It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

Summer_Lovin HB User
Question Weight loss, calories and exercise.

Hi,

I'm a 17 year old female about 5'2-5'3 and I weigh about 140 pounds. Well, I think I really need to lose about 20 pounds to be in a healthy weight range but I'm not sure the way to approach it.

I was wondering how many calories is an appropriate amount for me to be consuming?

A problem is I don't play any sports or anything and I don't really have time to go out and exercise because of school etc. So does anyone know what are some simple things I can do at home in my spare time?

Also what foods should be avoided entirely?I usually don't eat too many sweets. Coffee is a biggie for me though, I have to have one at least once a week. Also, my parents are always working and so they don't usually have time to cook so we usually head for take-out(bad i know). However, lately I've been purchasing the frozen food dinnners that have approx 300. But I was wondering if those are bad for you or not?Will they help with the weight loss?

Thanks for your time,

Summer_Lovin

Old 04-16-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

lindan HB User
Re: Weight loss, calories and exercise.

Frozen dinners may not be the healthiest food in the world but they are great to help when you don't have time to prepare a meal. Great too for portion control. Check out the "Boca" & "Morningstar" frozen dinners. They are made with soy instead of meat and have alot of protein. They taste great! Just don't forget to add fresh fruits & veggies. Takes just a second to grab some baby carrots, wash an apple or peel an orange. Some fast food places have fruit bowls and salads. Just stay away from anything fried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

Lysander HB User

Summer_Lovin,

If you'll be counting calories, then there is no food you will need to cut out "entirely." You can start by eating 1200 or 1300 calories a day from which ever foods you want, but it's in your best interest to choose low calorie, high protein, high fiber and nutritious foods. Remember to never, ever eat below 1200 calories a day, even if you don't feel hungry, because that's the point of starvation and it will harm both your body and your weight loss. If you begin to feel tired, weak, or dizzy, immediately eat and up your caloric intake by a hundred or two hundred calories.

You can lose weight without exercise, but exercise can double weight loss, so if you could get in about an hour and 20 minutes of walking, or some kind of exercise daily, that would be a great help. Some times you have to make time.

Straight coffee is very low in calories, but it's the milk, cream, and sugar that can get you. You can use artificial sweetener, but I don't know how many cals creamer has. If you're talking Starbucks, that *will* need to go. Starbucks coffees and other specialty, cream-loaded coffees can have up to 1000 calories a cup!

Stay away from the fast food places, unless you can find some low calorie alternatives there, like Subway's 270 calorie 6 inch Turkey Breast (w/0 cheese or dressing), or Arby's 320 calorie junior roast beef. Oh, yes--it's also good to eat often. Eat every three or four hours if you can. This keeps your metabolism up and keeps you from getting hungry. It can actually feel like you're eating all the time.

I wish you luck!

Old 04-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
(female)

Summer_Lovin HB User

Thanks for all of that!

Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
(female)

charcharlotte HB User

LYSANDER: Question! I've been aiming for 1100 calories per day, and I exercise at least 30minutes each day, usually I do 60, sometimes up to 90 minutes. But I haven't lost a pound. Will 1200 calories be adequate? How does exercise factor into the "starvation" mode?

Old 04-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

Lysander HB User

charcarlotte:

It sounds like you are eating too little. There is a fine line between dieting and starvation. Starvation mode is a defense mechanism of the body; when it feels it isn't getting enough calories, it becomes super-efficient at managing the calories it does get, and begins to protect its fat reserves and instead breaks down muscle tissue to draw energy from. In addition to damaging important muscles such as the heart and taking away attractive muscle definition, it also slows your metabolism down to a crawl, making weight loss difficult.

At what range the body enters starvation mode is different for everyone, so if you aren't losing and you're eating so little, definitely try eating 1200 or 1300.

Exercise burns calories, so it will only make it harder on you if your body feels it isn't getting enough in the first place. Usually it's only something to consider if the exercise is especially brutal or prolonged, such as long work-out sessions or working a physically strenuous job. But exercise also speeds the metabolism up, so rather than lighten your exercise routine, I'd eat more (something that also raises metabolism).

Closed Thread