It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

Audrey65 HB User
I feel like I've tried everything??

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I came across this board where I can discuss so many different health issues in one place. Right now I was hoping I could ask for someone's advice on losing weight. Over the past five years or so, I feel like I've tried absolutely everything, and I just keep gaining weight instead of losing. The past year has been particularly bad, as I've gained over fifteen pounds in twelve months. I've tried so many different diets, have worked very hard to exercise regularly, but I keep falling off the diet track. I have the world's worst sweet tooth, and I have problems keeping it under control while I'm sticking to a particular diet. As the years go on, sweets have become my greatest comfort food and anytime I'm feeling stressed, I find myself reaching for them.

Also, for those who are currently losing weight or have lost weight in the past, what has been the continued motivation for you? After the past five years, I'm starting to feel hopeless like nothing will ever work for me. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #2

Annee HB User
Re: I feel like I've tried everything??

I know what you mean about a sweet tooth. Every now and then, I have to have something delicious, so I just call it lunch, and don't eat again until dinner. It's not the most nutritious way to eat, but it doesn't happen often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Yep, I have fallen off that wagon many times. I have lost 20 pounds since January and feel great. These boards help me to avoid the fridge when I want to binge. I go to the gym regulary but I often get bored so I also signed up to take a hip/hop dance class once a week. It is a great workout and is different. Plus, I get a break from the gym.
I would say you need to keep trying new exercises so you don't get bored. Seek help or support when all you want to do is eat.
I also read fitness magazines and keep pictures of skinny people on my computer at work so I can remember my goal. (Although I know I will never be THAT skinny!)
It is mostly in your head. You have to see yourself thin and take it from there. I know many times I have failed in the past b/c I stopped seeing my goal. I have gotten really good at changing my eating habits. People will ask me, "are you on a diet?" and I say to them, "no, this is just how I eat now...."
Also, find a friend to lose weight and work out with. My mother and I got together and joined our local gym. It has paid off for both of us.
Good luck!

Last edited by KeltoKel; 03-30-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I think what you have to do is allow yourself that treat once in a while. Then like the other poster said, cut out something else. Maybe if you have a candy bar then don't have a starch with dinner. This is something you can allow yourself once or twice a week. It makes the whole process of losing weight to hard if you say to yourself you never again can have a sweet. You have to look at the changes you make as a new lifedstyle and not a quick fix until you lose the weight then go back to old eating habits. By making a lifestyle change its only normal that in your new lifestyle you will have a treat now and then. Maybe allow it 1 day on the weekend and 1 day during the week for a treat then cut the calories elsewhere in the day. Plan it out. Also do not keep the treats in your house, set yourself up for a no fail environment (to preach Dr. Phil). If its not there you can't eat it. Have other alternatives ready when the craving comes like fruit, a sugarfree ice pop (only 15 cals), sugar free gum, these are things that helped me. Good luck, I know its hard, if it was easy we'd all have met our goals already and this board wouldn't exist.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

Audrey65 HB User

Thank you all for your replies, your words really helped! One of my biggest problems right now is that I still live with my parents, and my dad is even worse than me about treats... my mom and I are pretty good about avoiding them at the grocery store, but my dad will always go out and buy a few bags of chips or a box of donuts! I've told him countless times that we don't really need those things, but still they show up at our house. I liked what you said, KeltoKel, about it all being in my head... you're completely right, it really is all a mental thing.

When I was younger, I was stick thin, and I ate like a horse. Sigh, if only that darn metabolism hadn't slowed down!

Closed Thread