer so that it has less calories, but tastes really good to me!
These are just my own tips on dieting...not sure how sound they are, but they have worked for me in the past

Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #4

Annee HB User

Hi gschwendt
I think the best thing about your diet is that you're sticking with what is familiar. I don't think diets succeed when people try to change too much. But I am concerned that a lot of fast food is so lacking in nutrition that you're not likely to feel satisfied. You may have problems with hunger, which is a diet killer. Have you considered switching from fast food to frozen food? If you have access to a microwave, it can be a godsend. But, if that's not an option, I'd agree with Bdtx82 and suggest you learn to love the grilled chicken.

Closed Thread