It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #1

slnr232 HB User
Daily Calorie Intake

I have been excercising consistently for about two years and started a food diary about seven months ago. During the first six months, I would eat whatever I wanted, as long as it did not pass 1200 calories. However, I always ended up binging every 7 days. Those days I would eat like I would never see food again - anything in site went down my throat. I estimate that I would eat around 8000-10,000 calories. The next day I would be deeply upset with myself and determined not to do it again for a long time! My stomach would hurt afterwards, but nothing would stop me from hitting the fridge 7 days later.
I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to make a change. Obviously, I was feeling deprived and was tired of always going to bed hungry. As well, I wasn't eating enough nutritous foods, and had a great imbalance of calorie intake throughout the day. A normal day would be a pizza mini in the morning, and then 1000 calories when I got home. I was starving at around 5:00 pm, and would eat the 1000 calories quickly. Since the foods I ate were mostly unhealthy and had high glycemic indexes, I would always be hungry about 3 hours later. I was also exercising like crazy, before supper, so I could barely get through the exercises. I lost 32 lbs, but not in a safe or healthy way.
So I made a new plan. More calories throughout the day and more healthy foods. I eat
1400 calories 5 days a week
1600 calories 1 day a week
1800 calories 1 day a week/ or 2200 calories every two weeks in place of the 1800 calories
I decided to add in the 1600 and 1800/2200 calories a day because it feels similar to a cheat day - eating a bit more gets rid of the feelings of being deprived (even though I rarely feel this now). I have done this for about 20 days now and I feel fantastic! I admit that it is hard sometimes, especially on visits to my aunty (she tries to feed you ALL the time) but I remember that I have decided to change and don't want to spin back into the vicious cycle of eating like crazy. I also minimize hanging out with people that ecourage me to eat bad foods to keep me on track. I do feel bad sometimes for saying no all the time, only for the person offering, but oh well! There is nothing I can do about that.
The foods that I eat now include whole grains, bran, flax, yogurt, popcorn, tuna, chicken, fruits and veggies,no sugar applesauces, no sugar chocolate as treats, etc. Basically low glycemic index foods. I rarely eat junk food as it becomes easier ot over indulge. I eat 4-6 small meals a day as to keep my metabolism going and keep me satisfied.
Anyways, I suppose you should know my exercise back ground as well. I exercise 4-5 days a week for about two hours each time. I am going to college in the fall to become a personal trainer, so fitness is very important to me. I also walk to and from school everyday. I am female, and have a BMR of 1325 calories per day. I want to lose about 5-10 lbs/ one inch or so from my waist. It is always the last 5-10 that is the hardest to lose! I am very happy with my body and self. I finally feel worthy to change.
Just curious as to what anyone thinks about this. I would love any tips for those last stubborn pounds. Thanks very much.

Last edited by slnr232; 04-15-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Daily Calorie Intake

It sounds like you've found your answer. Congratulations on the 32 pound loss HOWEVER you did it. I have a friend who has controlled her weight at just under 100 pounds (her panic point) by eating sparingly every day but the pigging out EVERY Friday. She's held her weight and that eating pattern for the 20 years we've been friends.

Your new plan should be easier and work slowly but surely. If you stall you can always take the 1400's to 1300 but I think that your numbers will work with patients. BE CAREFUL that the 1800 calorie day doesn't slide up to a 3000 calorie day!

Old 04-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #3

slnr232 HB User
Re: Daily Calorie Intake

Thanks for all your advice. Yeah, I have to be pretty careful with those 1800 days, that is for sure. I was also thinking that it would take a bit longer to achieve my goals - I will definately go down to 1300 if I have problems. Well, I am losing inches slowly but the scale hasn't budged for about 4 months now! That kind of sounds like a problem! lol, I think that I will try the 1300 cal thing for a week and see how I feel.
Thanks again!

Closed Thread