It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

dpman HB User
Help! I want to lose 25 pounds in the next 7 weeks

Hello Everyone,

I have a goal to lose 25 pounds in the next 7 weeks, which is when I go on my cruise. I'm currently 6'3 273 pounds. The seems to be a lot of great info flowing through this board. What is the best combo of diet and exercise to meet this goal? A custom plan would be great!!

Thanks!!

Old 04-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
(male)

tidus 007 HB User
Re: Help! I want to lose 25 pounds in the next 7 weeks

its not gonna happen unless you eat like a salad and water for each day. realistically aim for 10 pounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I don't think you need to eat salad and water just to lose weight, but you do have to change your eating habits (if they are really bad). You need to eat a balanced meal. This is what I'm eating, but I'm 5'5" 135lb female.

Breakfast: 2-3 egg whites, waffle or cereal and strawberries
Snack: Yogurt and a granola bar
Lunch: tuna on whole wheat, handful of pretzels & water
Snack: Apple, pear or some kind of fruit
Dinner: Chicken, salmon or some kind of fish, brown rice, side salad and water

No alcohol, no soda and start walking or running. Do you belong to a gym? If not, there are plenty of things you can do at home. Let me know if I need to be more specific and I can share more.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #4

JanetinHouston HB User

Thats alot of weight to lose in a short time. Depending on how much overweight you are right now, it could be possible.

The Medifast plan is a plan where you can take it off very quickly. I did it like 16-17 years ago and all you do is drink 5 shakes a day. There was no food involved but I've seen websites that advertise food now, so I don't know if they've incorporated that into their plan.

Oprah, around the time that I did Medifast, she did OPtifast, which is a similar program, and she lost alot of weight, but didn't keep it off.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

dpman,
You DON'T want to try a starvation level diet like that; you'll regret it for YEARS afterward and probably wind up weighing more than you do now, probably by the time the boat docks.

Anything more than 2 pounds a week is unhealthy.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 AM   #6

Annee HB User

When I do the math, you need to lose 1,785 calories per day. (25 pounds x 3500 calories per pound / 49 days)

So, if you were to do 20 minutes of aerobics 3 times per day (1 minute of aerobics burns about 10 calories), while only eating about 800 calories per day, you could do it... if you don't end up in a hospital!

Frankly, I think trying to lose 25 pounds in 7 weeks is a really bad idea. Go for 10-14 pounds, and buy slimming clothes instead!

Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #7
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

A friend of mine just told me about the cardiac unit diet and you lose up to ten pounds a week only dieting 3 days a week. To find the diet I just did a search ( birmingham cardiac unit diet) and several links came up.
Good Luck to you, and wish me luck I'm going to try this diet starting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. ~~~DEBBIE~~~

Old 04-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Yes, if you do a search for diet reviews, you'll find many reviews that say this......

3 Day Diet
The idea behind the 3 day diet is very simple. You have a set meal plan where you consume 3 meals a day for 3 straight days.

The idea is to eat these low calorie foods in hope of losing weight. The 3 Day Diet makes an outrageous claim that you will lose 10 pounds in 3 days if done correctly! No offense, but I shouldn't have to tell you that this diet doesn't work. It's physically impossible to lose 10 pounds in 3 days. Even if you don't eat for 3 days and only drink water you will not lose 10 pounds in 3 days.

Don't believe everything you hear. There are no short cuts, healthy eating and exercise and consistancy are the keys to weight loss.

Good luck, you can do it!!

Old 04-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
(male)

dpman HB User

Thanks for all the advice! I will keep everyone updated on my progress. I'm going to try a low carb, low fat, low cal diet for the next 6 weeks.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
(female)

santo HB User

hey dpman- just remember never to go under 1200 calories (in fact your bare minimum may be more than that) and get plenty of water and protein in your diet. good luck!

Old 04-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #11
(female)

ibtara86 HB User

I just wanted to say that after reading some of what you guys have said I was a little upset. I just recently lost 25lbs in a month. Which was 4 weeks excatly. I'm 19 5'6 started at 230, now 205. It is possible, without starvation.

Thanks,
Signed the Melting Girl. :-)

Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

EoR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtara86
I just wanted to say that after reading some of what you guys have said I was a little upset. I just recently lost 25lbs in a month. Which was 4 weeks excatly. I'm 19 5'6 started at 230, now 205. It is possible, without starvation.

Thanks,
Signed the Melting Girl. :-)
How'd you do it? I'd love to lose 25 in a month.

Thanks. -EoR

Old 04-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #13

dreeeemer HB User

DPMan,

You are a male? Judging by your screen name I would say yes, but you never know!

