It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 07:57 AM   #1

misery hates company HB User
Soda bloat?

HELP! IS it possible that diet soda is causing enough water retention to push my weight up 3-4 lbs? 2 days this week I drank about 3 diet sodas in a day (with my normal diet) and noticed the next day that I weighed in at approx. 127 w/ clothes and 125 in lighter clothes...as opposed to my usual 121.5-124.5 dry weight. I also notice that my belly seems a little bit poofier, and I all around feel bloated. The days where I have woken up after a day of no soda...I have been at my normal dry weight. Could it be the soda?

Emi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
(female)

townlake HB User
Re: Soda bloat?

You bet it is - My trainer made me give up any of the diet sodas due to dehydration. Also, they bloat one easily because of the fake stuff inside - I have been told if I MUST have a soda, drink a real one, but really should not have them at all!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Wink Re: Soda bloat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misery hates company
HELP! IS it possible that diet soda is causing enough water retention to push my weight up 3-4 lbs? 2 days this week I drank about 3 diet sodas in a day (with my normal diet) and noticed the next day that I weighed in at approx. 127 w/ clothes and 125 in lighter clothes...as opposed to my usual 121.5-124.5 dry weight. I also notice that my belly seems a little bit poofier, and I all around feel bloated. The days where I have woken up after a day of no soda...I have been at my normal dry weight. Could it be the soda?

Emi
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........YESSSSSSSSSS SSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I keep telling my sister also to knock the soda off because she is "always" complaining how "bloated" she is.

Melly

Old 04-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

All soda's are BAD if you are wanting to lose weight & inches. A regular 32 oz Coke has 237 calories and although a diet Coke doesn't have any calories, it's loaded with sodium which will make you feel bloated and dehydrate you. According to my trainer, if you are serious about losing weight & inches you have to give up soda. Drink it on your "cheat day". I have cut out soda (except on my cheat day) and immediately lost 5 lbs. My friend did the same and she lost 10 lbs. She has a lot more to lose than I do, so maybe that's why she lost more. Not sure, but everyone is different. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

sammy726 HB User

OK, now I know why I am always so bloated and uncomfortable. God, sometimes I have to unbutton my pants at my desk here at work!! I drink about 4 diet sodas a day, so I guess that is what the problem is. I always thought that sodium caused bloating, so what exactly in the diet soda causes us to bloat?? There really isn't that much sodium. I have a Diet DP with me right now and there is 35 mg per 8 fl. oz.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy726
OK, now I know why I am always so bloated and uncomfortable. God, sometimes I have to unbutton my pants at my desk here at work!! I drink about 4 diet sodas a day, so I guess that is what the problem is. I always thought that sodium caused bloating, so what exactly in the diet soda causes us to bloat?? There really isn't that much sodium. I have a Diet DP with me right now and there is 35 mg per 8 fl. oz.
I'm not sure what's in there that makes us bloat, but I get the bloated feeling so bad that my ring doesn't fit!

Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #7

misery hates company HB User

UPDATE! 2 days, no soda...regular diet. Back down to 121.5 dry! Yay!

Emi

Old 04-16-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

I read somewhere that in a lab study, that mice that were fed artificial sweetners actually GAINED weight in the long run. I believe the stuff stimulates your appetite, and you end up eating more than usual. I personally gave up artifical sweetners years ago...I don't care what the studies say, I say it simply cannot be good for you. I now drink tons of purified water...the best drink on earth!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

BethyGirlie HB User
Question Re: Soda bloat?

I drink a lot of diet mountain dew. It has been my beverage of choice, even though people always tell me that it's not good to drink too much because of the sodium. I want to be able to drink 8 glasses of water a day but I'm not good at that because I don't like the taste of water, I always want a little flavor. I like the flavored waters that are out, I wish they made gallon jugs of it :-) Anyway, does anyone know if putting a little lemon juice in the water helps with the taste?
I don't think I'll ever get away from diet soda. I like it too much, plus I don't know what I'd do without my diet mountain dew (I work night shift).

Thanks, guys.

Beth :-)

Closed Thread