It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Weight Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
(female)

Corrie88 HB User
Question about dieting!! need help!!

Well, I've been dieting for about two years now. I lost about 8 pounds a year ago by reducing my calories and exercising more, but since then I have gained it back and more! I've been trying to lose it again, but haven't had much luck. I've been keeping track of all the calories I eat and how many I burn everyday, but it seems as though it is getting out of hand. It's all I think about, and I sick of it. I want to just be able to not worry about every single calorie I eat, but I also don't want to gain weight (i wanna lose it!). The advice I need is, do you think I would lose more weight by counting all of my calories all the time, or can I lose just as much weight by watching my portions and not counting every single calorie I eat and burn? I've seen people lose weight and not have to count every single calorie, but I'm scared that if I do that I'll gain even more weight! Please! I need your help!! thanks!!! What have you done to lose weight? what has helped? any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Re: Question about dieting!! need help!!

Corrie,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've found a program that might suit you quite well. I've just started it, and I have 100+ lbs. to lose. It's Bob Greene's "Get With The Program!". It's a complete lifestyle change, but nothing that is drastic that anyone who puts their mind to it can't do. The book starts by having you exercise (slowly working up to exercise, it starts out by just having you move more each day), and drinking six 8 oz. glasses of water every day. There are four Phases in the book, and that's Phase I. You don't really start to change you eating habits until Phase III. The theory is that if you begin to work on your body before you change your eating habits, that your metabolism will increse, and will burn fat effectively. If you start out by changing your eating habits first, your body sees the lack of what you've been eating as starving, and stores the fat instead of burning it.

This program is great if you're an emotional eater, like myself. Of course everyone is different, so this might not be the program for you. I thought I'd put in my two cents just incase it may help. I would say too, that counting calories isn't as useful as watching the portions of what you eat...I've tried the calorie counting thing, and I actually gained weight because it was so frustrating to me.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find what works for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

Mama2QTZ HB User

Are you actually writing all of your food down in a journal? I read a study once about how people who keep track of thier calories in thier head end up eating more throughout the day than those who journaled. Also if you aren't already, try to think portion control, I measure everything I eat (well what I can anyways). I have so many different cups and spoons and scales it's silly. Plus when I eat out I live by my calorie king pocket book. And of course water, lots and lots of it!! Good Luck!!

Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

Corrie88 HB User

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I was actually writing down everything I ate in a journal and making sure I stayed below 1,600 calories, but I'm just tired of doing it. I feel as though writing everything downs is making me obsessed with what I eat. I mean, I know how to eat healthy and I know what foods are bad for me, so I feel as though I don't need to obsess about how many calories I have. I just don't want to end up gaining weight....

Old 05-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Corrie,

It's dreary indeed but I manage to write down every item with it's calories as soon as I eat it. Food is weighed on a gram scale when necessary.
WITHOUT keeping close track I can slowly glide my calories up 500-700 calories per day while rationalizing all the way. That's a pound or more a week weight gain or 50 pounds in a year.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Short of being locked ina cell, there's only one way to control total food intake.
To be honest, I don't think a day's total tabulations takes more than 15 minutes and that includes a couple of lookups on the USDA site! It's worth the effort.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

1600 calories a day is quite a bit unless you are a tall, large boned person to begin with. I did/do WW and count points. It really takes very little time as a lot of foods on WW are 0 points...you sort of figure it out pretty quickly and I just wrote it down as I ate...also made me stop and think about what I was eating....

Old 05-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

I have never counted calories because it would not mean anything. What is more important what composition of your meals are, i.e. protein, carb, sort of carb, etc. Therefore, I have counted my protein and carb intake for a pretty long time but now I felt that I no longer need counting protein as what I would normally eat is what my body actually needs. I still find it important to count by carb intake because I have to consume a lot, and I may be confused during the day if not counting them.

Last edited by Dexter77; 05-28-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User

If you cut out sugar, you'll for sure lose weight. I have lowered my carb intake and it works! I'm not doing the Atkins. I don't think it's a very good diet to follow. I don't eat fried foods. I stay away from refined carbs. Eat alot of protein. I low carbed before. I didn't do the Atkins, but I stayed away from fried foods, sugar, and anything white. I lost about 15 lbs and a good bit of inches. I've gained some of it back. That's the only thing about low carbing is when you go back to eating normal, the weight comes back quick! Plus more sometimes. So now I'm just basically staying away from sugar. Your refined carbs are the worse. And I can't stress exercise enough. I exercise every day. I may miss sometimes, but I try not to. And lifting weights is excellent. It burns calories 24 hrs a day. I'm fixing to start lifting. I'm just waiting on my hubby to put my gym up. Hopefully that will be soon. Btw, have you had your thyroid checked? That may be the problem. Good luck!

MikaelasMommy

Old 05-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I maintain that a person, on ANY proportion of foods that he chooses, will get fat if he eats too many calories and lose weight if he eats too few.
You can get fat or thin on a perfectly balanced supply of food...HOW MUCH is the only determinant which way you go.
Whether you count calories or count points, you are on a "HOW MUCH" kind of diet.

That's why the "only this" and "never that" diets make no sense...they only work if they result in LESS FOOD!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-30-2005 at 07:43 AM.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I maintain that a person, on ANY proportion of foods that he chooses, will get fat if he eats too many calories and lose weight if he eats too few.
You can get fat or thin on a perfectly balanced supply of food...HOW MUCH is the only determinant which way you go.
Whether you count calories or count points, you are on a "HOW MUCH" kind of diet.

That's why the "only this" and "never that" diets make no sense...they only work if they result in LESS FOOD!
"Too many" and "too few" depend on a number of factors but probably one of the most important is your metabolic rate. If yours is fast enough, you can eat much more, but if it is very slow, you may face stagnation in fat loss despite the fact that you are consuming too few calories.

Closed Thread