I think that this is not too unrealistic of a goal (you could probably safely loose 15 or 20) giving that you are technically Obese with your BMI of apx. 34.1 (30 and over is obese). You need about 3300 calories per day (That is based on a 30 year old - dont know how old you are - if you are younger add about 100 calories, subtract if you are older) That number is the number of calories you need to eat to STAY where you are (and it is probably off, I used an online calculator, they can be unreliable)

So, with that said, you need to shave off 3500 calories (over the course of a week) to loose one pound a week. Reducing only 550 calories a day (say about 4 sodas or your after dinner ice cream) will get you one pound a week. Double that and you can loose your safe range of 2 pounds a week.

Now, all of that said, you are significantly overweight. If you really undertake and eat healthy EVERY DAY you really might be able to loose 15-20 pounds pretty easily. Start with a 20 minute (or what you can) walk every night after dinner. More if you can handle it. Keep your daily calories around 2500-2700 (you are probably eating MORE than the 3300 every day without realizing it) and make sure to write down everything. If you feel like a cookie, have one, but only ONE and try to not have dessert that night, or something else (no cheese on your sandwich, no extra helping of bread) to make up for it. EAT OFTEN and NEVER let yourself get hungry. I say this from experience because I do it all the time, forget to eat and wind up STARVING when I get home and stuff my face with chips or crackers, whatever is easiest to grab. Eat large quantities of veggies that have low calorie contents, you can eat 2 cups of green beans (I use frozen so they dont go bad) for only about 50 calories, so stock up!

My personal suggestion is protein (dont misake this with Low-Carb, which I think is impractical and doesnt work) try to get a good amount of your day from protein and fiber. Kashi cereal is the best for breakfast in my opinion (put some berries on it for more healthy vitamins), i can eat a half cup (but I am a 145lb female - you should eat more of it) and be hungry till lunch. Peanut butter is great, natural if you can stand the taste.

Good luck and don't worry too much, just stay away from full cal sodas, fast food and too much candy and replace it with walks, water and fiber/protien and you should see results.

Dre.

Last edited by dreeeemer; 04-13-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

EoR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreeeemer
DPMan,

You are a male? Judging by your screen name I would say yes, but you never know!

I think that this is not too unrealistic of a goal (you could probably safely loose 15 or 20) giving that you are technically Obese with your BMI of apx. 34.1 (30 and over is obese). You need about 3300 calories per day (That is based on a 30 year old - dont know how old you are - if you are younger add about 100 calories, subtract if you are older) That number is the number of calories you need to eat to STAY where you are (and it is probably off, I used an online calculator, they can be unreliable)

So, with that said, you need to shave off 3500 calories (over the course of a week) to loose one pound a week. Reducing only 550 calories a day (say about 4 sodas or your after dinner ice cream) will get you one pound a week. Double that and you can loose your safe range of 2 pounds a week.

Now, all of that said, you are significantly overweight. If you really undertake and eat healthy EVERY DAY you really might be able to loose 15-20 pounds pretty easily. Start with a 20 minute (or what you can) walk every night after dinner. More if you can handle it. Keep your daily calories around 2500-2700 (you are probably eating MORE than the 3300 every day without realizing it) and make sure to write down everything. If you feel like a cookie, have one, but only ONE and try to not have dessert that night, or something else (no cheese on your sandwich, no extra helping of bread) to make up for it. EAT OFTEN and NEVER let yourself get hungry. I say this from experience because I do it all the time, forget to eat and wind up STARVING when I get home and stuff my face with chips or crackers, whatever is easiest to grab. Eat large quantities of veggies that have low calorie contents, you can eat 2 cups of green beans (I use frozen so they dont go bad) for only about 50 calories, so stock up!

My personal suggestion is protein (dont misake this with Low-Carb, which I think is impractical and doesnt work) try to get a good amount of your day from protein and fiber. Kashi cereal is the best for breakfast in my opinion (put some berries on it for more healthy vitamins), i can eat a half cup (but I am a 145lb female - you should eat more of it) and be hungry till lunch. Peanut butter is great, natural if you can stand the taste.

Good luck and don't worry too much, just stay away from full cal sodas, fast food and too much candy and replace it with walks, water and fiber/protien and you should see results.

Dre.
What terrific information! I'm female, 170, 5ft 1. Am I significantly overweight? I think I must be. Probably at least 45-55 pounds, but I don't know at what point it becomes significant. I love how you calculated the BMI and the amount of calories the poster could consume/day and still lose. Impressive.

Thanks! -Eor

Old 04-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #15
(female)

midwestmom HB User

I think they say you are only supposed to lose 1 - 2 lbs. a week. I would really suggestion Weight Watchers meetings. They offer great support & the points plans are very easy. Good luck & happy cruising.

Closed Thread