It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

kmfdmchic HB User
Prom/ fat gene

My family (on both sides) have a strong fat gene and I'm 17 and want to be skinnier than I am. I'm almost 5 ft. and weigh 160 pds, i want to weigh about 130....what can i do that will help me lose at least 20 of that 30 before Prom in 2 months.....please help!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #2

Annee HB User
Re: Prom/ fat gene

Losing 20 pounds in two months is very difficult.

You'll have to exercize every day. I suggest 20 minutes of aerobics, daily. And you should also work on building muscle (does wonders for your metabolism!). Alternate working on your upper half one day (push-ups, weight lifting), and your lower half (crunches, lunges) the next. It usually takes about two days for a muscle to heal after you've worked it, that's why I suggest alternating days.

Then, try to cut your calories to about 1300 per day. That's not a lot, so make sure that it's all nutritious! Go for 1/3 protein (meat, nuts, cheese), 1/3 whole grains (wheat bread, brown rice), and 1/3 veges and fruit. Try to spread your food throughout the day to keep from getting hungry, tired and unable to concentrate. And drink lots of water!!

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
(male)

mobilesprout HB User

It's going to be very tough for you to lose that much weight in two months, but it is possible. I do not recommend any drastic cuts in calories, as you're still growing, but you can make some changes to lower bad/excess intake.

1. Drop the pop (or soda, if you must say it that way). Pop is the single worst thing you can intake, in my opinion, if you're looking to lose weight. It's nothing but empty calories with no benefit whatsoever. Juices may have calories and sugar, but at least they have vitamins and antioxidants, something your body can make use of.

2. Say 'no' to fast food. I've been off of fast food for almost a year now. Even thinking about it, I'd still like to make tyhe occassional trip to Burger King, but you know, I can't. I'm still trying to lose weight, and one of the worst things I can do is eat fast food.

3. Wave goodbye to junk food. I love Doritos. With a passion. But, I've not had any in half a year.

4. Stop snacking.

5. Don't eat late. This is another biggie. Eating late is disasterous to your weight.

6. Drink lots of water.

7. Exercise every day. Get 20-30 minutes of cardio exercise every day if possible. Jumping jacks, walking/running, and just using the stairs are great ways to get the heartrate up and fat burning. Running is a fantastic way to burn off the weight and slim up. If you're not used to it, start with telephone poles. Walk two poles, run one. Keep doing that until you can't take it anymore. In a couple weeks, walk one pole, run one. In a couple weeks, walk one, run two. And after a couple more weeks, run as long as you can without a break. It'll really work at slimming you up.

While I know that a lot of these are very hard to pull off, I can almost promise it'll work. It worked for me. I've lost 108 lbs using this method since last May. That's about 10 pounds a month, and I've had lapses here and there. If I really work at it, I can take off 15 in a month fairly efficiantly. Stick your mind to it, dedicate yourself, and you'll be 20 pounds lighter for prom and people WILL notice.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
(female)

magical_uk HB User

Hi honey.

I too am losing weight for my university prom. My highschool prom wasn't a prom as such. It was that formal one girl turned up in jeans!!!

What i really wanted to say though is without expensive gene testing how do you know there is a fat gene in your family? Such gene's are quite rare. What makes you what you are is what you eat and how much excercise you do.

If you have danger foods which for me are chocolate and biscuits i would totally cut them out. It is harder to ration them out than it is to totally resist them, believe me! I also have a large appetite sometimes. A good thing for this is fat free fruit yogurts or nought point soup which i took from the weight watchers plan. Basically you make a basic vegetable soup by simmering together vegetables like potatoes, leeks, carrots and onions, and add a vegetable stock cube. Season to taste.

This makes a really tasty soup and as its just veg you can eat all you want but if you want to make it more of a main meal add some chicken or fish if you prefer.

Whatever you do sweetie, don't make yourself unattainable goals because you will only have yourself to dissapoint if somehow you don't attain your target weight. Stay healthy, eat and excercise sensibly and most of all work that body girl!!! YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!!!

Becky xxx

Closed Thread