It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

wheatwife HB User
Share your favorite low cal snacks! (Plus, ways to avoid junk food temptations)

I posted this on diet and nutrition, and then realized my post should have gone here! Maybe we can all get and give some good ideas here.

Some of mine are: Stacy's Soy Thin Chips, peperocinis, pickled/hot asparagas or cauliflower, albacore tuna right out of the can, Spicy V-8 with added cayenne, low fat beef jerkey, all followed by water to help me feel full!

My newest way to resist that donut or piece of fudge is to reach around and grab a handful of what I'm trying to lose around my middle. Feeling the cellulite works every time! (I have to watch out in public though!)

Old 04-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
(female)

Mstngfan HB User
Re: Share your favorite low cal snacks! (Plus, ways to avoid junk food temptations)

used to have yogurt with granola as a snack alot...lately Ive been having jollytime healthy pop which is good stuff...250 calories in the whole bag so as a snack if youre splitting it with somebody thats really good.

Also when I crave desert, smart ones makes good deserts...I got the little round raspberry cheesecakes. Its a teeny portion which keeps it to 150 calories but damn its good!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

townlake HB User
Re: Share your favorite low cal snacks! (Plus, ways to avoid junk food temptations)

I so believe in Skinny Cows - if I could, I would have a pasture full of them. Just one is enough cause they are good size -

Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #4

llamamuffinmama HB User

a wasa or ryvita whole grain (rye) cracker with salsa or a little hummus and veggies

gardenburger breakfast sausage patty (only 100 calories, but lots of protein for a nice energy boost when i'm hungry)

fruit: berries, melon, apples, citrus, pineapple, etc.

a few dried figs or dates with a tablespoon of almond butter

a baked potato with salsa is about 120 calories

cup of vegetable soup

vietnamese vegetable spring roll (with lettuce, carrot, cilantro, tofu) in rice paper. (_not_ to be confused with the fried egg roll)

handful of snow peas, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots or other veggies

primal strips vegan jerky. YUM.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
(female)

wheatwife HB User

Oh, Llamamama, your spring roll idea sounds really good. Do you have a special recipe you use for it? I have some low-fat eggrolls I make which I bake in the oven, and they're DEEEE-lish!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #6

llamamuffinmama HB User

wheatwife, i don't have a precise recipe, but they are very simple to make, and you can use a variety of veggies depending on what you have on hand.

you can buy rice paper wraps (dried) at asian markets and at most supermarkets with an asian or international aisle.

simply take out a sheet or two of rice paper, and soak it in a bowl of lukewarm water one sheet at a time until soft and pliable. remove it from the bowl, shake off excess water and pat dry. lay it down on a plate, and fill the center with the sliced or minced veggies i mentioned before or others (mushrooms marinated in a little soy sauce, sliced tomato, green pepper, grated cabbage, whatever you like). wrap up like a burrito and lay seam side down on plate. make as many as you want, they'll keep in the fridge, tightly wrapped in plastic, for a few days. fresh basil inside instead of cilantro is nice, too.

i like a traditional peanut sauce with these, but to reduce the fat and calories a little, i thin a spoonful of hoisin sauce with a small amount of water, and dip them in. sometimes with a few chopped peanuts on top for a little crunch.

enjoy!

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 04-19-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #7

dreeeemer HB User

Muffin and others,

Your recipe sound so incredibly good!!! i just went to Whole Foods and now I am mad I didnt have this earlier!! they make these at The Cheesecake Factory, they are called Vietnamese Summer Rolls and I LOVE them. The CF ones have shrimp, cilantro, carrots and some other stuff rolled into a paper thin shell and they have peanut sauce and a cilantro sauce on the side. YUM!

Does anyone have a guess what the calorie content would be for something like this? Tofu or shrimp, I am sure both would be fab!

Old 04-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
(male)

Haulin200 HB User

NO doubt the best thing is Starbucks frozen low fat frapachino bars.
just 120 calories... im eating one now.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulin200
NO doubt the best thing is Starbucks frozen low fat frapachino bars.
just 120 calories... im eating one now.

Sounds good, but I have not only watch the calories, but also the sugar. How much sugar in those?

Old 04-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #10

slnr232 HB User

One of my favorite snacks is oatmeal - I love eating all types - prepackaged ones and stove cooked oatmeal. Calories range from 118 - 180 depending on what kind I have.
I also love to have yogurt with bran cereal in it . Numm! I eat "La Creme" Danone things at about 140 calories (again depending on kind) and 15 gram bran cereal at about 50 calories (different kinds). However, the yogurt is very high in sugar - 17 grams per 113 serving! I don't like that one bit, but I just can't resist them!
I also eat sugarless candies - I can't remember the brand, but they have turtles, truffles, and mint patties at 40 cal each candy. They really help to beat those urges for sweets.
What else? I sometimes take a whole wheat pita - about 130 cal per 42 gram serving, and put cucumbers, sliced red onion, and lettuce in it with one tbsp plum sauce at 20 cal. That was actually part of my lunch today
I also eat alot of popcorn - so little calories! And veggies with salsa makes a nice light snack!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #11

JanetinHouston HB User

Fat free chocolate pudding cup with fat free cool whip on top!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #12

llamamuffinmama HB User

the rice paper spring roll wrappers are less than 50 calories apiece and are fat free. so, if you have one of those wrapped up with veggies, a little tofu, some herbs, and a little hoisin, you're probably in the 100-125 calorie neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #13
(female)

charcharlotte HB User

No Pudge no sugar added "giant sundae cones"- chocolate. 110 calories, 7 g protein, 3.5 g fat, 22 carb, 6! fiber. DELISH! A treat to look forward to: always worth the wait.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #14
(female)

missmanda05 HB User

I really like low fat baked chips, especially when i'm craving salt or crunchy..they are so good and only 3.5 grams of fat and cant remember the calories but their really helpfull....I whole peanuts roasted their good and fill you up..I heard almonds are good for you...I am 5'2 and 164 lbs...I am a curvy gal and want to keep some curves I just wanna loose about 30-35 lbs....Eating is easy and watching what you eat is very hard at times...I wish the best of luck to all you dieters out there you know how hard it is....Keep us posted..

Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
(female)

wheatwife HB User

What a bunch of yummy and wonderful ideas! I love it. It is taking away from the "boredom" of the same ol' diet foods! Thanks for all your input!

Closed Thread